Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

Went out to E. WATTS today to check on a hitting toward the toe issue with my i20s. Took the 6i and explained what was going on. Wanted to check to see if lie angle was still white dot. I was advised to make a slight ball position change and set up with ball just slightly closer to hosel and viola...I hit about 15 more shots and most looked just like this. JLooking forward to taking this out to the course. These center hits had this club feeling like a forged iron.

Also Been working on my alignment too and I am seeing some improvement. New ball position was giving me more a bit more

a6f8608b-a7a9-2a53.jpg

TapAhoy!

Last edited:
Now THAT is a nice impact pattern SMG!!!

These center hits had this club feeling like a forged iron.

Great strike pattern, SeeMore! Also, couldn't agree more with the above quote. These irons feel amazing on pure shots...and pretty darn good on the not-so-pure ones.

Keith now that is a solid pattern dude!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Thanks i20 Lovers.

I just realized I had not changed my signature to show the i20s their proper respect.

I am now thinking about adding a 4i....shame on me. That might be biting off more than I chew right now.

I am now thinking about adding a 4i....shame on me. That might be biting off more than I chew right now.

I know you love your Mashies alot SMG, but I honestly wouldn't let the 4i scare you. What a great club, and just as easy to hit IMO as the 5i or 6i.

Dude, I promise you, the 4 iron is very easy to hit...like, stupid easy. Honestly, I think it is just as easy to hit at the 7 is. If you can handle the 5, the 4 should be no problem. I have been pondering a 2 or 3 iron (to add to my 4 iron up top) for a while because of how much I love the 4...but I can't decide if I want to a) pull the trigger on the 2/3 irons, b) get a hybrid instead, or c) wait to try the Callaway's driving iron in 18°/20°.

The offset makes it really simple, and it's packed with forgiveness. I have been hitting soaring Tiger long iron bombs with the 4, I really don't see where many people would have trouble with it...but, your mileage may vary. Either way, I think it is worth a solid look.

May have to pull trigger Jman. Another i20 ponder is upgrading to KBS shafts. Not sure if my launch angle is too low (21*) with my 6 iron CFS shaft. Keep hearing the KBS is more of a higher launching shaft. Not sure how it compares with the CFS which feels pretty good to me. More testing needed. Hopefully this week.
When I get my mind set on something golf related I just gotta know. :banghead:

May have to pull trigger Jman. Another i20 ponder is upgrading to KBS shafts. Not sure if my launch angle is too low (21*) with my 6 iron CFS shaft. Keep hearing the KBS is more of a higher launching shaft. Not sure how it compares with the CFS which feels pretty good to me. More testing needed. Hopefully this week.

I considered upgrading to KBS as well, but the cost and how well I have ended up hitting the CFS has convinced me that I'll be ok.

Believe me, I understand that entirely.

Appreciate the encouragement there Hart, but you are a freaking beast length-wise with these sticks. I dont have that those type of skills but am certainly going to consider the 4i as my next i20 pick up.

Appreciate the encouragement there Hart, but you are a freaking beast length-wise with these sticks. I dont have that those type of skills but am certainly going to consider the 4i as my next i20 pick up.

haha thanks dude, but, length doesn't have much to do with the 4 iron being a pretty easy club to hit. Within this thread, guys of many skill levels have signed off on that...based on the impact tape a few posts back, you'll be a-okay with it, I would bet.

It is hands down, far and away the easiest 4 iron I've ever laid hands on. That is what is truly beautiful about the i20's; I don't see any "loss" in feel, control, etc. in in the 7-PW compared to my old blades (which is something I loved and why I held on to them for so long), but the 4-6 irons are ridiculously easy to hit compared to my blades. The progressive offset in these irons is done beautifully. To further that point, I've bagged easier to hit clubs in the past too..."middle of the road" irons like the i20's...and the 3-5 always gave me that unsure feeling; regardless of how much my game/swing was clicking. With the i20's, the 4 iron is now a club I pull out and am eager to hit. I don't fear failure, I expect success with it.

Just wanted to post that I am jumping on the i20 bandwagon. Finally got a chance to hit them vs my mizuno's and REALLY like the feel of them. The offset will take some getting used to due to playing blade style irons for 7+ years but I think I can deal with that. Ordered 3-pw red dot and really looking forward to getting them in my bag. I kind of regret never giving ping irons a road test before these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wanted to post that I am jumping on the i20 bandwagon. Finally got a chance to hit them vs my mizuno's and REALLY like the feel of them. The offset will take some getting used to due to playing blade style irons for 7+ years but I think I can deal with that. Ordered 3-pw red dot and really looking forward to getting them in my bag. I kind of regret never giving ping irons a road test before these.

AWESOME! Welcome another to the i20 family!!! I freaking love it!

I seriously think you will love them, now you just have that whole waiting thing to get through!

SMG: I was really looking forward to the 4i based on what I'd read in this thread and elsewhere. I was so confident that I ordered the 4i and 3i with the rest of the set. I'm a traditionalist having learned on blades as a kid, so the thought of a hybrid replacing a long iron just didn't sit well. I was disheartened with first impressions of the long irons but stuck with it and I'm now finding the 4i and 3i (off the tee) are deadly good tools. If you're a digger, I don't recommend hitting the long irons on plastic mats, the bounce on these soles is crazy unless on real turf. Turf interaction is magical on the real stuff. I've now had enough experience with both clubs to be able to say "go for it." You won't be disappointed.

Thanks bud, the distance really impressed me as well. My normal 7 iron is pretty much dead on 168 and the I20 was flying 173-175. Really looking forward to relearning my yardages all over again. Lol.

Thanks for the insight JP. It just may be here sooner than I was planning. Any thoughts from people on going graphite 4i? I like to think outside the box sometimes.

TapAhoy!

Sweet! Hope you love them. My initial impressions are extremely positive - easy to hit long irons, very controlled shorts. And LONG.

Shanked with my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

Which Mizzy's did you game TBone

TapAhoy!

SMG: I was really looking forward to the 4i based on what I'd read in this thread and elsewhere. I was so confident that I ordered the 4i and 3i with the rest of the set. I'm a traditionalist having learned on blades as a kid, so the thought of a hybrid replacing a long iron just didn't sit well. I was disheartened with first impressions of the long irons but stuck with it and I'm now finding the 4i and 3i (off the tee) are deadly good tools. If you're a digger, I don't recommend hitting the long irons on plastic mats, the bounce on these soles is crazy unless on real turf. Turf interaction is magical on the real stuff. I've now had enough experience with both clubs to be able to say "go for it." You won't be disappointed.

Same thing with me. At first I could not hit the 4 iron. Always wet to the left. As JMAN said earlier, these irons will not correct a bad swing. When I wrapped my brain around the fact that you don't have to swing out of your shoes to get distance, now they are straight and long. Long to me is 190 yards with my 4 iron. There I said it and I am not ashamed. BUT 190 yds and pretty much straight, I will take that.

I would takea 4i @ 190 down the pipe all day TME.

TapAhoy!

Being able to confidently pipe it 190 is a great thing. That's a shot that will serve you well.

Shanked with my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

Same thing with me. At first I could not hit the 4 iron. Always wet to the left. As JMAN said earlier, these irons will not correct a bad swing. When I wrapped my brain around the fact that you don't have to swing out of your shoes to get distance, now they are straight and long. Long to me is 190 yards with my 4 iron. There I said it and I am not ashamed. BUT 190 yds and pretty much straight, I will take that.
I'm able to put a pretty athletic swing into the 5i and above but I think it starts coming apart when I try to hit the 4i that way. I ended up choking up a 1/2" and using the same swing I use on a 6i or 7i, more upright. Completely different outcome. I hit a 200 yard green on the fly and stuck it last week. Was trying to roll it on. Shocking.

Back