GolferGal

Chick Norris
Boss Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
Anyone every done it or currently doing it? There is a group that gets together in my community and go for 2-3+ mile ruck walks and I've thought about going to one. I would love if a friend would go with me (@Mmaynard11 ), but I might still just go myself if I can't get someone to go. Seems like a great way to meet people, and could be a fun change of pace workout that gets me outside. They will even supply the backpacks, so I don't have to make an investment in one until I know I actually like it.

Curious for those who have done it if you liked it.

Never heard of it...what is it?

I never have but it seems like it would be fun in a group.

It's basically weighted walking, you walk with a rucksack on, which is a weighted backpack.
So its to make walking less enjoyable? :ROFLMAO:

My friend, who helped me coach wrestling, is big into it. He goes “rucking” almost everyday.

In crossfit we did sandbag walks over the shoulders (same basic concept). We didn't do it to meet people, more because a lot of our people did obstacle course races in addition so it made sense to have some extra weight at times to vary the exercises.

I think it would be great, I already love backpacking / hiking / camping so I would be all for it. I've been doing it by a different name since I had kids since I put one in the Kelty backpack and take a 1-3 mile hike with my wife a couple times a month around local trails.

• Admin
So its to make walking less enjoyable? :ROFLMAO:

Haha, it's adding a small strength element to walking.

My friend, who helped me coach wrestling, is big into it. He goes “rucking” almost everyday.

So I am guessing that means he likes it? I've never done it, but I'm really intrigued.

My barber has done this before.

Take it from a 10 year infantry man, rucking will destroy your back and hips.
For a postive, your legs will be tree trunks, and its a great way to get/stay in shape, but it will take a toll.
The biggest hinderence to my golf game is, and has been the damage I did to my body with a rucksack on my back, no doubt about it. Do low impact like swimming if you can.
If you are going to do it any way, make sure you stretch well and go light. Try not to let the weight bounce too much.

It's basically weighted walking, you walk with a rucksack on, which is a weighted backpack.

I have heard you burn a lot of extra calories by doing that and improve your strength. I have thought about throwing 20 pounds in a small back pack I have and wearing it when out walking but haven't done it.

Does walking the course and carrying your golf bag count?

So I am guessing that means he likes it? I've never done it, but I'm really intrigued.

Yes ma’am. Start with a small amount of weight and get a decent vest that fits securely. That weight moving around while walking/running can hurt or injure you.

I have heard you burn a lot of extra calories by doing that and improve your strength. I have thought about throwing 20 pounds in a small back pack I have and wearing it when out walking but haven't done it.

Does walking the course and carrying your golf bag count?

I bet it does actually. I like the idea of doing something different, but still staying active, plus an opportunity to meet new people in the community. If only I could get someone I know to go with me....cough (@Mmaynard11) cough.

Yes ma’am. Start with a small amount of weight and get a decent vest that fits securely. That weight moving around while walking/running can hurt or injure you.

That is great advice, the last thing I need with this old body is another back injury. Thanks!

I bet it does actually. I like the idea of doing something different, but still staying active, plus an opportunity to meet new people in the community. If only I could get someone I know to go with me....cough (@Mmaynard11) cough.
Haha I’ve done a fair share of rucking when I was in the military…although I do have a ruck sack you can borrow.

Honestly the wife and I may have talked about it before.

Haha I’ve done a fair share of rucking when I was in the military…although I do have a ruck sack you can borrow.

Honestly the wife and I may have talked about it before.

I mentioned it to her many times, but never got a response, so I took the hint haha.

I used see a guy in my neighborhood with a weighted vest on.
Looked like the weights were interchangeable.

I started rucking in January, and have worked my way up to a 45 lb vest. It’s a great way to start or end your day.

My typical ruck is a 2.25 mile route from my house, where I can easily add on another .75 for 3 miles. My longest ruck so far came last Sunday as I went 5.1 miles with the 45 lb vest on.

It’s a phenomenal workout, but do get a few random stares from people in the neighborhood.

I used see a guy in my neighborhood with a weighted vest on.
Looked like the weights were interchangeable.
The vest I have has slots for weighted plates. I currently have to plates in the front and two in the back. Keeping it distributed evenly is very important.

Haha, it's adding a small strength element to walking.

Highly suggest a really really good pair of shoes for walking, and beware of shin splints after the first few rucks. Your bringing a lot more force down on your steps when adding weight when you walk.

I started rucking in January, and have worked my way up to a 45 lb vest. It’s a great way to start or end your day.

My typical ruck is a 2.25 mile route from my house, where I can easily add on another .75 for 3 miles. My longest ruck so far came last Sunday as I went 5.1 miles with the 45 lb vest on.

It’s a phenomenal workout, but do get a few random stares from people in the neighborhood.

A vest, interesting, I like this idea.

very militaristic. I actually just did one on memorial day. We carried dog tags from a starting point to a veterans cemetery. It was about a 4 mile walk.

Highly suggest a really really good pair of shoes for walking, and beware of shin splints after the first few rucks. Your bringing a lot more force down on your steps when adding weight when you walk.

Oh good call, I'm not a cardio person, so even a regular walk makes my shins hurt. 😂 Thanks!

Back