I prefer the Legislature over the Senator. The greens are like putting on ice, and if you miss the fairway, good luck. The Legislature allows for more error and fits my game better. I never played the Judge. Overall, it’s a beautiful course. I worked at the hotel on the property during college. Grand National in Opelika is a nice facility too, but the day I played the course was loaded and we got paired with a couple of guys that didn’t speak English. It made for an interesting afternoon. My favorite course on the trail is Lakewood near Fairhope. A great place to take your family and slip away for a couple of rounds of golf.

What time of year is recommended as the best time to play these courses?

They're owned by the Retirement Systems of Alabama. In short, a diversification of the pension fund.

While the brainchild of it is a University of Alabama person and therefore I should hate him, I must admit I admire him. How you go to the governing body of a retirement pension fund and convince them that building a dozen golf courses around the state is a great use of retirement assets, I have no idea. Dude has brass ones.

Whether it has turned out to be a net positive or negative for the retirement fund, I do not know but it certainly has benefited golfers.
I guess a bit of googling would have shown me that. Ah well, I didn't. I admit, it was sheer laziness. I knew it was something by the state though. Yeah, a gutsy move to sink pension funds into golf courses. I'd venture a guess that they were doing pretty well business wise until covid hit... then revenue dropped with the initial lock downs, and then picked back up as restrictions were eased. Hopefully they'll do well.

I don't have a "bucket list" per se. I think that idea is limiting. If you want to do something, do it. If I did have a bucket list the RTJ trail would be on it.

What time of year is recommended as the best time to play these courses?
I've played them in the spring, summer, and fall. I'd recommend the spring or fall. Summer gets viscously hot in Alabama and you'll feel it. Every time I went to an RTJ site was for multiple rounds per day. The summer lets you get the most golf in, but it'll suck.

A couple of the sites in the southern part of the state should be good to play during winter.

They're owned by the Retirement Systems of Alabama. In short, a diversification of the pension fund.

While the brainchild of it is a University of Alabama person and therefore I should hate him, I must admit I admire him. How you go to the governing body of a retirement pension fund and convince them that building a dozen golf courses around the state is a great use of retirement assets, I have no idea. Dude has brass ones.

Whether it has turned out to be a net positive or negative for the retirement fund, I do not know but it certainly has benefited golfers.

Waaaayyyyy positive.

I've played them in the spring, summer, and fall. I'd recommend the spring or fall. Summer gets viscously hot in Alabama and you'll feel it. Every time I went to an RTJ site was for multiple rounds per day. The summer lets you get the most golf in, but it'll suck.

A couple of the sites in the southern part of the state should be good to play during winter.

Agreed.

April through May and October-mid November would be the prime times.

Grand National in Opelika, Alabama is an awesome place 2 18 hole courses and an 18 hole Par 3 course....I would love to take an RV and just go from course to course right down the trail
10 minutes from my AL home. Love the par 3 course. It is a true short course with multiple tees that can challenge any handicap level.

10 minutes from my AL home. Love the par 3 course. It is a true short course with multiple tees that can challenge any handicap level.
Has to be the best par 3 course i have ever played. AS you say multiple tees for a lot of options and the greens are not small. Such a great way to work on your game

The LPGA had a tournament at Magnolia Grove in Mobile, AL. for many years. Thats my home course. It also has an awesome par 3 course that can be challenging. Ross Bridge in B'ham is having to redo every green as they had to fire the greens keeper who got the chems mixed up and burned up every dang one of them. I believe its actually closed at the moment. The coarse in Greenville, Cambrian Ridge, gets very little traffic compared to others so its a favorite to many but they all stay in very good shape. We are very fortunate to have them.

my in-laws are about the same distance from the course. they live off oak bowery.

For those that are fortunate enough to live close to a RTJ course they offer a range membership but don't advertise it. $575 per year gets you unlimited range balls and unlimited use of the par 3 courses. You also get 15% discount on all merchandise. Pretty sweet deal.

RTJ Trail might be one of my top destinations. Going to try and make it happen next spring!!

A saving grace of having to attend a wedding on Masters weekend is that I get to play Oxmoor Valley-Ridge Friday and Ross Bridge Saturday morning. I've played the Ridge before and am trying to get that switched to the Valley course. I want to play the Biarritz hole. I'm anxious to see if Ross Bridge did any work to the greens other than replacing what was destroyed.

A saving grace of having to attend a wedding on Masters weekend is that I get to play Oxmoor Valley-Ridge Friday and Ross Bridge Saturday morning. I've played the Ridge before and am trying to get that switched to the Valley course. I want to play the Biarritz hole. I'm anxious to see if Ross Bridge did any work to the greens other than replacing what was destroyed.
Some of the few on RTJ I have never had the chance to play.

I liked the Ridge course. I was a much poorer player back then but it was challenging without being spiteful.

Summer gets viscously hot in Alabama and you'll feel it. Every time I went to an RTJ site was for multiple rounds per day. The summer lets you get the most golf in, but it'll suck.
Brutal!!

Quite some time ago I had to visit Montgomery several years in a row, early August, for a work conference. We would sneak up to Prattville to get a few rounds in at Capitol Hill (Judge was my favorite) while we were there.

Would come home with these sweat encrusted golf shirts that would literally stand up in a corner and my wife would just shake her head.

Back