Taylormade Burner 2.0 Irons & THP Testing

Andrea would have my head among other things lol. I snuck some 2.0 a few weeks ago and was bit by the bug. Right when I was feeling great with the Nikes. The 2.0's were sweeeet. Haha. Maybe though. Both hve their strong points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yocco been cheatin on the Machspeeds.

This thread is making me feel guilty, because now I want to ditch my SZ's that were bought for me by my parents as a gift for 2.0s...

This thread is making me feel guilty, because now I want to ditch my SZ's that were bought for me by my parents as a gift for 2.0s...

i'm sure your folks would understand, haha. i've never hit the SZ's myself so i honestly couldn't tell you whether or not one is better than the other, but i do dig the 2.0's. they've literally made golf easier for me.

i'm sure your folks would understand, haha. i've never hit the SZ's myself so i honestly couldn't tell you whether or not one is better than the other, but i do dig the 2.0's. they've literally made golf easier for me.

You're just using the stock 2.0 shafts right TC? Or did you upgrade?

Lol well they're teh size of garden shovels, and balls climb harder than a home sick angel with them. They're also as forgiving as possible - I hit one off the toe end of the face [half the ball mark was on the grooves, half on the chrome] and the ball still flew perfectly straight. They do however seem to be a bit short - but that could be my own swing lacking balls. I'm at least 10-20 yards behind my friend who uses RAC OS's

You're just using the stock 2.0 shafts right TC? Or did you upgrade?

stock shaft. i don't believe i'm going to upgrade either. i like them just the way they are.

stock shaft. i don't believe i'm going to upgrade either. i like them just the way they are.

Right on. Ball flight is low enough for you?

Morbid curiosity... which shafts did you play in your previous set?

Hope to find a left handed set of these and try them out soon!

Hope to find a left handed set of these and try them out soon!

i have a left handed set and i love them, haha.

i hope you can find them in order to try them out. seriously impressive iron from top to bottom. i love everything about them. it took me a little while longer than i expected to get use to them but i feel like i'm finally getting there. i'm finding the sweet spot much more consistently and the results are just awesome!

let us know if/when you get a chance to demo them.

So I took my set out yesterday for the first time for a quick range session. I started with the PW. I was getting about 115-120 out of it. 115 is what I was hitting my Scratch 48*, so I was a little disappointed. I was really hoping for a solid 125 from the PW and about 115 from the AW. After that I hit a few of my old 7i and was pretty consistently just short of 150, which is normal. I pulled the Burner 2.0 8i and it was going just about the same, but with a much higher trajectory and landed with not much roll-out. I ran out of range balls and time, so I didn't go any further into the set.

I did come away with a few impressions. Feedback isn't what I expected, but it's better than some other GI/SGI sets I've tried. These have fairly high MOI, but set up like my X-Forged. The sweet spot is definitely on the hosel side of the face. A couple hits towards the toe still went straight, but lost a good 5-10 yards. The sound is amazing, they did a good job there. The face is very sensitive to sand particles, but the soles don't have a mark on them. Kinda bummed and confused about that. Lastly, these things are amazingly heavy. My current set is around D2. These Burners are closer to D5.

So I took my set out yesterday for the first time for a quick range session. I started with the PW. I was getting about 115-120 out of it. 115 is what I was hitting my Scratch 48*, so I was a little disappointed. I was really hoping for a solid 125 from the PW and about 115 from the AW. After that I hit a few of my old 7i and was pretty consistently just short of 150, which is normal. I pulled the Burner 2.0 8i and it was going just about the same, but with a much higher trajectory and landed with not much roll-out. I ran out of range balls and time, so I didn't go any further into the set.

I did come away with a few impressions. Feedback isn't what I expected, but it's better than some other GI/SGI sets I've tried. These have fairly high MOI, but set up like my X-Forged. The sweet spot is definitely on the hosel side of the face. A couple hits towards the toe still went straight, but lost a good 5-10 yards. The sound is amazing, they did a good job there. The face is very sensitive to sand particles, but the soles don't have a mark on them. Kinda bummed and confused about that. Lastly, these things are amazingly heavy. My current set is around D2. These Burners are closer to D5.

i would agree completely! it's my only negative concerning these irons. first time i hit a ball out of a fairway bunker with my 8 iron, you can still see the impressions in the pvd finish. it annoys the crap out of me.

i would agree completely! it's my only negative concerning these irons. first time i hit a ball out of a fairway bunker with my 8 iron, you can still see the impressions in the pvd finish. it annoys the crap out of me.

+2, I have hit a ton of balls on the range with these irons and many rounds of golf and they never had a mark on the finish until the other day I hit a 6 iron out of a fairway bunker and toed it a bit. Later in the round I had a long green side bunker shot and I used the AW, it was a good result and the first time I had used the AW in a bunker. After the round I was cleaning my clubs and what did I see but I mark on the toe of the 6 iron and some scratch and marks on the AW. Not a big deal really but I had been very impressed at how the finish was holding up but I think we found its kryptonite.
Ben J too bad you ran out of range balls because the lower irons in the 2.0's is where they really shine. For me I am getting 5 yards longer distance in the 2.0's compared to my old set, in the AW-9 iron, about 10 yards difference in the 8-6 irons and about 15 yards longer with the 5 and 4 irons. The distance gapping however I find to be perfect with these irons as I am seeing almost exactly 12-15 yard gaps in all the irons. TC and other testers have said before about swinging these clubs is that you must have a smooth even tempo swing with these irons. If you try to go after it they don't do near as well as a nice smooth swing. As for feedback I think they are good. When you hit the ball on the sweet spot the feeling is one of vacancy, like the ball wasn't even there. As I have gotten more and more used to them I have found that I can tell if I hit the ball a groove low, or towards the toe or heel. Overall I think that the more time you spend with these, as I think all the testers can attest to, you will fall in love with them a little more each time you hit them. Good luck man.

my 2.0's and i have a date with a friend of mine who owns the local golfusa franchise. we're going to be doing some lie adjusting today. i've been catching balls a little out on the toe and i believe i need to have them bent a hair upright. i'm going to go through every single club on the lie board and get everything "tour'd" up for me. i hope they don't need major bending as i'm not sure how receptive they may be. my feeling is that they need to be bent upright a degree or two. i really love these irons.

my 2.0's and i have a date with a friend of mine who owns the local golfusa franchise. we're going to be doing some lie adjusting today. i've been catching balls a little out on the toe and i believe i need to have them bent a hair upright. i'm going to go through every single club on the lie board and get everything "tour'd" up for me. i hope they don't need major bending as i'm not sure how receptive they may be. my feeling is that they need to be bent upright a degree or two. i really love these irons.

Good luck TC. Let us know how it goes and how easy it is to adjust them. I was told once I ordered mine that you should be able to adjust the lie angle about 1* after the fact.

Good luck TC. Let us know how it goes and how easy it is to adjust them. I was told once I ordered mine that you should be able to adjust the lie angle about 1* after the fact.

well, i warmed up and then proceeded to hit my 5 iron - PW, 10 balls each off the lie board. i was consistently hitting the middle of the club face and when i was off it was near the toe, and the tape confirmed that i need to have them adjusted 1* upright. the shop owner contacted Taylormade and they pretty much said that i would have to have them bent at my own risk. i left them with the guy at the shop as he had a lesson to conduct but i am going to have a little faith and have them bent. i hope nothing bad happens, that may make me feel sick.

i am pumped about getting this done. i hope it really helps take me to that next level once my golf season really starts up.

well, i warmed up and then proceeded to hit my 5 iron - PW, 10 balls each off the lie board. i was consistently hitting the middle of the club face and when i was off it was near the toe, and the tape confirmed that i need to have them adjusted 1* upright. the shop owner contacted Taylormade and they pretty much said that i would have to have them bent at my own risk. i left them with the guy at the shop as he had a lesson to conduct but i am going to have a little faith and have them bent. i hope nothing bad happens, that may make me feel sick.

i am pumped about getting this done. i hope it really helps take me to that next level once my golf season really starts up.

So by doing this you are expecting to hit the sweet spot a little sweeter now? Im sure they'll be fine dude. TM just has to cover their own arse, like a worst case scenario type thing.

I would think 1 degree would be fine. I know when I worked @ golf galaxy they used to tell people they could bend 2 degrees either way if they were cast. If it was more they wouldn't do it. I think they will be fine TC. Did you not include your 3 and 4 irons because of the Mashie?

I would think 1 degree would be fine. I know when I worked @ golf galaxy they used to tell people they could bend 2 degrees either way if they were cast. If it was more they wouldn't do it. I think they will be fine TC. Did you not include your 3 and 4 irons because of the Mashie?

yeah, as of right now, the mashie is firmly planted my friend. i'll be adding another one after the outing more than likely (if i can wait).

Hope it goes well TC. I've thinking of checking some specs on my current irons as well. ORRRRRR hitting these guys at the outing and going from there. I'm in no rush. These 2.0's just keep giving me the eye's when I walk past them.

yeah, as of right now, the mashie is firmly planted my friend. i'll be adding another one after the outing more than likely (if i can wait).

Why do you need to wait for the outing? You already know the Mashie is legit.

Why do you need to wait for the outing? You already know the Mashie is legit.

he wants to try that new Nike hybrid out! I am planning on going to the outing with 1 mashie and then when I get back I may order a second or see what else worked for me.

Back