RyanG’s Road to a 5

Gotcha. I'm not really chasing distance per say if that make sense. I just know if I hit it farther, it gives me shorter clubs into greens, which means dispersion will be better (for me that is).
Makes perfect sense. I am looking to switch up the gameplan a little bit and lean on driver a bit more next season, so maybe this is worth a further ponder.

View attachment IMG_8851.mov
Some chilly garage grinding last night with the King Tours, focused on tempo and adding in the G-Snap for that wrist set. Couple updates this week - some new clubs in the bag, I’m excited about the iron shootout, and some house chipping with the Zipcores has been a lot of fun. Pulled the trigger on The Stack (shoutout to my guy @ttucliffhanger) and I’m stoked to get that started and see if I can make some gains 💪🏻. I’ve been thinking about my goals for 2024, and will be posting those up as soon as I get some things finalized.

View attachment 9224056
Some chilly garage grinding last night with the King Tours, focused on tempo and adding in the G-Snap for that wrist set. Couple updates this week - some new clubs in the bag, I’m excited about the iron shootout, and some house chipping with the Zipcores has been a lot of fun. Pulled the trigger on The Stack (shoutout to my guy @ttucliffhanger) and I’m stoked to get that started and see if I can make some gains 💪🏻. I’ve been thinking about my goals for 2024, and will be posting those up as soon as I get some things finalized.
Nice. You are gonna love it!!!

Nice! Looking good, keep it up!!!

Couple updates to the WITB for 2024.
IMG_8877.jpeg
IMG_8878.jpeg
I’m very excited about the potential for this driver set-up with the new shaft. Really liking the feel of this Graphite Design, and I could see some gains off the tee box happening over the winter.
IMG_8887.jpeg
Saw some early positives out of the new wedges on Friday night, and I’ve been working hard on some new short game feels courtesy of Rob. Putting is still a work in progress, I feel like I’m finding a bit of a comfort zone with the L.A.B., and am hoping the winter work will pay off. The SMS Pros will battle it out with the King Tours over the winter, and I’ll be going for an iron fitting in January to see the new Mizuno offerings 😍. Feeling pretty confident with this club set-up if nothing else changes though!

As we head into December and finish off 2023, I’m taking the next month to work on some fitness goals (I’ll have some thoughts in a couple weeks on this), and finalizing my goals for 2024 and what I’m working towards. A potential change for me is coming….

Last edited:
Couple reps last night just working on tempo and a strong finish. Played last week on the sim with a buddy and noticed a few bad habits coming back in so I wanted to focus this week on keeping that same relaxed pace no matter the club.

View attachment IMG_8889.mov

Been a busy couple of weeks with work and getting ready for the holidays so I haven’t had much time for much more than working toward my two goals for December as I mentioned in a previous post. I got challenged to do a workout every day in December, and that tied in nicely with something I’d been training for, which was a marathon row. I’ve run quite a few of them training for ultras, but I’d never done one on the rower before. It was an interesting experience, I haven’t done a long grind like that for quite a while, but I’m happy to check the box and continue the December fitness challenge with day #17 tomorrow. Unfortunately the monitor on my rower timed out when I went to fill my water bottle, so I didn’t get one workout with the full 42,195 🤬.
IMG_8928.jpeg
IMG_8930.jpeg
IMG_8931.jpeg

View attachment IMG_8937.mov
Taking advantage of some mild temps to test out the new addition to the arsenal and work on slowing down the backswing a little bit. Putting work the last couple of weeks has been solid, it feels like my stroke has gotten better since continuing the Cody routine, and I’m working with a co-worker to get a work simulator league organized starting in January at the facility with the big indoor putting green, so I should be able to get over once a week and work with the Stack putting. 90% of the way there with my goals for next season, and 99% sure that a change in venue is happening for 2024.

IMG_8953.png
Had some time last night to do the Stack baseline, and not super surprised at a lot of these results. Got a few new feels last night from the workout that jive with what I’ve been working on in my swing, and I’ll be taking the Christmas break to work on those. Pretty excited about the prospect of some more speed and some potential distance gains off the tee!

View attachment 9232023
Had some time last night to do the Stack baseline, and not super surprised at a lot of these results. Got a few new feels last night from the workout that jive with what I’ve been working on in my swing, and I’ll be taking the Christmas break to work on those. Pretty excited about the prospect of some more speed and some potential distance gains off the tee!
Ohhh… I didn’t realize you were doing the stack system for speed training. I’ve been kicking around the idea of going back to speed training this winter. It not something I can do during golf season because I’ve found that speed training and playing just wreaks havoc on my body.

Ohhh… I didn’t realize you were doing the stack system for speed training. I’ve been kicking around the idea of going back to speed training this winter. It not something I can do during golf season because I’ve found that speed training and playing just wreaks havoc on my body.
Yessir! I’ve been following that thread with interest this season but had some hesitation about trying it as I didn’t want it to mess around with the path work I was doing. Got enough confidence in the work I’ve put in that it’s time to see if I can put some premium in the tank.

A couple of days early of the 2-year mark of starting this thread, and it’s been quite a journey so far. I’ve done a lot of thinking over the past few weeks (a bunch of time on a rowing machine gives you some time to reflect 😂), and these are my goals for 2024. I appreciate all you that have checked in, given feedback and advice, and all the support.
IMG_8976.jpeg

A couple of days early of the 2-year mark of starting this thread, and it’s been quite a journey so far. I’ve done a lot of thinking over the past few weeks (a bunch of time on a rowing machine gives you some time to reflect 😂), and these are my goals for 2024. I appreciate all you that have checked in, given feedback and advice, and all the support.
View attachment 9232727
I like the way you have these goals set out as measurables. I’m going to copy some of this as I set mine for this upcoming year and push.

I like the way you have these goals set out as measurables. I’m going to copy some of this as I set mine for this upcoming year and push.
Copy away my man. You got this 👊.

IMG_8990.png
Making some small gains on the Stack. This training is a lot of fun, and a couple feels seem to be transferring over to my swing. I’m really liking the new driver set-up in the bag so far, and I dig where this could be headed.

Couple updates to the WITB for 2024.
View attachment 9226110
View attachment 9226111
I’m very excited about the potential for this driver set-up with the new shaft. Really liking the feel of this Graphite Design, and I could see some gains off the tee box happening over the winter.
View attachment 9226236
Saw some early positives out of the new wedges on Friday night, and I’ve been working hard on some new short game feels courtesy of Rob. Putting is still a work in progress, I feel like I’m finding a bit of a comfort zone with the L.A.B., and am hoping the winter work will pay off. The SMS Pros will battle it out with the King Tours over the winter, and I’ll be going for an iron fitting in January to see the new Mizuno offerings 😍. Feeling pretty confident with this club set-up if nothing else changes though!

As we head into December and finish off 2023, I’m taking the next month to work on some fitness goals (I’ll have some thoughts in a couple weeks on this), and finalizing my goals for 2024 and what I’m working towards. A potential change for me is coming….
That is a nice WITB for sure!
Been a busy couple of weeks with work and getting ready for the holidays so I haven’t had much time for much more than working toward my two goals for December as I mentioned in a previous post. I got challenged to do a workout every day in December, and that tied in nicely with something I’d been training for, which was a marathon row. I’ve run quite a few of them training for ultras, but I’d never done one on the rower before. It was an interesting experience, I haven’t done a long grind like that for quite a while, but I’m happy to check the box and continue the December fitness challenge with day #17 tomorrow. Unfortunately the monitor on my rower timed out when I went to fill my water bottle, so I didn’t get one workout with the full 42,195 🤬.
View attachment 9230749
View attachment 9230750
View attachment 9230751T is
My god man that is a beast session on a rower nice job!

View attachment 9233246
Making some small gains on the Stack. This training is a lot of fun, and a couple feels seem to be transferring over to my swing. I’m really liking the new driver set-up in the bag so far, and I dig where this could be headed.

The Stack is awesome. I just started my 2nd session. It has made a difference for sure. I do set up my Tour Aim to keep my outside takeaway and prevent getting that bad habit back! You re going to crush it!

Love following along and is motivating for myself as well.

That is a nice WITB for sure!

My god man that is a beast session on a rower nice job!
Thank you sir! I had some fun with training for that one, it was a different animal than any other endurance thing I’ve ever done. Now that I’m back in the gym I’ve noticed my pull movements feel super strong, and push movements…not so much. Go figure 😂.
The Stack is awesome. I just started my 2nd session. It has made a difference for sure. I do set up my Tour Aim to keep my outside takeaway and prevent getting that bad habit back! You re going to crush it!
I’ll be following along with interest to see what kind of yardage you pick up, and that’s a good thought about using an alignment aid with it to try to keep some bad technique from creeping in. I’ve found so far the more I focus on that wrist hinge at the top, and bringing the club down on the inside, the faster I can swing. Driver has been the most difficult club for me (besides fairways) to convince myself to swing from the inside, and this feels like it’s going to help with that.

View attachment 9232727
Love the goals my guy. I’ve had similar goals the past 2 years and as of last week I didn’t know if I wanted to have goals other than fun with others in 24. You are making me want to set some of my own again this year.

Couple of questions regarding yours:
  • What does improving wedges inside 130 mean to you in a measurable sense? Will being inside 20, 10, 5 foot X percentage of time be the measure? How will you define success at the end of 2024?
  • You’ve already met the speed goal!! Awesome. What’s the new driver goal? X % of fairways hit seems like a good one now that you’ve got the speed dial in the dispersion.
  • I must of missed it but what is the OP 36 for Bear?
  • Love the engage and post reviews on THP that’s something Inhad in my goals last year and I ended up getting a lot out of it and feel closer to the community and more knowledgeable.
I’ve LOVED following your thread. Seeing your progress over the past 2 years has been a real treat! Proud of you brother. 👊🏼

Love the goals my guy. I’ve had similar goals the past 2 years and as of last week I didn’t know if I wanted to have goals other than fun with others in 24. You are making me want to set some of my own again this year.

Couple of questions regarding yours:
  • What does improving wedges inside 130 mean to you in a measurable sense? Will being inside 20, 10, 5 foot X percentage of time be the measure? How will you define success at the end of 2024?
  • You’ve already met the speed goal!! Awesome. What’s the new driver goal? X % of fairways hit seems like a good one now that you’ve got the speed dial in the dispersion.
  • I must of missed it but what is the OP 36 for Bear?
  • Love the engage and post reviews on THP that’s something Inhad in my goals last year and I ended up getting a lot out of it and feel closer to the community and more knowledgeable.
I’ve LOVED following your thread. Seeing your progress over the past 2 years has been a real treat! Proud of you brother. 👊🏼
To be fair, you’ve had a couple of pretty awesome seasons on your own path, and maybe taking some time to focus on nothing but having fun might take some pressure off and be just what you need on the road to where you want to be.
- improving wedges my easiest metric is going to be GIR. With the move to the new club the greens are a little more generously-sized (my previous home base had tiny greens), and this seems like the easiest way to gauge any improvement on distance control.
- I think the driver is going to be equal parts tangible (measuring P-Avg distance, fairways hit, etc) and intangible (just having the confidence to pull it out of the bag instead of hitting the easy button and putting one out in play with 7W etc). The more I listen to Chasing Scratch, Hack it Out, any other resource regarding stats, the answer of the differentiator between handicaps seems to be the driver, and the putter. Putter is a work in progress, but that tee game I WANT.
- Operation 36 is the junior program I got my little guy in last year. They start new players out at 25 yards with the goal of shooting even par for 9 holes, and you advance back 25 yards at a time, and kind of learn the game from the green back. It’s been fun doing putting with him at home and seeing little bits of success and confidence build with him.

Appreciate you following along and all the support my man. You’ve been inspiring to follow along with, and hope we get the chance to tee it up someday 👊.

- Operation 36 is the junior program I got my little guy in last year. They start new players out at 25 yards with the goal of shooting even par for 9 holes, and you advance back 25 yards at a time, and kind of learn the game from the green back. It’s been fun doing putting with him at home and seeing little bits of success and confidence build with him.
I love this so much. This is almost exactly how my grandfather taught me how to play the game when I was around 5 to 6 years old. God, I wish I would’ve never quit. Would’ve made my road to a comeback unnecessary. 🤣🤣

IMG_8991.jpeg
Really liking The Stack so far. That was a tough workout with the maximum effort swings (a little different trying to really deepen the turn and just go for it), but a nice way to finish up 2023, and check the box of working out all 31 days in December ✅. The challenge has been issued already to continue this into January, and work out every day for the next month as well, so the grind continues 👊. Let’s get it.

Got the email yesterday confirming we are a go for the simulator league we’ve been setting up for work, so I’ll be able to get out of the garage and put some of this work into practice soon. Got a chance to demo a couple new sets of the Mizunos yesterday, and I was seeing much better spin numbers than I’m used to on monitor, which means something that I’m doing is working, and my ball flight is still that high, repeatable right to left shape which I’ve grown accustomed to seeing. I was pretty pleasantly surprised to see (and feel) like some of the work I’ve been doing with the Stack has transferred over, I felt like I was barely moving last night in the bay and my clubhead speed was a little quicker than normal. 5 days into year 3 I’m feeling pretty inspired.
IMG_9008.jpeg

Back