Not a fan of today's rap, prefer yesterday's hip-hop. The Roots, Pharcyde, NWA, dre, snoop, LONS, gran pubba, gangstar, mos def, beastie boys, Eric b and rakim, talib q, tribe called quest, wu tang, method man, redman, 3rd bass, BDP, Jurassic 5, ect....

Personally one group that always stands out even today is De La Soul, talent to the bone and been relevant to hip-hop for a long time.

"I'm a rhyme artist
out here tryin' to grind my hardest
up early so to milk the cow
keep my john deere out here plowin' the fields
to keep my john hancock's worth up in the now
went from hangin' on blocks to hangin' on charts
positions is parta my mission to hangin' on top"

Yesterday in my music history class (elective), found out that Ice Cube wrote all of Easy-E's lyrics in NWA. Didn't really expect that as there are some who argue that Easy-E is one of the greats, yet Ice Cube gets very little notice as a great.

I really hate rap music, just my opinion

OK, I can understand that opinion, but this is a thread about rap/hip hop artists that people enjoy...it isn't a thread about whether one likes the genre or not.

Not sure how many of you have heard of Kayo, but he is on Classified's record label.

Not a fan of today's rap, prefer yesterday's hip-hop. The Roots, Pharcyde, NWA, dre, snoop, LONS, gran pubba, gangstar, mos def, beastie boys, Eric b and rakim, talib q, tribe called quest, wu tang, method man, redman, 3rd bass, BDP, Jurassic 5, ect....

Personally one group that always stands out even today is De La Soul, talent to the bone and been relevant to hip-hop for a long time.

"I'm a rhyme artist
out here tryin' to grind my hardest
up early so to milk the cow
keep my john deere out here plowin' the fields
to keep my john hancock's worth up in the now
went from hangin' on blocks to hangin' on charts
positions is parta my mission to hangin' on top"

i love the old school stuff but i enjoy the new stuff now too. i not a huge fan of all the lyrics but i appreciate the word play from little wayne, drake, and others. i love thebeats though.

I've recently gotten hooked on Ryan Leslie. While he has shifted from hip-hop/R&B to rapping, his real talent shows in the music he produces. watch some of his in-studio production videos on youtube. Makes me wish I had picked up music when i was younger

I like all of Brick squad the most!!!!!

Especially Gucci and Flocka

I also like a lot of ludacris and wu tang and a lot of the south like Dj Screw and three 6 and juicy J

Wow....not one LL Cool J?! Yep, the guy is old school but has continued to bring it even today. His last album was pretty darn good. He can still rap with the best of 'em.

Hologram 2Pac at Coachella 2012 singing with Snoop this weekend.......thoughts?

I really dug 2Pac when he was around, so that was incredibly cool that they could do that!

I saw that earlier Nate, I think that is awesome and could you imagine the surprise of the audience? He looks real! I loved that era of rap, probably what I still listen to most. Pac, Biggie, Snoop was just coming up, Dre of course...Ice Cube as well. There are tons of great tracks from the early 90's that I just love.

That was awesome.

When I saw it this morning I thought it was pretty awesome. Would have loved to see it live.

I also thought it was great....a little freaky, but great. Loved that Snoop went out there for that act.

I saw that earlier Nate, I think that is awesome and could you imagine the surprise of the audience? He looks real! I loved that era of rap, probably what I still listen to most. Pac, Biggie, Snoop was just coming up, Dre of course...Ice Cube as well. There are tons of great tracks from the early 90's that I just love.

Really don't think he gets enough credit. A lot of people only seem to remember his sorry acting career.

Really don't think he gets enough credit. A lot of people only seem to remember his sorry acting career.

I was just talking to someone about Ice Cube this weekend. He made NWA, go back and listen to some NWA and it's all Ice Cube influenced. Dre on the beats and Ice Cube on the lyrics. It's just unfortunate that his acting career has gone the way it has. Nobody can take away Friday from him though...

I mean when he was with NWA, he wrote Easy-E's lyrics. Yet some people argue that Easy-E was better....ummm what?

Now I can't stop listening to Ice Cube and NWA haha.

I listen to everything. So yes, rap is included. Lil' Wayne, Common, Lupe, 2Pac, older Kanye. I also get great joy from turning off the radio every time I hear "Rack City" or "Boyfriend" by J.B. what the hell is this kid saying anyway?... "Swaggy"?!?!?! Is he confused as to who or what he is as a, and I use the term loosely, musical artist?

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Not the biggest fan but I went along with a friend of mine to a concert the other night

IMAG0136.jpg

Crazy thing about rap music...you have to be 17 to go to the store and buy their CD if it has a parental advisory, but apparently you only have to be 10 to go to their concert. I felt way over-age to be at that concert, and it was very uncomfortable sitting there with thousands of 10-12 year old girls wearing the smallest dress they could fit in to.

Back