PING G430 MAX 10K Driver Preview

I ordered mine yesterday. 10.5 with R flex proforce v2. Aaaaaand now we wait………..

f6682d32c68060e1ca59ad3e748d86d0.png

I'd been told they anticipated mine shipping to my clubfitter on 4/2. But it was still in production as of Friday. It was kind of an impuse buy. When I got fit the G430 was almost perfect - the only thing my fitter thought I needed was a bit less spin. But I wasn't nearly as accurate with the LST.

He said this has the forgiveness of the Max with just a bit less spin. I love my G430 Max....so it's not like I was dying for something else.

If it comes in this week, I likely won't get a chance to play a round with it before the WWGC at Briggs next week. Not sure I want to show up to the event with a driver I've never hit, lol.

On a whim, my buddy let me use his 10K Max for a round (Ventus Blue Velocore). I had previously hit the stock shaft on the Trackman and the numbers were promising but I wasn't truly overwhelmed. My typical miss is either a straight pull or a push fade. I found the driver to live up to the 10K MOI advertisement. The ball rarely moved offline. Distance was about equal or slightly longer than my TSR2 (Xcaliber Avalon). Where I get into trouble is with a super forgiving driver, I tend to abandon technique and start swinging out of my shoes, probably because the club is so forgiving. That lead to one bad push into the trees. When I stayed within myself, the club just felt super stable. So I just ordered the Ventus and now I'm debating heading to Dick's and getting the driver.

I'd been told they anticipated mine shipping to my clubfitter on 4/2. But it was still in production as of Friday. It was kind of an impuse buy. When I got fit the G430 was almost perfect - the only thing my fitter thought I needed was a bit less spin. But I wasn't nearly as accurate with the LST.

He said this has the forgiveness of the Max with just a bit less spin. I love my G430 Max....so it's not like I was dying for something else.

If it comes in this week, I likely won't get a chance to play a round with it before the WWGC at Briggs next week. Not sure I want to show up to the event with a driver I've never hit, lol.

OK - it did come in. It did get a range session and round before Briggs. And it is 100% coming on the trip. 100%.

My goodness, it's a good driver.

On a whim, my buddy let me use his 10K Max for a round (Ventus Blue Velocore). I had previously hit the stock shaft on the Trackman and the numbers were promising but I wasn't truly overwhelmed. My typical miss is either a straight pull or a push fade. I found the driver to live up to the 10K MOI advertisement. The ball rarely moved offline. Distance was about equal or slightly longer than my TSR2 (Xcaliber Avalon). Where I get into trouble is with a super forgiving driver, I tend to abandon technique and start swinging out of my shoes, probably because the club is so forgiving. That lead to one bad push into the trees. When I stayed within myself, the club just felt super stable. So I just ordered the Ventus and now I'm debating heading to Dick's and getting the driver.
If it's a 9 degree do it. Popularity with less typical Ping players contributing to a bit of a shortage there.

On the range, I'm hitting the G430 Max 9 deg so well that I'm not ready to make this move. Maybe staying away from instruction after so many years of it has given me time to find it for myself ... me and my iPhone video.

But when I hit the course and if things get out of whack, I know myself ... I will look.

If it's a 9 degree do it. Popularity with less typical Ping players contributing to a bit of a shortage there.
I was looking for a head only but ended up buying the 10K Max at the local golf shop in 9°. They had a handful in stock.

I played yesterday with the stock Alta shaft and it was a bit of a timing struggle but once I got it down, good grief, this thing is long. I'm waiting on an adapter in the mail but once it gets here, the Ventus is going in.

Tinkering with the 10k and the Autoflex 505X. 19g back weight gets me to a D0 swing weight. 12/14 fairways yesterday and putting it past my much younger playing partners. :)View attachment 9257402
Your dog does not seem suitably impressed😀

The course was playing tough yesterday as they've not been able to keep up mowing the rough at the course (combo of rain and the fact that you can almost see the grass growing this time of year in my area). Anything out of the fairway was in US Open level (maybe worse) rough.

11/14 fairways and long (for me) with the 10k and I beat the pants off the 19 other guys in my group. Pretty much 100% due to me hitting more fairways than everyone else. I continue to be impressed with the performance.

On another note (and yes I realize sound is very subjective), the head sounds less vomitus to me with the 19g back weight. It sounds a little less hollow/tin can like to my ears. I wouldn't go so far as to say I like it, but I hate it less now. :)

I've been reading a lot of reviews about this driver. A lot of people are getting 15 - 20 yards further?! Is this the case with a lot of you?

I've been reading a lot of reviews about this driver. A lot of people are getting 15 - 20 yards further?! Is this the case with a lot of you?
I’d imagine anyone getting that much more out of a driver was likely poorly fit previously or gaming a really old driver.

I would agree with DNice26, if you were fit well into your current driver you won't see that distance pick-up. What I see vs. the Stealth 2 Plus I was playing is better forgiveness which results in more consistent distance and more accuracy. What I see being somewhat unique with this head is most of the "forgiving heads" I've hit are higher spinning. This one has a really nice combo of low spin AND forgiveness.

I’d imagine anyone getting that much more out of a driver was likely poorly fit previously or gaming a really old driver.
Or they themselves have changed and their needs along with it.

We will be getting this one in hand for full review very very soon.

We will be getting this one in hand for full review very very soon.
Feels like the boat has been missed on that one, no?

Feels like the boat has been missed on that one, no?

I really don’t think so, It’s a current release a handful of months old, and it’ll help provide even more knowledge and feedback for THP’ers on top of that already in here. Pretty exciting imo.

Last edited:
I really don’t think so, It’s a current release a handful of months old, and it’ll help provide even more knowledge and feedback for THP’ers on top of that already in here. Pretty exciting imo.
I mean to say feelings about it seem pretty well established already.

Maybe you'll have some fun with it though. You mentioned how most will be sold as stock pairings. Have you decided how you're going set yours up?

I mean to say feelings about it seem pretty well established already.

Maybe you'll have some fun with it though. You mentioned how most will be sold as stock pairings. Have you decided how you're going set yours up?
The more feedback, the better. That’s always been the way here on THP both through forum feedback as well as full reviews on the homepage.

As with most reviews, the stock setup is what will be used for whomever does the review.

My club is having a demo day this Sunday, with most of the manufacturers showing up.

I can't wait to try the 10K.

My club is having a demo day this Sunday, with most of the manufacturers showing up.

I can't wait to try the 10K.
Nice! I look forward to your thoughts!

That's quite possible out on the course especially on poor strikes.

Back