Packing For a Month Long Golf Excursion

If you can spare the space, you can get a clothes rod to hang over the back seats using the jacket hooks. Then you don't have to worry about things drying all the way before you hit the road. My kid uses one to bring his laundry back to college after he brings it home.
Yeah while I have a decent size SUV (RX350), it will be packed iwth a lot of equipment that would not allow for that.

I would consider packing for a week and plan to do laundry 3 times. If I’m staying at decent enough hotels I could pay to have the laundry done. That’s a hassle but maybe less painful than trying to pack for 4 weeks.

Just make sure you have about 10 undershirts....that will be a key to your success (or failure if you don't) :unsure:

I would consider packing for a week and plan to do laundry 3 times. If I’m staying at decent enough hotels I could pay to have the laundry done. That’s a hassle but maybe less painful than trying to pack for 4 weeks.
I can’t do that based on the timeline of stays.

I wish I could get away with just a week

Just make sure you have about 10 undershirts....that will be a key to your success (or failure if you don't) :unsure:
While I agree, and I'm an undershirt wearer there are plenty that don't do them at all. It does just add another set of clothing you need to bring with.

While I agree, and I'm an undershirt wearer there are plenty that don't do them at all. It does just add another set of clothing you need to bring with.
I don't understand the undershirt thing when it comes to golf. Especially if it is hot. Just seems like a second shirt that will get sweaty and need to be washed while also making me hotter and sweatier.

I don't understand the undershirt thing when it comes to golf. Especially if it is hot. Just seems like a second shirt that will get sweaty and need to be washed while also making me hotter and sweatier.
There is nothing to understand. It’s weird for a moisture wicking shirt to have other apparel under it. It’s the 14 way users of golf apparel 🤣

I am the worst packer-always bring way too much stuff and never use half of it so I'm the wrong guy to chirp in here.

3 Ballyhack Stays including two back to back.
1 Hidden Creek
1 Victoria National
2 business meetings (one in NC and one in IL) along the way.
Sounds fun grueling at the same time. I don’t really envy you at all on this trip. It sucks when I have to be on the road for 2 weeks at a time. Hope your elbow allows you to play.

Only you, brains.
We call him Brains for a reason.

Think About It GIF by Identity

Assuming I'm not playing 30 days in a row, but I think I have enough golf attire for 15 maybe 20 days. What I don't have is 60 pairs of underwear, so doing laundry is likely at some point...
Diap up and you don't have to worry about the underwear anymore. It could also serve double duty for @JB in case he has a repeat from the last Experience.

Doing laundry would be tough for me on the road for that long. Just thinking about what to pack for that long I immediately go to neutral colors for shorts/pants and then bring more polos & 1/4 zips to color combo things. I can easily wash the shorts/pants and I'm particular about my polos and how they are washed.

Shoes I probably only take a couple of golf shoes, but maybe 3-4 pairs of regular shoes & pack every belt I own.

I would bake in some "emergency" buys that I am sure the pro shop can help with but either way the more I think about it, laundry will have to be done a minimum of 2 times.

3 Ballyhack Stays including two back to back.
1 Hidden Creek
1 Victoria National
2 business meetings (one in NC and one in IL) along the way.
Have you done the miles you will travel for this? Lot of driving.

Have you done the miles you will travel for this? Lot of driving.
I have not, but it’s a lot.
New car, already cracked 5k for all of the driving and this is going to add a lot

We travel by car now, exclusively. It just cost too much to use the RV motor home. The only reason we keep it is the Younger members of the family use it. Actually I think it being used right now by a few college students.

We pack clothes for the coldest climate we think we might run into. Since we don't wear golf specific attire, we pack our every day, nice type clothing. This includes a couple pairs of regular shoes each. Shorts, and long pants. Sweats. Usually enough for 3-4 days before needing a laundry.

The golf bag(s) already has all the essentials we will need to play golf anywhere we find a course.

We usually stay in motels every night for extended trips. My wife always calls a head to check prices. Regardless of the price, most motels are pretty much the same. We pick the cheaper ones. A comfortable bed, a good clean bath room, fridge, and microwave. Some motels offer laundries. We prefer not to use their laundries. We also travel with our own microwave just in case.

Sometimes we will camp out with a tent. In that instance we will use truck stops for laundry, and showers. They (Love's) keep these pretty clean. A person cleans these after each use.

As for food we shop for stuff while on the road. Microwave stuff for dinners. Fruits, and veggies for quick snacks. Protein bars for breakfast. Sometimes a few pounds of home made jerky goes with us. Juices, and water. We also stop for meals off a menu at various restaurants. Just depends on our mood.

Our longest road trip in the past 5 years was a 28 day trip back east. Round trip was 7K miles. We set a limit of 250-350 miles a day. This to avoid too much fatigue setting in. We will do farther, or shorter depending on travel conditions.

We just returned home from a 5 day, 1400 mile trip. We figured it cost us about $130 a day. That included an oil change. We just try to make it fun ride.

The longest overseas work trip I’ve had was 8 weeks. I took 8 days of clothes and had laundry done once a week. Because of the length of stay, it was summer when I got there and early fall when I left. Basically, a weeks worth (5 days) of work clothes and three to four days of weekend gear for hot or cool weather.

So for a golf trip, I would still plan on laundry on a weekly basis and a 7-8 days supply of golf clothes. Throw in a few pairs of pants and a pullover in the event it’s cold.

I would pack for one to two weeks figuring you are going to do laundry at least once and maybe twice. I would likely do 2-4 pairs of golf shoes. I could certainly do it with two pairs of shoes alternating shoes each day. I would also need at least 2-4 pairs of additional shoes. Sneakers some shoes you could wear someplace decent, flip flops or slides etc.

You can probably play in the same pants or shorts a couple of times. Second is that you can always buy more stuff if you need it. I think underwear, socks and golf shirts would be what you need most of.

It is a big trip. I did a 10 day trip once that included golf and snow skiing. That was a tough trip to pack for.

Last edited:
The longest overseas work trip I’ve had was 8 weeks. I took 8 days of clothes and had laundry done once a week. Because of the length of stay, it was summer when I got there and early fall when I left. Basically, a weeks worth (5 days) of work clothes and three to four days of weekend gear for hot or cool weather.

So for a golf trip, I would still plan on laundry on a weekly basis and a 7-8 days supply of golf clothes. Throw in a few pairs of pants and a pullover in the event it’s cold.
As mentioned above, weekly is not an option.

As mentioned above, weekly is not an option.
Well in that case I would have to bring all the golf gear I own.

I do think there is merit to the idea posted earlier of bundling your packing based on destination and duration at each. That way you’re not hauling all the bags in and out at every stop.

I think it depends on where you’re going and expected weather.

There are laundry services that will do pickup and delivery.

If all else fails for washing pants and shorts there is the dark jeans trick of wearing your pants in the shower while you wash your hair.

Having the car makes it a lot easier for packing purposes. I would probably bring 10-14 days of clothes and just plan on laundry like you said.

Two pairs of shoes, probably 3-4 hats
I lean this way. I wouldn’t want to do laundry on the road but seem unavoidable. I would probably research laundry services in the areas I’d be in.

From experience, if you think you need it, throw it in and bring it. If you aren’t sure and have the space, throw it in anyway. Bring every clothing piece you have? Absolutely. A suitcase just for shoes? Sure why not. Post a picture of your loaded car? Absolutely not 😂

@JB month long excursion:

*driving your own vehicle is a huge bonus. Over pack if needed.

How do you pack for this long of a trip?
You lay it all out, tell your self you have enough and to start putting stuff away but remember you're driving so you use every inch possible in the car.

Figure laundry gets done once or twice.
if laundry can be done and it's a specific piece of clothing you want for later, get that cleaned.

Just pack like every golf outfit you own?
Definitely pack an outfit for every golf round plus an few extra for those butt puckering days.

How many pairs of golf shoes do you bring?
At least three of four.

Do you pack planning on a disaster?
Yes. Pack up, load up car and if there's any spare room for another small duffle, pack that too.

Or do you pack assuming that won't happen and you are going to load up at pro shops anyway?
Load up on pro shop stuff anyway, there's always room under the seats, unless your already used it up for disaster packing.

*side note, don't forget shot scope like some one did most recently. 🤣

Back