Parent-Child Golf

Congrats!

I took my son out to the course for the first time tonight, he had more fun driving than anything, considering he's only 19 months!!!

IMG_2041_zps286cca52.jpg
IMG_2032_zpsf19b7a96.jpg

I couldn't be happier!!!
IMG_2031_zpsae5603a4.jpg

I had GC on and they were broadcasting an LPGA event. Someone who was wearing a short skort and form fitting top was standing over a putt. I asked my son (he is 8) if he thought she was a hottie. In the mean time the golfer drained a 30 footer. My son turned to me and said "No. But I liked her putt." Cracked me up.

I encouraged my 4 1/2 year old to pull his clubs out of the garage Saturday afternoon as we were grilling, and he enjoyed it. Especially after I teed up the ball making it easier to connect. He hit his 7/8 iron and his driver with a mix of golf balls and foam balls. His strength is definitely his follow through.

And at dinner, he suggested that we all (my wife, my son, and I) get up early and go to golf practice (the range). So we went over and hit some balls, sent my wife to her gym class, and then my son and I had muni golf breakfast, and hit the putting green.

Last night when I was grilling, the clubs came out again. I didn't see the swing, but he nearly put a real golf ball over the 9 foot wall between our house and our neighbor. There is a 3 foot wood extension on top of the block wall, and that made a whump when he hit it. Since the wall is covered in creeping fig that needs to be trimmed back, I figure that we'll get about 6 real and foam golf balls back when it's trimmed next.

We'll see how it goes. Thinking about signing him up for some pee wee golf (4 - 7) group lessons to see how a real pro can provide guidance, and not just a hacker.

My soon to be 4 like to play in our backyard, hits into a net I just recently purchased. He swings right handed and criss crossed, when I try to correct his grip he gets upset cause the contact is not as good. I just let him be and let him have fun. We go to the range, every now and then I chunk a ball and his ball off the tee goes further haha.

Crazy thing is that he swings a bat left handed, he is in t-ball as well. I just let him have fun, and stress constantly about making good contact. I come from a heavy background. I would like to take him to the course but not sure what the rules are on taking a 4 year old to the golf course, meaning what times are good and what really to expect at his age and at an actual golf course.

Back