PING G430 MAX 10K Driver Preview

Really looking forward to this one!! Gamer shaft in it?
Putting LINQ White M40X 6F5 in it because it’s a profile that I know well when testing driver heads. Same will go into the Qi10 Max that is in for review, should really let me see what the head is capable of.

I gotta say, I know it’s love it or hate it for many, but I like the look of the crown materials wise.

IMG_6718.jpeg

All the way down. Haha

I’m sure this is just a me thing….

But I’ve noticed that opening (lofting down) the driver too much tends to produce more hooks…somewhat contradictory to conventional thinking. I guess I overreact to the more open faces I see…? 🤷‍♂️

Get it out on a windy day and it shines.

Happy to see they are both 10.5 heads so you can turn them down a bit if needed.
And make them wide open? Mm. Kind of the opposite of the norm for who they're supposed to be made for.

And make them wide open? Mm. Kind of the opposite of the norm for who they're supposed to be made for.
I get that. I’m focused solely on my needs! 😆

It’s a very real thing with the 10K drivers for some, something we talked to a lot of R&D guys about .
I didnt purchase a 10K, but after yesterday I might be forced to. Buddy has one 10.5* he won with the stock CB black 55 Stiff. and we have been playing with shafts. Like an after the fact fitting lol. Last night we put in a HZDRUS smoke blue RDX 70, 6.5 that completely changed the club, more than any shaft change I have ever seen. I have been swinging very well for my 64 yr old self the last few weeks, driver around 103-104. With the Smoke Blue I was averaging 261 carry, 284 total on Trackman. Most were dead straight (+ /- 3 yards either way) I was trying to hit baby draws most of the time, but a 3yd fade is quite acceptable when not really trying to turn a corner or something. Ball will easily be in the short grass. If I tried to work it much either way it tended to get away from me a little, but I think that was me over working it. Taking this setup out on the course Tuesday. If it works like it did indoors, I'm in! Hell I'll feel like I'm 40 again!

Considering both brands market the adjustability as an important design feature…

Fit is fit, and for some, that might be with the face angle opened. You know that.

Should have a new adapter here tomorrow morning to get started with this one. All the crazy ass Oklahoma weather definitely means I’ve got time to capture data and get to know the head before on course testing begins as well.

Considering both brands market the adjustability as an important design feature…

Fit is fit, and for some, that might be with the face angle opened. You know that.
Yeah I'm just a bit confused on the whole thing I guess. You had said they were going to be tested with the stock shafts they were designed for as part of the review. And have said they weren't designed for fast swingers. So LinQ White F5 with a wide open face would kind of be the opposite of the intended user you've described.

Yeah I'm just a bit confused on the whole thing I guess. You had said they were going to be tested with the stock shafts they were designed for as part of the review. And have said they weren't designed for fast swingers. So LinQ White F5 with a wide open face would kind of be the opposite of the intended user you've described.
The funny thing is, things can change. The decision was made that for conversation, let’s put something that fits me into the heads so we can see exactly what they do in terms of claims versus marketing, much of this brought about specifically from comments like yours previously, interestingly enough.

As for the face thing, I think you know bantering conversation when you see it. In reality for the testing, if you’ve read any of our (myself, Ddec, Hawk) homepage reviews, then you know initial data is always collected with the head in its standard setting, so in this case, 10.5. However, after that testing period adjustments are usually made to adapters to be able to further tell the story of the design and performance in more detail to readers.

We don’t do things haphazardly when it comes to reviews my guy. Never have, and never will.

Fun test. These heads are interesting. @Jman do you still have a Callaway B21 head laying around?

Fun test. These heads are interesting. @Jman do you still have a Callaway B21 head laying around?
I don’t unfortunately, I’ve still got data from it, but not the actual head.

Im eager to get a prolonged time with them, especially on a course setting, to see the actual response to misses….and if I battle squaring the face with the 10k

Get it out on a windy day and it shines.
For sure. In its maiden round, the last 3 holes were playing dead into the wind. It was SO good.

For sure. In its maiden round, the last 3 holes were playing dead into the wind. It was SO good.
I look forward to testing this in the Oklahoma wind haha

Played a few more rounds with this in a 10.5 degree set to +.75. Still echo my thoughts on if you rely on your hands to save the shot this may not be the head design for you but it is a great performing head all together especially since it’s sorta a unicorn with other high MOI drivers having more spin. Love the stability feel you get off the face at impact, as well as how powerful it feels. Had a great day driving today with this in some decent wind but think the ball (Srixon Z-Star Diamond) had something to do with that as well in addition to the spin characteristics this driver produces. I’m really pleased with performance with this head. Obviously if you struggle with vertical location you can get a few fly balls if you cut the legs out from underneath the ball but when struck well the ball just goes. Also love how the shot shape is subtle unless you really exaggerate both swing and strike on the ball, as a lot of my shot are slight draws or fades that trail off at the end.

Played a few more rounds with this in a 10.5 degree set to +.75. Still echo my thoughts on if you rely on your hands to save the shot this may not be the head design for you but it is a great performing head all together especially since it’s sorta a unicorn with other high MOI drivers having more spin. Love the stability feel you get off the face at impact, as well as how powerful it feels. Had a great day driving today with this in some decent wind but think the ball (Srixon Z-Star Diamond) had something to do with that as well in addition to the spin characteristics this driver produces. I’m really pleased with performance with this head. Obviously if you struggle with vertical location you can get a few fly balls if you cut the legs out from underneath the ball but when struck well the ball just goes. Also love how the shot shape is subtle unless you really exaggerate both swing and strike on the ball, as a lot of my shot are slight draws or fades that trail off at the end.
Excellent thoughts there!

This is not the longest driver Ive ever hit but its been the most consistent driver Ive ever hit. It closes the gap on distance consistency for me. I bought it with the 50g red smoke rdx, it has great launch but I cant tell you anything about the spin, I should take the mevo to the range and get some spin numbers. Very stable feel, when I miss its a pull instead of a usual slice.

IMHO, in the fittings I have done and my own playing experience, Ping 10K is worth a look for any player regardless of CHS that doesn’t need more shot shape correction than what the loft sleeve offers. I’ve had slicer and hookers test the 10K, Max, LST and SFT in a session. 10K has a hard time hanging with Max, LST and SFT because of the rear moveable weight.

I’m expecting 10K Gen 2 will have moveable weight. I also hope Ping makes SFT in a 9° head.

IMHO, in the fittings I have done and my own playing experience, Ping 10K is worth a look for any player regardless of CHS that doesn’t need more shot shape correction than what the loft sleeve offers. I’ve had slicer and hookers test the 10K, Max, LST and SFT in a session. 10K has a hard time hanging with Max, LST and SFT because of the rear moveable weight.

I’m expecting 10K Gen 2 will have moveable weight. I also hope Ping makes SFT in a 9° head.
I think the issue there is based on how you move the weight, it could drop the MOI below that 10K mark. That said, they may not care if it does.

I'm in the, the more adjustability the better, camp, so I'd be here for it.

The stock alta shaft doesn't do the head justice IMO. The head launches the ball high already and most will need a lower spin shaft.

I look forward to testing this in the Oklahoma wind haha
We'll get 20-30 Tuesday....should be a good shootout

Back