Srixon Z-Star Irons

I know I know. I'm not venting at you, just venting. It sux.

Trust me, i was planning on going to the demo day but right before I was gonna sign up I got military orders. That is why I am in San Antonio TX now or else I would be at the THP demo day. Hope everybody has a great time.

I know I know. I'm not venting at you, just venting. It sux.

Trust me, i was planning on going to the demo day but right before I was gonna sign up I got military orders. That is why I am in San Antonio TX now or else I would be at the THP demo day. Hope everybody has a great time.

Plenty of nice courses in San Antonio...were you able to take your clubs?

Yes I did! I played today at gateway hills (lackland AFB)

So I wanted to spend a few minutes and reflect on the different sets that I have been working with and how these ended up in the bag. I look for certain things in an iron and those are:

Looks
Sound
Turf Interaction
Ball flight
Distance
Forgiveness High
Forgiveness Left & Right
Feel (to an extent, although secondary for me)
Performance

All these things together make up how I choose which iron set is best for my game. As most that know me know that I dont change irons very often (compared to opportunity to change) and when I find something I like, it stays for quite a while.

When I was comparing these to the CG16s I found that the biggest difference for me was the way they interacted with the surface and giving me that strike that I have always liked. The leading edge is different and with that gave me a more consistent result. Depending on the golfer, it could be the opposite. I found the forgiveness comparable and the distances to be similar overall.

When I was comparing them to the TaylorMade TP CBs, they both had that turf interaction that I like, but that is pretty much where the comparisons stopped. These were longer, more forgiving (both vertically & left & right) without sacrificing anything that I have found that I really liked.

In the end, there are a lot of good golf sets out there and the ones above are certainly on that list.

One shot that I still remember is an approach you had into the green, which you stuck. I think I said something about it being a great shot and you said you hit it like crap. Then you showed me ball mark almost completely out on the toe. Amazing how much forgiveness these offer. I would have never guessed it by looking at them.

Sounds like a great set of irons with all the above mentioned. Enjoy the new sticks and get em tuned up for WPB . Show them boys in the equipment testers shootout who is the boss :thumb:

Hi
Great thread and I'm also really interested in these irons. I like Srixon products and ive been using the Z-RW driver for ages now to good effect. I'd really like to know how you think these irons compare to the Mizuno JPX800 pro? (if you have any experience of them?)
Its hard to find Srixon in Canada but i hit the JPX the other day and they were pretty hot. I'd really like to compare but i dont think I'll get the opportunity.
Thx

Hi
Great thread and I'm also really interested in these irons. I like Srixon products and ive been using the Z-RW driver for ages now to good effect. I'd really like to know how you think these irons compare to the Mizuno JPX800 pro? (if you have any experience of them?)
Its hard to find Srixon in Canada but i hit the JPX the other day and they were pretty hot. I'd really like to compare but i dont think I'll get the opportunity.
Thx

Different irons really. I would relate these more to the JPX-800s overall. Although I prefer these over the Mizuno set in terms of sound and turf interaction overall.

Can I say, I will bag these at some point? There is gonna be a lot people wanting to take these out on demo day! lol.

Can I say, I will bag these at some point? There is gonna be a lot people wanting to take these out on demo day! lol.

I think there might be a few...hehe

Question is, will they get them out of my bag?

I will, when we play together on sunday :)

Lol. Maybe... Ill distract you with my workability of some forged musclebacks and have Ike swap some other clubs with headcovers so you wont know until the 1st tee... Did I write that out loud???

I remember really taking a look at CG7's because of the buzz here and I get that same feeling with the Z Stars. Hard to find is I guess part of the appeal for me. I'm guessing too you can have these adjusted to your specs even if you buy standard?

Lol. Maybe... Ill distract you with my workability of some forged musclebacks and have Ike swap some other clubs with headcovers so you wont know until the 1st tee... Did I write that out loud???

I remember really taking a look at CG7's because of the buzz here and I get that same feeling with the Z Stars. Hard to find is I guess part of the appeal for me. I'm guessing too you can have these adjusted to your specs even if you buy standard?

Yes, they can be bent. Im never a huge fan of bending if you can order them fitted to begin with though.

No doubt, I see it as a plus though just in case someone can't get fit. Although, I think if you get your numbers you could probably just custom order them. Haha, thinking out loud and typing solves most issues for me.

We just got IE8 at work and one my tabs can now be dedicated to the ZStar pictures.

The comments you have on forgiveness really kinda put me over the edge. Obviously we have different skills and whatnot but that's very appealing having hit the CG16's before.

Yes, they can be bent. Im never a huge fan of bending if you can order them fitted to begin with though.

No doubt, I see it as a plus though just in case someone can't get fit. Although, I think if you get your numbers you could probably just custom order them. Haha, thinking out loud and typing solves most issues for me.

We just got IE8 at work and one my tabs can now be dedicated to the ZStar pictures.

The comments you have on forgiveness really kinda put me over the edge. Obviously we have different skills and whatnot but that's very appealing having hit the CG16's before.

Plus and a minus. You will have to get them bent back after playing them for a while.

Just wondering, if you bend them to fit you why would you ever need to bend them back ?

Because softer metals can alter by regular play.

I think he is saying after a while they might change from what you bended them too and you would have to get that readjusted.

Just wondering, if you bend them to fit you why would you ever need to bend them back ?

I think he is saying after a while they might change from what you bended them too and you would have to get that readjusted.

I don't know whether having clubs bent to fit makes them more likely to bend from use or not than a club that hasn't been bent to fit. My guess would be that forged clubs are tuned to perfect lie and loft settings by some amount of bending at the factory however slight before they are sent out but maybe not. I bet someone knows the correct answer to that.

I don't know whether having clubs bent to fit makes them more likely to bend from use or not than a club that hasn't been bent to fit. My guess would be that forged clubs are tuned to perfect lie and loft settings by some amount of bending at the factory however slight before they are sent out but maybe not. I bet someone knows the correct answer to that.

Any iron that is made up of softer metals will be altered by use.

Whats the difference between getting them bent after you receive them and getting them bent at the factory before they get shipped to you?
Any iron that is made up of softer metals will be altered by use.

I know more than a few people who never trust a company and would just rather just get everything checked themselves.

Whats the difference between getting them bent after you receive them and getting them bent at the factory before they get shipped to you?

No fear of breakage or undo stress.

Because softer metals can alter by regular play.

I thought they were using the 1025 carbon steel in the "frame" and 1020 in the face, specifically to avoid this issue.?.?....

I thought they were using the 1025 carbon steel in the "frame" and 1020 in the face, specifically to avoid this issue.?.?....

1025 carbon steel can still be altered by repeated strikes to the ground.

Back