RyanG’s Road to a 5

Got the email yesterday confirming we are a go for the simulator league we’ve been setting up for work, so I’ll be able to get out of the garage and put some of this work into practice soon. Got a chance to demo a couple new sets of the Mizunos yesterday, and I was seeing much better spin numbers than I’m used to on monitor, which means something that I’m doing is working, and my ball flight is still that high, repeatable right to left shape which I’ve grown accustomed to seeing. I was pretty pleasantly surprised to see (and feel) like some of the work I’ve been doing with the Stack has transferred over, I felt like I was barely moving last night in the bay and my clubhead speed was a little quicker than normal. 5 days into year 3 I’m feeling pretty inspired.
View attachment 9234799
Whoa.... 8mph!!! I really need to start speed training again this off season. I can't do it and play as much as I do in season but man, those gainz are impressive sir.

Got the email yesterday confirming we are a go for the simulator league we’ve been setting up for work, so I’ll be able to get out of the garage and put some of this work into practice soon. Got a chance to demo a couple new sets of the Mizunos yesterday, and I was seeing much better spin numbers than I’m used to on monitor, which means something that I’m doing is working, and my ball flight is still that high, repeatable right to left shape which I’ve grown accustomed to seeing. I was pretty pleasantly surprised to see (and feel) like some of the work I’ve been doing with the Stack has transferred over, I felt like I was barely moving last night in the bay and my clubhead speed was a little quicker than normal. 5 days into year 3 I’m feeling pretty inspired.
View attachment 9234799
very nice gains! The hard work will pay off no doubt.

View attachment 9234799
Those are some awesome gains!

Couple of moves here in the past couple of days.
1. Had our first sim league round last night, felt like I played reasonably well despite having some short game and putting struggles on the sim. Not too concerned about those, I’m hitting the ball really well right now and that’s all I’m going to focus on, besides trying to have some fun with this.
2. Stack work seems to be paying off. Did a training session after I got home from the indoor facility last night, and hit some spicy speeds on some driver swings after the session. Hit this one pretty low on the face, but I’m going to play with some tee height and set-up.
IMG_9040.jpeg
3. Had an iron fitting today, and came out with a direction I wouldn’t necessarily have chosen for myself. One important takeaway I got from the fitting was seeing path numbers like 0.0 a few times, which inspires me to keep grinding as it appears some of that work is paying off. Unsure if I’m going to pull the trigger on the Blueprint S (although I really want to 😂), but they felt amazing, and the numbers didn’t lie.
4. I committed to my membership for 2024, and a change of scenery is official.

Felt like I’ve been plateauing a little bit on the Stack, but had some pretty quick swings last night during a session and got some claps from the app for hitting new PBs. It’s been cold out there, and kind of a character builder, but I’m happy to have made this commitment and be back lifting as I’m feeling a bit more like myself right now. 2/3 of the way through foundation, I’ll probably be able to get another program in before the season, and I’m excited to see what this does to my tee game.
IMG_9047.png
Been down a bit of a rabbit hole the last couple of days since my club fitting on Saturday and there's a few ponders going on. I got to try a few options that are very similar to what I'm currently playing, and it seems like we found an option that would be a really good fit for me and my game. For some reason, I’ve been waffling a bit on this decision - probably because the last sets of irons I was actually fit for were Pings, but they were G425’s, and my recent fitting put me in something…slightly more demanding. Not quite sure why I’ve got a bit of a block here, I just came off a season of playing something very similar 🤷.

Love the speed gains that you are seeing @ryang13 !

Love the speed gains that you are seeing @ryang13 !
Thank you sir! I'm having fun with the program so far - the putting portion less so, but that's a work in progress 👊.

Just caught up with this thread. Love seeing the progress you've made and will be following along as you conquer your goals this year.

A couple of days early of the 2-year mark of starting this thread, and it’s been quite a journey so far. I’ve done a lot of thinking over the past few weeks (a bunch of time on a rowing machine gives you some time to reflect 😂), and these are my goals for 2024. I appreciate all you that have checked in, given feedback and advice, and all the support.
View attachment 9232727
Excellent job on putting together a (hopefully) realistic and achievable goals list for 2024 (y). The metrics that you have are great but you might need a few more, especially for wedge play from 130 in and avoiding big numbers on Par 3s.

I might have missed it, but do you have some stats from last season to use to measure your progress?

I'm enjoying the thread, thanks for posting.

Just caught up with this thread. Love seeing the progress you've made and will be following along as you conquer your goals this year.
Appreciate you following along 👊.

Excellent job on putting together a (hopefully) realistic and achievable goals list for 2024 (y). The metrics that you have are great but you might need a few more, especially for wedge play from 130 in and avoiding big numbers on Par 3s.

I might have missed it, but do you have some stats from last season to use to measure your progress?

I'm enjoying the thread, thanks for posting.
Appreciate the support 👊 . I was using ShotScope for a bit, but ended up switching from the GPS to a laser on the suggestion of my swing coach. Golf Canada does provide some statistics with their scoring app:

2022:
GIR: 30%
Par 3 Scoring Avg: 3.9
Par 4 Scoring Avg: 5.1
Par 5 Scoring Avg: 6.0

2023:
GIR 35.4%
Par 3 Scoring Avg: 3.6
Par 4 Scoring Avg: 4.8
Par 5 Scoring Avg: 5.6

I'm interested to see how those metrics change with me switching home courses this year - my former home course had very small greens, and for a great deal of last year the greens were really baked out and it was difficult to get the ball to stop, leading to lots of chipping practice ;). Conditions at the new course are much different, and the green complexes are a little larger. As far as using those metrics to measure progress, I'll be using my GIR % to track 130 and in - it was an area I struggled with last season in terms of distance control, and by avoiding big numbers on par 3's (which at the new course will have some opportunities to do so - IE par 3's over water etc), I should see my scoring average maintain/improve.

Swing it looking good, keep up the great work

Appreciate the support 👊 . I was using ShotScope for a bit, but ended up switching from the GPS to a laser on the suggestion of my swing coach. Golf Canada does provide some statistics with their scoring app:

2022:
GIR: 30%
Par 3 Scoring Avg: 3.9
Par 4 Scoring Avg: 5.1
Par 5 Scoring Avg: 6.0

2023:
GIR 35.4%
Par 3 Scoring Avg: 3.6
Par 4 Scoring Avg: 4.8
Par 5 Scoring Avg: 5.6

I'm interested to see how those metrics change with me switching home courses this year - my former home course had very small greens, and for a great deal of last year the greens were really baked out and it was difficult to get the ball to stop, leading to lots of chipping practice ;). Conditions at the new course are much different, and the green complexes are a little larger. As far as using those metrics to measure progress, I'll be using my GIR % to track 130 and in - it was an area I struggled with last season in terms of distance control, and by avoiding big numbers on par 3's (which at the new course will have some opportunities to do so - IE par 3's over water etc), I should see my scoring average maintain/improve.
Significant improvement in all three areas👍Eventually you'll hit a plateau, but hopefully not in 2024!

Loving that follow through.
Starting to feel what the swing coach was saying a while back about “the follow through is a result of good mechanics everywhere else”. Appreciate it my man 👊

Got out for sim round #2 last night for our work league, and I'm holding firm in saying that I'm having much more fun this off-season. Was there in enough time to run through the Stack putting app and despite botching a few short putts, I made a few from that 10-15' range, and I felt a little more relaxed over the flatstick. Going to keep focusing on those 3-4' putts, I missed a few last night that lipped out which was disappointing, but putting hasn't been a strength of mine historically so I'll take the small improvements when I see them! The full swing felt really good last night, and it seems like the work with the driver/woods will pay off - I got off the tee box really well, and shot +3 which is a new PB for me. Also had a Stack speed workout scheduled for last night, and despite not having a full tank after playing I felt pretty quick. I believe this is a step in the right direction for my confidence on the tee box - this grinding is going to pay off this season.

Got out for sim round #2 last night for our work league, and I'm holding firm in saying that I'm having much more fun this off-season. Was there in enough time to run through the Stack putting app and despite botching a few short putts, I made a few from that 10-15' range, and I felt a little more relaxed over the flatstick. Going to keep focusing on those 3-4' putts, I missed a few last night that lipped out which was disappointing, but putting hasn't been a strength of mine historically so I'll take the small improvements when I see them! The full swing felt really good last night, and it seems like the work with the driver/woods will pay off - I got off the tee box really well, and shot +3 which is a new PB for me. Also had a Stack speed workout scheduled for last night, and despite not having a full tank after playing I felt pretty quick. I believe this is a step in the right direction for my confidence on the tee box - this grinding is going to pay off this season.
The grinding is the only way to get better and with your attitude, success will follow! I’m grinding things out this winter with putting practice, shoulder PT, and a change to my full swing that is beginning to show up in my ball striking at least some of the time on the course. :)

View attachment IMG_9117.mov
Like I mentioned in the speed training thread, just focusing lately on finishing my swing. Today I got to do it with one of the shiny new Blueprints 😍

Wrapped up the Foundations program with the Stack today, and did a few casual driver swings afterwards. Felt pretty slow and controlled, but the radar was showing around the 107/108 MPH range. Would be pretty stoked if my new real relaxed fairway finding swing is that quick, and if I can build some early confidence with the driver this season that would be awesome. Loving the early feedback on the Blueprints - looking back on where I was at on starting this thread I definitely didn’t think that my bag would look the way it does currently. Putting work has been showing some signs of improvement, I’ve got a lot of bad habits in that area but the work will pay off.

Stack foundations program complete, re-set the baseline tonight and I’m pretty happy with the speed gains so far. Back at it like a bad habit in a couple of days to start the next round.
IMG_9132.png
IMG_9141.png

View attachment 9234799
Heck yes! Love to see these gains! Keep it up man!

Wrapped up the Foundations program with the Stack today, and did a few casual driver swings afterwards. Felt pretty slow and controlled, but the radar was showing around the 107/108 MPH range. Would be pretty stoked if my new real relaxed fairway finding swing is that quick, and if I can build some early confidence with the driver this season that would be awesome. Loving the early feedback on the Blueprints - looking back on where I was at on starting this thread I definitely didn’t think that my bag would look the way it does currently. Putting work has been showing some signs of improvement, I’ve got a lot of bad habits in that area but the work will pay off.
It's fun to see the changes isn't it?

Back