TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

Soooooo.......

Can anyone confirm that Golfsmith is due a shipment of these clubs in anyday now??? I guess I could call here in Dallas but was wondering if these clubs have appeared yet to anyone's knowledge?

Wow, you just read my mind. I was on the phone with TaylorMade just now and they can confirm that shipments are going out.

I may get lynched for this but I find these irons "feel" very similair to a lot of Mizuno's that I've swung. When struck well they have a clean ball flight with a crisp sound but good golly there are things they don't like. Our ground is still quite wet out here and that sharp edge took a dive further in the turf then Jay Culter when he's about to be sacked. What I did find really neat with the CB's is that they punish a fat shot more then a thin shot IMO. As a sweeper I tend to hit things thin but even when it was thinned pretty badly, the shot kept it's line. Lost major distance but an excellent line.

Do I like them? Yup. Am I willing to give up 9 to 12 yards a club vs the 2.0's/CG16's? Nope. These are an excellent iron that I believe nearly anyone could play and could have a fantastic time with (but I like the longer distance iron's currently).

I really have to give TM a bucket full of credit here. They've made a forged iron that should IMO should be right up there with Mizuno's recent forged irons. Perhaps that comment won't go over hugely with them (TM) but it seems that when I see most people go forged, they make a bee line to Mizuno. That shouldn't be the case anymore. Good on ya TM!

Last edited:
I like your honesty Super Tuna!

I may get lynched for this but I find these irons "feel" very similair to a lot of Mizuno's that I've swung. When struck well they have a clean ball flight with a crips sound but good golly there are things they don't like. Our ground is still quite wet out here and that sharp edge took a dive further in the turf then Jay Culter when he's about to be sacked. What I did find really neat with the CB's is that they punish a fat shot more then a thin shot IMO. As a sweeper I tend to hit things thin but even when it was thinned pretty badly, the shot kept it's line. Lost major distance but an excellent line.

Do I like them? Yup. Am I willing to give up 9 to 12 yards a club vs the 2.0's/CG16's? Nope. These are an excellent iron that I believe nearly anyone could play and could have a fantastic time with (but I like the longer distance iron's currently).

I really have to give TM a bucket full of credit here. They've made a forged iron that shoIMO should be right up there with Mizuno's recent forged irons. Perhaps that comment won't go over hugely with them (TM) but it seems that when I see most people go forged, they make a bee line to Mizuno. That shouldn't be the case anymore. Good on ya TM!

Very good post and I agree about the thin and fat thing.

great post ST....love your honest feedback
I may get lynched for this but I find these irons "feel" very similair to a lot of Mizuno's that I've swung. When struck well they have a clean ball flight with a crisp sound but good golly there are things they don't like. Our ground is still quite wet out here and that sharp edge took a dive further in the turf then Jay Culter when he's about to be sacked. What I did find really neat with the CB's is that they punish a fat shot more then a thin shot IMO. As a sweeper I tend to hit things thin but even when it was thinned pretty badly, the shot kept it's line. Lost major distance but an excellent line.

I really have to give TM a bucket full of credit here. They've made a forged iron that should IMO should be right up there with Mizuno's recent forged irons. Perhaps that comment won't go over hugely with them (TM) but it seems that when I see most people go forged, they make a bee line to Mizuno. That shouldn't be the case anymore. Good on ya TM!

Thanks guys!

Quality, honest feed back from the testers is what makes these threads so amazing, so if I can add a bit here and there I'm right chuffed.

I ordered my set from Golfsmith and I received them Tuesday. They shipped straight from Taylormade so I guess they are on the way. Can't wait till tomorrow to hit them for the first time. It's killing me. LoL. :D

I think that's a question that a few of us have right now, but I don't think it's just distance vs accuracy as the CB's have some other very desirable traits too. I love the weighting, turf interaction, feel, the smaller head, and the looks in general. Those are all things that come into play when you look at one iron vs another. I picked these over the S3's so far and it wasn't just becasue of the accuracy. I think I said to TC at one point that distance is great, but it isn't everything. Right now, I am satisfied with how far I'm hitting the ball with these. They play right into my gaps at both ends and are certainly not a short iron. They just aren't as long as some irons on the market today.

That's a great statement right there. If you are happy, that's all that matters IMO. If something works, just like you want it too, then there's no point in changing a thing.

Which isn't a bad thing necessarily. It means you can continue to ponder and test!

Oh, there will be pondering followed by some testing!!

Nice post and I definitely agree on the CB's being more forgiving low on the face. I've noticed it quite a few times as well.

I sifted through today's posts and I'm sort of blah on the whole distance debate right now. In the end, you have to find an iron that you feel confident with in your hands. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of a couple of the longer irons out there, but I was a big fan of a couple others. I can't afford to make a choice based on that aspect alone because, quite frankly, I really just want something that I hit well consistently more than anything. At the moment, the CB's seem to fit my swing well and I'm enjoying my time playing with them.

That said, my job here is to say with honesty what I like and what I don't like about these irons. Hopefully you all agree that I'm doing that. We will all make our choices in clubs for different reasons.

All the talk of leading edges in the 588 wedge thread and reading more of the posts about the turf interaction of the CB's made me pull out some of the irons tonight to take a look and lo and behold, sharper edges than some of the other irons sets I have sitting around the house. I never really noticed that before but you can definitely tell the difference between other sets and these. I'm guessing that the reasoning behind that is to get the bottom of the club where the perimeter weighting is down and into the ball more so than a club that doesn't have such a sharp leading edge? Really liked seeing that first hand tonight and that thought may actually make me try to get into the turf to take a divot, etc.

There seems to be a lot of talk about the leading edge of these irons and their interaction with the turf, and I was hoping for a little clarification from those of you that have the irons. There has been some discussion of these issues, but maybe not in a way that helps me understand it that well.

So my question is, when you take a divot does the club head 1) dig deeper into the ground as a result of the sharper edge, thereby resulting in drastically reduced club head speed? Or another way to put it 2) when taking a divot, does the club have any issues gliding through the ground? Does it put heavy strain on your wrists to drag the club through, or does the momentum and leading edge do a pretty good job of getting through the turf?

Keep in mind I'm not as concerned about whether the ball still goes far or anything like that. If I hit a fat shot, I hit a fat shot. I just want to know if my wrists are going to break when i do catch the ground 6 inches behind the ball.

There seems to be a lot of talk about the leading edge of these irons and their interaction with the turf, and I was hoping for a little clarification from those of you that have the irons. There has been some discussion of these issues, but maybe not in a way that helps me understand it that well.

So my question is, when you take a divot does the club head 1) dig deeper into the ground as a result of the sharper edge, thereby resulting in drastically reduced club head speed? Or another way to put it 2) when taking a divot, does the club have any issues gliding through the ground? Does it put heavy strain on your wrists to drag the club through, or does the momentum and leading edge do a pretty good job of getting through the turf?

Keep in mind I'm not as concerned about whether the ball still goes far or anything like that. If I hit a fat shot, I hit a fat shot. I just want to know if my wrists are going to break when i do catch the ground 6 inches behind the ball.

You beat me to the punch. I was going to put up a post on this today. The leading edge is quite sharp causing a different kind of turf interaction than say a wider soled GI iron. However do not fear that, in fact based on the clubs you are currently playing, embrace it. The leading edge here will not cause someone that is a picker to become a digger by any means and I dont believe it is leading to deeper grass interaction (not noticeably anyway). It just does not bounce off the turf like some rounded soles do. I look at it like playing out of a bunker. A larger sole (bounce) can assist in not digging into the sand immediately for some and this could be the same here if that makes sense.

I have a bad wrist and it has not caused any more strain to that area at all. In fact it may be a blessing because I take pretty big divots normally and with these I find them to dig in properly rather than having to use extra wrist action to get that interaction.

I have a bad wrist and it has not caused any more strain to that area at all. In fact it may be a blessing because I take pretty big divots normally and with these I find them to dig in properly rather than having to use extra wrist action to get that interaction.

Probably from posting on an on-line golf forum all day :alien:.

Probably from posting on an on-line golf forum all day :alien:.

Or from being flipped over backwards dunking a basketball and landing on my wrist. But definitely one of the two. :alien:

Or from being flipped over backwards dunking a basketball and landing on my wrist. But definitely one of the two. :alien:

An 8' rim isn't that high up.

Back to topic: I usually take a very small divot, I worry with players irons that they will dig too much for me. Sounds like the CBs are much more forgiving in that area.

An 8' rim isn't that high up.

Back to topic: I usually take a very small divot, I worry with players irons that they will dig too much for me. Sounds like the CBs are much more forgiving in that area.

Maybe now, but certainly not in the past.

My guess is some would dig quite a bit on you and these might too, but I definitely think they should be on the testing block.

I definitely think they should be on the testing block.

Weren't they supposed to be release this week? I was in Golf Galaxy yesterday buying some Slazenger Raw Distance balls - eerrr......two Rescue 11s, and they hadn't gotten them in yet.

Weren't they supposed to be release this week? I was in Golf Galaxy yesterday buying some Slazenger Raw Distance balls - eerrr......two Rescue 11s, and they hadn't gotten them in yet.

They started shipping this week.

My club in McKinney, TX just sent out an email stating that are having a TM demo day on April 2nd....SWEET! JB or others, I still want to do a Golftec fitting when they come out but then maybe wait till the demo day so I can hit the clubs on the turf......any pros or cons with that approach? Put more stock in one or the other?

What do I need to look for with the Golftec fitting.....distance compared to old clubs (X-20's), launch angle......anything else?

My club in McKinney, TX just sent out an email stating that are having a TM demo day on April 2nd....SWEET! JB or others, I still want to do a Golftec fitting when they come out but then maybe wait till the demo day so I can hit the clubs on the turf......any pros or cons with that approach? Put more stock in one or the other?

What do I need to look for with the Golftec fitting.....distance compared to old clubs (X-20's), launch angle......anything else?

Go in with a completely open mind about all clubs. Then choose based on that.

Thanks for the info on the turf interaction. That really clears it up for me.

As for the release date, my local Golf Galaxy was going to get them in on March 15, but then, for whatever reason, they told me it got pushed back to March 25. Worked out for me, b/c i found out my local pro shop is getting these irons in about the same time, AND they are getting the Taylormade Select Fit cart/fitting station. Seems like I'll probably just goto where the TM fitting cart is.

I am getting so excited to hit these irons. I've always wanted to own a player's iron, but always thought I wasn't good enough, but from the sound of things these still have some decent forgiveness. I am still looking at the 2.0s and though too. If I get this TMAG membership then I would be foolish to not go with a TM iron. 2.0 or CBs... the $ savings can go to something else in my bag.

I love the 2.0s, but secretly, I hope I fall in love with the CBs too. I think I hit the 2.0s a little too high so I would need a lot of work done on them I think. Possibly different shafts, but if not I would still have to shorten them 1/2 or inch to fit me. Short guy at 5'7".

I buddy, I saw where you posted twice and are just looking for some feedback, sorry you got overlooked. I think if you can get a deal with TM then there is absolutely NO reason not to buy TM equipment. I also see that your Hdcp is a 9, if it is truly a 9 then I think you will easily be able to game the CB's. they are no so much considered a players iron but a game enhancement iron mixed with a game improvement iron. If you are hitting the 2.0's too high I would try a different shaft in them, but that would be the case with any iron. I personally love the CB's and from the sounds of it I think you will too. Being 5'7 I would recommend that you get fit for whichever clubs you decide on...also I think you need to hit the CB's and the 2.0's to make sure you pick the right club for you. Good luck and please let me know what you come up with or if you have any other questions.

thanks for the honest feedback, I agree with the thin/fat shots comment. But I do have to say that I dont think these feel like Mizzies. I personally do not like the feel of Mizzies, I have said it all along. I love the feel of these so I guess there is no way I would compare the two.

well, I had my first bad day with my CB's yesterday but it was of no fault of the irons. my ball striking with my irons just went away, I couldnt really get it together. 2nd hole was a par 3 that read 154, I played a 9 iron and pushed it a bit right and ended up just short and right of the green, The shot felt very pure and was a user error, I got up and down for a par. 3rd hole was a par 5, I teed off to the middle of the fairway (loving the R11)...hit a smooth 8 iron to 150 again in the middle of the fairway. the pin was in the fron so I decided to take a PW and came up about 3 yards short but right on line. the ball flight and feel was again incredible. The course we played was not in very good condition but the smaller sole had no problem getting through the turf and allowing for me to put a god swing on the ball. the 4th hole was a par 4, it was playing rather short, so I took my 5 iron and was playing to the 150, well I absolutely nutted the ball and ended up about 100 from the pin and stuck one close. When I hit the 5 iron it felt so smooth and pure off the face, the ball flight was a very nice boaring trajectory. I was thinking it was just going to be a great da of golf for me...but then the wheels started coming off, I hit some really bad shots with my irons, I was coming from the outside in and just not putting a good swing on it. I did hit a shot with my 7 iron that I caught very thin, the ball went straight as an arrown and I ended up on the green, it was not pretty but I can say I was happy with the results as it was about 15 feet from the hole. Yet again, I walked away very impressed with my CB's just not a good ball striking day

Back