Parent-Child Golf

my brother took my nephew to congressional for the practice round
my nephew won the putting contest and got a headcover... kid is turning 6 in august
they got him on the full swing sim and several teaching pros kept asking my bro if he was involved in any jr golf programs lol
kids gonna be a gamer... already hitting driver around 100+ yrds

I wish I had the swing and accuracy of my 7 yr. old son. Left handed and smooth. Hits his 3 wood off the deck or tee 110 yards and right down the middle.

Tell your brother to find out if they have snag golf in his area. It is a great teaching tool for kids in that age range. It is fun for adults as well. Snag is fun for adults as well. You can do a quick internet search for it and will tell you all about it.

Played with my son and friend yesterday. Both just graduated from high school, both are beginning golfers, and both showed up without enough balls to play a round. After seven holes, I had to empty my bag to give them enough to finish the round. A lot of them were slightly scuffed, but I gave two new sleeves out of a total of about 20 or so balls. They said they would buy their own at the pro shop at the turn, but neither really understood that they'd end up spend $70 or so for balls. And, since I was treating for the round for my son (which I always do to provide an incentive for him to play with me) and his friend (for a graduation present/treat), having them both fork over $30 or $40 for pro-shop balls would kind of defeat the purpose.

On the positive side, since I finished the round with literally two balls in my bag, I ended up going to Golftown to get a dozen Titleist NXTs and a dozen Bridgestone E6s. I've never played the Bridgestones so I'm pretty psyched to try them out.

I wish I had the swing and accuracy of my 7 yr. old son. Left handed and smooth. Hits his 3 wood off the deck or tee 110 yards and right down the middle.

Tell your brother to find out if they have snag golf in his area. It is a great teaching tool for kids in that age range. It is fun for adults as well. Snag is fun for adults as well. You can do a quick internet search for it and will tell you all about it.

he took my nephew to get evaluated by a top 50 jr golf instructor and the guy wanted to take him on even tho my nephew is only 5
the instructor never takes kids under the age of 7 and told my brother he wants to make an exception for my nephew
pretty much blew my brother away
i already told my brother that he's got some serious talent

Got paired up with a guy and his 12 year old (guessing) son. They both just started playing 2 years ago. We talked about how we both we wish we had started playing at his sons age but played a bunch of other sports. They said they like to get out and play a couple times a week which I thought was cool.

I played with my 9 year old son yesterday. My twins have been playing since they were 5. Yesterday, he hit my driver (standard 45" length and a stiff flex) over 150 yards right down the middle. His swing was just free flowing and solid. He then hit his driver about the same with a higher trajectory. It is finally clicking with him that he doesn't need to kill the ball.

I have been letting him tag along with our weekly skins game and he has been slowly learning the etiquette and proper ways to play the game. He tends the flags for everyone and knows not to walk in anyones lines when putting. He knows to be quiet when others are hitting. Basically, he learning the game the way it should be played.

It happened much sooner than I ever expected... my son beat me. He's 8 and I'm a 12.5 index. We were playing a pre tournament practice round at Windsor Golf Club in Northern Ca. When he started draining every putt he looked at I knew I was in trouble. By the 5th hole I felt like a spectator watching him tear up the place. When I told him he beat me he didn't even get excited, he just asked if I was sad or proud. "Proud as I can be" I told him, then he smiled and gave me a hug.

So cool! Congrats to your boy... And to you for being a great dad :)

It happened much sooner than I ever expected... my son beat me. He's 8 and I'm a 12.5 index. We were playing a pre tournament practice round at Windsor Golf Club in Northern Ca. When he started draining every putt he looked at I knew I was in trouble. By the 5th hole I felt like a spectator watching him tear up the place. When I told him he beat me he didn't even get excited, he just asked if I was sad or proud. "Proud as I can be" I told him, then he smiled and gave me a hug.

Awesome. It happens to me about half the time, now, but my daughter's 15. I love it.

Kevin

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've posted on THP and I just happened to see this thread at the perfect time to ask you guys/gals some questions.

First off, I am now working at a country club in the NYC area and am teaching a junior camp this week for the first time (ages 6-13). I have done a few junior clinics that are an hour long and those have all gone well but I am finding the 2 hour camp sessions with 13 kids a little difficult. I always have at least 1 other instructor with me as well as the camp director and a counselor or two so it's not like I am out numbered or overwhelmed by the kids, but I am struggling with keeping them all interested and having fun. The kids in the camp have all different kinds of skill levels all the way from never touching a golf club before to hitting a nice draw pretty consistently. I was curious if any of you guys that do have kids and play golf with them had any ideas for what I could do/implement into the session to help them learn and have more fun? Any games/contests as well as fun drills that any of you have used with success would be a tremendous help.

Sorry that was a little long winded, but I look forward to getting some suggestions from you guys! Thanks in advance!

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've posted on THP and I just happened to see this thread at the perfect time to ask you guys/gals some questions.

First off, I am now working at a country club in the NYC area and am teaching a junior camp this week for the first time (ages 6-13). I have done a few junior clinics that are an hour long and those have all gone well but I am finding the 2 hour camp sessions with 13 kids a little difficult. I always have at least 1 other instructor with me as well as the camp director and a counselor or two so it's not like I am out numbered or overwhelmed by the kids, but I am struggling with keeping them all interested and having fun. The kids in the camp have all different kinds of skill levels all the way from never touching a golf club before to hitting a nice draw pretty consistently. I was curious if any of you guys that do have kids and play golf with them had any ideas for what I could do/implement into the session to help them learn and have more fun? Any games/contests as well as fun drills that any of you have used with success would be a tremendous help.

Sorry that was a little long winded, but I look forward to getting some suggestions from you guys! Thanks in advance!

Straight from big break that I thought was kind of fun. Set up a tic-tac-toe and the kids could chip to the square they want.

Parent-child golf can be a good thing, but don't let your kids take 15 shots when you have a group sitting in the fairway waiting 10 minutes for your kids to finish the hole so we can hit our approach shots.

I know this isn't a rant thread, but it drove me up the proverbial wall today.

Parent-child golf can be a good thing, but don't let your kids take 15 shots when you have a group sitting in the fairway waiting 10 minutes for your kids to finish the hole so we can hit our approach shots.

I know this isn't a rant thread, but it drove me up the proverbial wall today.

Maybe this particular parent should have encouraged their child to "hit from daddys ball position" each stroke.

First off, I am not a parent. Now that I have that out of they way, let me say what I have to say and get out.

I am working as a rules official this week at a Ladies Amateur. Today I watched a parent possibly damage his relationship with his daughter because of his hovering. He was caddying for her.

I don't know exactly what went on but we were warned as he has had some issues in the past to the point the players in her group asked the officials to talk to him. By the middle of the front she was hitting her shot handing him the club and walking 30-40 feet in front of him. I noticed several exchanges that did not appear friendly between the two.

I know there were several girls in the field that have played on collage programs in the US. One was on the A team for Oklahoma (yes she knows Rickie). I understand why parents may push their kids who show talent in that direction because of the scholarships available.

My opinion after today is that you please find a friend or a professional to caddy for your child in tournaments. You caddying for them isn't helping them. I know you are concerned and have likely put out a lot of money toward their golf education but you need to step back and not walk beside them reminding them how much you spent on gas and clubs and lessons and whatever. Putting yourself and your child in those situations can have terrible and serious results. One of the other officials has a disciplinary call tomorrow for an incident that happened in a boy's event. The boy blew up at a tournament and may not ever play in another. If that happens what are his chances of getting in a golf program anywhere?

A caddy needs to be a cheerleader, a psychologist, and above all, someone to take your mind off golf between shots. Someone to help you focus, and read greens if you need help. Someone to carry your clubs and hand you a drink of water and a bite to eat, then tell you to go hit it like a really good shot you hit. Someone who is more worried about building a good yardage book than reminding you what your pro or teacher said last night. Someone to help you pick good targets.

Your child needs to learn how to do everything for themselves and not have you there doing it for them. If they get where you want them to go you won't be there to do it for them. Then what happens?

Please, please, give your kid a break and step back. Give them a change to do their best with only the pressure of playing in the tournament to worry about. Let them show you what they can do and don't try to turn them into a puppet with you working the strings.

But in the end it's still a game of golf, and if at the end of the day you can't shake hands with your opponents and still be friends, then you've missed the point.
Payne Stewart

Last edited:
It takes a special relationship between child and parent to be able to work together. I would like to think together you can establish a great two way relationship.

My 10-yr old broke her wrist this week. Lost my little golf buddy for a while. She's very disappointed.

Anyone in S NJ need a 4th this weekend? My current plans are in a cast.

My 10-yr old broke her wrist this week. Lost my little golf buddy for a while. She's very disappointed.

Anyone in S NJ need a 4th this weekend? My current plans are in a cast.

That is horrible. Hope she heels quickly brother.

That is horrible. Hope she heels quickly brother.

Thanks HC. 6 weeks. She'll be fine. Kills the rest of her Summer and she'll virtually be starting her golf journey over. There are many worse things. Thank God for minor setbacks.

My son played in a Junior Golf event at our Country Club this weekend, you could do worse than double par, he did blow up on the 2 hardest holes on the course, but did pretty good overall and won his flight.
He put together a great run on a Par 4, and pared the hole! So that pretty much put him on top.

My 2 boys are so different! My oldest loves basketbll and swimming and doesn't care about anything else. However, my 3 year old loves every kind of ball you can find. He wants to go out in the yard in the evenings and hit golf balls. Maybe time to get him some clubs?

My 2 boys are so different! My oldest loves basketbll and swimming and doesn't care about anything else. However, my 3 year old loves every kind of ball you can find. He wants to go out in the yard in the evenings and hit golf balls. Maybe time to get him some clubs?

Get him the Fisher Price play kind and just let him play with them. Let him enjoy the fun of the game rather than going out and getting him clubs. Give him 6 months to a year with those and then hook him up.

Well I'm 16,

My dad got me into the game and made it interesting for me..

He was always helpful and supportive he is a good and consistent 11 handicapper...

Recently I have started to be able to beat him comfortably most of the time when we play and it's not the same now...

He doesnt have the same enthusiasm for going out anymore and when we do he just wants to go home...

Really depressing as I grew up playing golf with him and it's pretty much the only thing we bond over

Any advice?

Well I'm 16,

My dad got me into the game and made it interesting for me..

He was always helpful and supportive he is a good and consistent 11 handicapper...

Recently I have started to be able to beat him comfortably most of the time when we play and it's not the same now...

He doesnt have the same enthusiasm for going out anymore and when we do he just wants to go home...

Really depressing as I grew up playing golf with him and it's pretty much the only thing we bond over

Any advice?

That's a tough one Shane. Why do you think he's less interested? Is he still playing as well as he used to, or falling off? Might have nothing to do with losing to you and much more to do with the feeling of getting old, losing his power, his ability, aches and pains...? I can tell you that my dad loved losing to me when I improved, but at the same time he saw himself losing his skills a bit.

Just a guess, that's a tough one to even try and advise you on without knowing either of you. Or anything about you. Can only relate it to the first time my Dad couldn't hit a half-ball and stared his own mortality in the face. Was a shock to him.

Maybe you can change the focus from the quality of his round,, to quality time with you. Maybe give him something to know that you appreciate him introducing you to the game, cherishing the time with him, the gift of golf for a lifetime and the memories it's given you. Is there a club he's always wanted? Maybe make it a gift, have a token of your appreciation inscribed on it...

That's a lot of maybes. I have no business advising you on this one, but wish you a wonderful outcome. Best of luck.

I only started golfing last year when my cousin introduced me, but my dad was never in to Golf in the slightest. He is more of a car man and all that, but when he hears me succeeding in it, it makes him think about taking it up. I wished he would of liked it, and got me started when I was a little kid because I would be a hell of a lot better than I am now!

That's a tough one Shane. Why do you think he's less interested? Is he still playing as well as he used to, or falling off? Might have nothing to do with losing to you and much more to do with the feeling of getting old, losing his power, his ability, aches and pains...? I can tell you that my dad loved losing to me when I improved, but at the same time he saw himself losing his skills a bit.

Just a guess, that's a tough one to even try and advise you on without knowing either of you. Or anything about you. Can only relate it to the first time my Dad couldn't hit a half-ball and stared his own mortality in the face. Was a shock to him.

Maybe you can change the focus from the quality of his round,, to quality time with you. Maybe give him something to know that you appreciate him introducing you to the game, cherishing the time with him, the gift of golf for a lifetime and the memories it's given you. Is there a club he's always wanted? Maybe make it a gift, have a token of your appreciation inscribed on it...

That's a lot of maybes. I have no business advising you on this one, but wish you a wonderful outcome. Best of luck.

Sorry, I haven't been on.

Ehm well tbh without it sounding like child services need to be rang, he doesn't care... Like I know deep down he cares for me but he never really showed it.. I'm the same like qnd I'm not complainimg but like golf was just the one time where nothing else really mattered and we usually played with one or two of his friends and it was just fun..

But recently it's nearly getting worse, I am not the best at judgeing where my ball goes and he normally has a very good eye and would always know exactly where it is but now he just sqys I need to learn to find it myself... And he also now if I am concentrated on a chip / putt and am having a look at things will just walk up and hit his shot even if it's right in front of mine..

It's not because he is getting worse, I know he's getting older but he's getting better if anything.. I know he's stressed and that but it's getting to the stage where I just feel its actually harming my game to play with him, think I might give it a break from playing with him for a while and see what happens, but really sad about this as like it's the one thing I've strived to do really well in, in craving of his approval/pride.. But guess I'll see how it goes

Back