A vest, interesting, I like this idea.
I got it off Amazon, it’s very adjustable and comfortable. Check out GoRuck they have some great products (expensive), eventually I want to upgrade to one of their rucks.

Here’s what I am currently using…

Attachments

• IMG_1709.jpeg
    IMG_1709.jpeg
    74.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1707.jpeg
    IMG_1707.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 5
Oh good call, I'm not a cardio person, so even a regular walk makes my shins hurt. 😂 Thanks!
I hate cardio is well. But enjoy walking. This just makes walking harder, lol. It’s a great workout.

I enjoy day hiking, but am a minimalist when it comes to what I carry.

Used to do something similar, basically just my hunting pack with a bag of mulch or my daughter standing in it to stay in shape.

Treking poles are a must!

There is a guy in our neighborhood who I see doing this (never heard of the term before) everyday. He's been doing it for the last few years. Seems like a good workout.

I got it off Amazon, it’s very adjustable and comfortable. Check out GoRuck they have some great products (expensive), eventually I want to upgrade to one of their rucks.

Here’s what I am currently using…

Ryan do you have a link? I am very intrigued but not ready to make the plunge to GoRuck due to pricing

Take it from a 10 year infantry man, rucking will destroy your back and hips.
My cross fit buddy says the same thing. He and his Air Force son were doing 4-6 miles after the weather broke this past winter and he had all kinds of sciatic pain. He's 58 and in phenomenal shape (35 minute Murphy Challenge) and said it is the only thing that messes him up. I think he was doing 40-50lb pack.

I have but it has been a long time since I put the back pack / plate on. Before the plate it was 6 bricks (no holes in them) wrapped in duct tape. The plate is a little bettter for weight distribution though.

I even did a Goruck Tough Event in Philadelphia a wee bit ago.

you city folks.

get out and weed the garden............in 100+ heat.
mow the lawn..........in that heat.
clean up brush.....first trim your trees to make the brush.......in the heat.
probably tomorrow I'll have a heart attack.

Oh, and do your golf practice in 110°+

edit: just yanking some chains...I can see where that'd be entertaining and beneficial.

Last edited:
On the one hand, rucking, especially when you aren't in control of the weight & pace, or done with a poorly organized rucksack, is a fast way to cause some long term back & hip problems. I think even for much of the military, it wasn't a daily or even weekly event. In a chicken & egg thing, everyone hates doing it, so they only do it once a quarter to meet some organizational standard, so it's something like 12 miles with 40 pounds, completed in 3 hours. So then everyone feels like garbage for a couple days after, at least a couple people out of 100 get hurt trying to do it, so no one does it until they next time they have to.

When I was rucking a few times a week I got into fantastic shape. I still prefer to carry my golf bag, and a lot of that is comfort from being ok with miles humping a ruck. Stay within oneself, take good care of your footwear (socks and boots), and be cool with stopping or slowing down if you encounter joint aches or pain, especially in the knees, hips, feet, or spine. Some shoulder and lower back achiness is expected, but numbness in the fingers or twinges in the neck & shoulders are indicators your ruck is too heavy for your yoke to handle.

Also, and I cannot emphasize this enough: if you take a long break (4+ weeks) and you're getting back into it, get a pedicure before you start back up. Getting any & all calloused skin off your feet and starting over is much safer than getting a blister under a callous. At least 1 person per Ranger School or Special Forces Assessment & Selection cycle goes home because a blister under a callous busts open.

3.47 mile ruck this evening with the weighted vest. It's been a few weeks since I've done it, but felt great afterwards. Such a good workout.

This is how all my friends who back country camp or do rugged hunts prepare.

I rucked a bunch in the Marines. I have a 25 pound weighted vest that I use semi-often. Usually try that when it is a little cooler out. Great exercise as I have aged out of running.

Why don’t you just play golf? Walk and carry your clubs.

4.1 mi ruck this evening. Getting some hot spots on my feet, that really hurt. Did some googling and a lot of people recommend hiking boots for rucking. Just not sure if i'm that guy or not. But, damn, my feet are throbbing right now.

I only did something like this when I was preparing for a multi day backpacking trip. I did get some looks hiking up some rugged off the normal path mountains with a heavy load on my back.

Man…now I wish it was winter so I could go on some adventures.

This seems like a great exercise. Gonna have to give it a try.
It’s a great workout, wear some good shoes as blisters can be a thing.

It's been a few weeks since I went for my Sunday morning ruck. Got up this morning and it felt amazing out so I did a 6 mile ruck. Up the weight in my vest to 65lbs. I was completely toast at the end of it.

Back