Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

Fantastic write up Jman, or should I call you "TheMan". Lol. I really enjoyed how you talked about each shot and then went into overall thoughts. Also, I really like that Ping allowed you to get 4-LW as I could see the UW, SW and LW being of interest for some people. I really enjoyed reading your thoughts about those three clubs. Keep up the good work buddy.

Thanks all!

JConn, thats why I asked for the UW, SW, LW. I know some guys like their set to match all the way through and I really thought one of us (testers) should give them a workout. Its early, but they are surprising me so far.

Great write-up Jman. I'm glad your liking those i20's. Keep up the good reviews.

Nice work Jman. Very informative. I'm most curious about the forgiveness of this iron. I'm around a 12-13 hc and striving for single digits this year... workin my butt off. But I have no illusions about my equipment and that GI clubs are most likely best suited for my game right now. Wondering if I could pull off the i20s...

Jman can you feel the hea through out the swing? Do you feel the impact of club to ball on your pure hits? When standing over the club during the course of play, what stands out to you most?

Jman can you feel the hea through out the swing? Do you feel the impact of club to ball on your pure hits? When standing over the club during the course of play, what stands out to you most?

I do feel the head Freddie. The biggest credit to that for me though I think is that I had them increase the swing weight from D0 to D2 in 4-9 and D2 to D4 in PW/UW/SW. I'm really curious to see what the other guys think if they didn't change the swing weight. PING's have always been that way for me (light in the feel of the head) so I knew the added weight would be a must for what I like personally.

I did feel the impact, I actually got more feedback than I thought I would though solid shots and off-center shots as well considering the talk of how forgiving they are and all the stabilizer tech and such in the cavity. Not as much feedback as my J40's mind you (I refuse to use the words "more harsh" there because the DPC's are NOT harsh IMO) but still solid feedback that I can tell about my swing and the impact before tracking it really.

The absolute biggest stand out to me at address so far is the offset progression and the general lines of the club. No where near as boxy as I'd anticipated or as some of the previous iterations IMO. As for the offset, I like less, and PING nailed it to me with the progression form my LW down to my 4i, it increases and the blade size/shape changes but they all still flow super well. PING took a solid design thought with that and nailed it when going from paper to reality IMO.

Hope that answers it Freddie! I tend to ramble LOL

You should see my note-pad from yesterday...my buddy was cracking up.

Last edited:
Super pumped the guys will be getting their clubs in soon and can't wait to see them get after it. That actually leads me to something I want to throw out there so everyone knows and there is no questions or worries.

I'll actually be heading out of town on a getaway with the wife to celebrate her OB/GYN residency match so clubs won't be going. I made sure already to let JB know and I'll still be tapatalking the thread and following the guys but there just won't be another round until next Sunday. I just want to be transparent here as this is a BIG testing and I don't want anyone to question my dedication to it!

Congrats to your wife Jman , gotta keep the lil lady happy or the golf game goes to hell! Look forward to your return.

Jman glad you like them and im glad your doing your little piece on the gw/sw/lw as im one of those people who like my wedges to look the same,

Awesome stuff Jman! Hawt little 4 - iron huh? I love 4 irons :bulgy-eyes: so your writeup has me more than interested :thumb:

Again, solid Jman. I am especially interested in your comments on fat shots - I know its only one round but did you feel like you hit more fat shots than usual? I ask because I've noticed a couple fats shots a round with mine which is pretty unusual - I had brushed it off as getting used to new clubs, especially since I got them over length for the first time, but now I'm wondering. Either way, would you agree the early concerns people had on the "high" bounce specs for these are unfounded?

+ 1 here on interest in your SW/LW experience, especially out of sand. I was thinking Tour S or Answer wedges but continue to hear good things about these.

thanks

Jman glad you like them and im glad your doing your little piece on the gw/sw/lw as im one of those people who like my wedges to look the same,

These have me impressed, I know I got custom grinds on them, but I was pleased by the spin I got and the versatility. It'll be fun to see as I go and get used to them more and more.
Awesome stuff Jman! Hawt little 4 - iron huh? I love 4 irons :bulgy-eyes: so your writeup has me more than interested :thumb:

For sure OG! The most exciting thing of all of it for me so far, could be a deadly club for me if it wasn't just a lucky go-round!

I'm with you Ole Gray - haven't had a 4i in the bag for a long time and ordered the 23* i20 hybrid with my set but I also am hitting my 5i so well I might end up with both 4i iron and hyrbid. I play hybrids simply because I hit them higher, but my irons are more often straight so a straight, high (enough) 4i would be golden

Again, solid Jman. I am especially interested in your comments on fat shots - I know its only one round but did you feel like you hit more fat shots than usual? I ask because I've noticed a couple fats shots a round with mine which is pretty unusual - I had brushed it off as getting used to new clubs, especially since I got them over length for the first time, but now I'm wondering. Either way, would you agree the early concerns people had on the "high" bounce specs for these are unfounded?

+ 1 here on interest in your SW/LW experience, especially out of sand. I was thinking Tour S or Answer wedges but continue to hear good things about these.

thanks

Honestly, I've always struggled with the fatties when I make a switch in irons so since its so early I'm not reading into it at all really. I will say at the nd I moved the ball back about 1/2 inch and ta-da! Much better.

On the bounce, I think people see numbers and over-react. PING has always had more bounce in the G and I series than alot of clubs out there but I really think its the jest with the entire design coming together and working well. Like I said, its early obviously, but the bounce does not scare me. Once I get acclimated to them, it may or may not be then, we shall see!

I do feel the head Freddie. The biggest credit to that for me though I think is that I had them increase the swing weight from D0 to D2 in 4-9 and D2 to D4 in PW/UW/SW. I'm really curious to see what the other guys think if they didn't change the swing weight. PING's have always been that way for me (light in the feel of the head) so I knew the added weight would be a must for what I like personally.

I did feel the impact, I actually got more feedback than I thought I would though solid shots and off-center shots as well considering the talk of how forgiving they are and all the stabilizer tech and such in the cavity. Not as much feedback as my J40's mind you (I refuse to use the words "more harsh" there because the DPC's are NOT harsh IMO) but still solid feedback that I can tell about my swing and the impact before tracking it really.

The absolute biggest stand out to me at address so far is the offset progression and the general lines of the club. No where near as boxy as I'd anticipated or as some of the previous iterations IMO. As for the offset, I like less, and PING nailed it to me with the progression form my LW down to my 4i, it increases and the blade size/shape changes but they all still flow super well. PING took a solid design thought with that and nailed it when going from paper to reality IMO.

Hope that answers it Freddie! I tend to ramble LOL

You should see my note-pad from yesterday...my buddy was cracking up.

You impress me as a man very untuned with his golf game, I like that. A numbers guy that isn't very technical.
Glad to hear the offset isn't that severe and that you are getting feedback on flush as well as off center strikes. Keep it bro, your post have been very nice to read. Thanks for taking the time to answer everyone's questions. Good stuff!!!

I'm with you Ole Gray - haven't had a 4i in the bag for a long time and ordered the 23* i20 hybrid with my set but I also am hitting my 5i so well I might end up with both 4i iron and hyrbid. I play hybrids simply because I hit them higher, but my irons are more often straight so a straight, high (enough) 4i would be golden

What loft does the I20 4 iron come in? It really does sound like a sweet little weapon to me.

It's 24* so I actually could play both that and 23* hybrid but probably wouldn't be worth it for the extra club (I worry a lot less about gaps when I get over 200y). I did order my 5i 1* strong from 27* to 26* to help gap to the hybrid

What loft does the I20 4 iron come in? It really does sound like a sweet little weapon to me.

It's 24* so I actually could play both that and 23* hybrid but probably wouldn't be worth it for the extra club (I worry a lot less about gaps when I get over 200y). I did order my 5i 1* strong from 27* to 26* to help gap to the hybrid

I would have a shoot out with the 4i and the hybrid, to see which one is the most consistent and stick with the winner.

Jman that was a killer writeup man. It's funny because my 1st round with the i20's was filled with fat shots as well.

Jman your thoughts on the 4 iron echo how I felt about the 3 iron and 5 iron I hit yesterday. They were super easy to hit and get on line. These have me in serious ponder mode! I am going to have to unload some stuff in order to justify getting these. Great job guys!

Jman... so is this iron GI category, forgiveness-wise?

Jman that was a killer writeup man. It's funny because my 1st round with the i20's was filled with fat shots as well.

Good to know Chunky and thank you buddy! One little tweak and it wet away, I just need more time with them I know.

Jman your thoughts on the 4 iron echo how I felt about the 3 iron and 5 iron I hit yesterday. They were super easy to hit and get on line. These have me in serious ponder mode! I am going to have to unload some stuff in order to justify getting these. Great job guys!

Haha, do it Doc!

Jman... so is this iron GI category, forgiveness-wise?

Its really early still with me only having one round on them, but to me they are just way more forgiving than I had anticipated, and more than the J40's (which I still think are pretty forgiving personally). I'm not dodging your Q, I just don't want to put a class though on them yet until I get more time. IMO they certainly aren't "hard" to hit though.

Its really early still with me only having one round on them, but to me they are just way more forgiving than I had anticipated, and more than the J40's (which I still think are pretty forgiving personally). I'm not dodging your Q, I just don't want to put a class though on them yet until I get more time. IMO they certainly aren't "hard" to hit though.

No worries. Thanks for the input.

I hit my AP2 and the i20 side by side on the range 7i only to a 180 flagstick. When hit well the AP2 landed about 10 yards in front of the stick and the i20 just a few feet short. Out on the toe the AP2 lost about 10 yards, give or take a tad. On the toe with the i20 wasn't too much of a discernible difference. Maybe 5 yards? Granted when i say on the toe i mean still in the grooves but just toward the outside portion. I don't mean off the smooth metal of the actual toe. I consider about 10yd loss on a toe hit (the AP2) to be pretty darn forgiving. The i20 still beat that out though.

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

I hit my AP2 and the i20 side by side on the range 7i only to a 180 flagstick. When hit well the AP2 landed about 10 yards in front of the stick and the i20 just a few feet short. Out on the toe the AP2 lost about 10 yards, give or take a tad. On the toe with the i20 wasn't too much of a discernible difference. Maybe 5 yards? Granted when i say on the toe i mean still in the grooves but just toward the outside portion. I don't mean off the smooth metal of the actual toe. I consider about 10yd loss on a toe hit (the AP2) to be pretty darn forgiving. The i20 still beat that out though.

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

I agree on their forgiveness in a comparison like that (as I have from my J40 to the i20), I'm just no where near ready yet to put an absolute on it. I know where I'd rank them now, but that is only with a single round, that's just not enough to do so for me personally.

Back