Official Ryder Cup Thread [Spoilers]

Wanna get away?

poor Hunter with the weight of a Nation. The USA kept us in it all the way to the end, congrats for that and congrats to the Euro's for job well done!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Rick Riley's column about the US Rain Gear....

NEWPORT, Wales -- The Sun Mountain rain suits the USA team played in Friday at the Ryder Cup were three exits past awful. But they weren't as bad as the Belding bags.

Meant to look like the old leather bags of the 1970s, they repelled water like bags of the 1870s. Exhibit A: Steve Williams, Tiger Woods' caddie, was handed a new towel on the third tee box. He quickly zipped it into the side pouch. By the end of the third hole, it was sopping wet. That's how wet it got in one hole.

Same with the rain suits. I know. I held one of the jackets. It was literally dripping.

Hey, it doesn't say "Rain Mountain." An hour into the rain delay, all the caddies and players had brand-new rain suits by ProQuip, purchased by the PGA of America from the merchandise tent, at a cost of £350 each (about $550). So now the PGA of America knows how we feel paying those prices.

Better yet, the new ProQuip ones don't have those bush-league names on the back. "Haven't had my name on my back since peewee football," one player was heard to grumble while walking into the clubhouse during the rain delay.

Wonder what one of those babies would go for on eBay?

This whole team-uniform thing is confining, nonsensical and ruinous. If I were captain, as soon as I had my team, I'd have a list of everything the player wears week to week. I'd call those companies and have them send me a blank version of it -- the shirt, the pants, the rain suit, everything. Then you'd simply have your Ryder Cup staff fill in the USA logos. By the way, that's what Tiger Woods thinks, too, and apparently has been saying since this Waterworld disaster began.

Why, you ask, hold the Ryder Cup in Wales in October, when the Farmers' Almanac tells you it's going to rain every other day, at least? Because when it was originally awarded to Wales, they were hoping to schedule it for early September. But then the four-week end-of-the-year FedEx Cup playoffs was invented, which pushed it back to October, which meant everybody was stuck. "This thing might not end until Tuesday," I heard a fan say.

Not possible. It's in the captain's agreements that no hole may be started after sunset Monday. Any match not completed Monday will be considered a halved match and whichever team is leading at that point will be declared the winner.

Unless, of course, both captains agree to call it a draw. That, of course, won't happen, even if the math works out to a tie. If it's tied, the USA keeps the Cup.

The PGA of America may have picked the world's dumbest rain suits and bags, but they're not that dumb. Are they?

After watching the remorse that Mahan is showing in the conference, I will happily withdraw my statement about his reaction to the chip. Generally I do not care for that reaction in a team game, but I have a feeling he was so overwhelmed that he really didn't know what to do (short of searching for the nearest hole to crawl in.

Kudos to him for openly showing his emotion.. I think this US team has a lot to build on from some fo the camaraderie built this week.

After watching the remorse that Mahan is showing in the conference, I will happily withdraw my statement about his reaction to the chip. Generally I do not care for that reaction in a team game, but I have a feeling he was so overwhelmed that he really didn't know what to do (short of searching for the nearest hole to crawl in.

Kudos to him for openly showing his emotion.. I think this US team has a lot to build on from some fo the camaraderie built this week.
Good on ya Dan!

I feel so bad for the guy becuase it wasn't just his fault that they lost. He just had the unfortunate position of being the anchor so in the end the pressure was all on him. I am glad that the team stood up for him and hopefully they keep letting him know it's not all his fault because I he looked really sad during the conference.

I also found it amusing that Furyk basically told the media a big FU for thinking they don't have team spirit.

I feel so bad for the guy becuase it wasn't just his fault that they lost. He just had the unfortunate position of being the anchor so in the end the pressure was all on him. I am glad that the team stood up for him and hopefully they keep letting him know it's not all his fault because I he looked really sad during the conference.

I also found it amusing that Furyk basically told the media a big FU for thinking they don't have team spirit.

No question about it, however, they did acknowledge that he asked for the anchor position, and with that obviously comes some of the backlash. Not that I would agree for anyone putting the blame on him. He lost, but then again, so did a number of guys on the first day, and every day for that matter... It's a big tournament, and it takes a team effort to win or lose.

I liked the way the US banded together in the new conference. They had each others backs, and you can tell they are all prepared to do what it takes to win the next one if they get the opportunity.

No question about it, however, they did acknowledge that he asked for the anchor position, and with that obviously comes some of the backlash. Not that I would agree for anyone putting the blame on him. He lost, but then again, so did a number of guys on the first day, and every day for that matter... It's a big tournament, and it takes a team effort to win or lose.

I liked the way the US banded together in the new conference. They had each others backs, and you can tell they are all prepared to do what it takes to win the next one if they get the opportunity.

I totally agree. I am not a betting woman but something tells me if Mahan gets into the Ryder Cup again in 2012 he will not be taking the anchor position on the final day.

I totally agree. I am not a betting woman but something tells me if Mahan gets into the Ryder Cup again in 2012 he will not be taking the anchor position on the final day.

I love that he asked to be in the anchor position. I wish he had been able to win that match. When I saw he was in the anchor match I thought it was great. He can't be blamed for the US losing.

I love that he asked to be in the anchor position. I wish he had been able to win that match. When I saw he was in the anchor match I thought it was great. He can't be blamed for the US losing.

No, he definitely cannot. Furyk said it best, the US lost yesterday during the 3rd match.

I was impressed by the unity shown by the US team this weekend. That seemed a big step in the right direction. If it weren't for the Euros coming out and doing what they did in the 3rd session, you guys may have been looking at a lead into the singles. Anyone who says those guys weren't pulling for each other wasn't looking closely enough. This may be in part down to being the underdogs coming into it. The Euros were definitely feeling a bit of their own hype weighing on them during session 1 and 2.

The last point will always be the focus, but I don't think Hunter will be seeing much bad press over it. Now, maybe that one point means that a certain member on here gets a Euro avatar......but thats a whole other story!! :D

I was impressed by the unity shown by the US team this weekend. That seemed a big step in the right direction. If it weren't for the Euros coming out and doing what they did in the 3rd session, you guys may have been looking at a lead into the singles. Anyone who says those guys weren't pulling for each other wasn't looking closely enough. This may be in part down to being the underdogs coming into it. The Euros were definitely feeling a bit of their own hype weighing on them during session 1 and 2.

The last point will always be the focus, but I don't think Hunter will be seeing much bad press over it. Now, maybe that one point means that a certain member on here gets a Euro avatar......but thats a whole other story!! :D

you pick out the pic and i'll put it up buddy! i wish you were around a bit more over the weekend. it ended up being one of the best Ryder Cups i can remember.

and for those of you that don't know, i made a bet with paulo. if the US won, i get to choose his avatar for 90 days, and if the Euros won, he gets mine. looks like i'm in for a treat! just let me know when you find a pic and i'll make it happen (just pm the pic to me paulo)

At least we didn't have to see Ian Woosnam with snot and booze shooting out his nose after this Euro win. All in all I think Monty was a good captain for them, except when he was spotted running by the tv camera today. Could have gone without seeing that, but still at least it wasn't a Woosie!

and Im surprised people are starting to dislike poulter over this cup. He is passionate. I dont see a different from what he did here, than what hunter did at valhalla. Both men played well at their venues and both got the crowd ramped up. Too bad Hunter didnt show up like he did at Valhalla, but thats golf.

I find it interesting the way he comes accross, over here the media treats him as a bit of a poster boy and a hero. I'm assuming (from reading posts on here) that the US media portrays him as arrogant and rude.

Personally I'm a massive fan, I like most of the outfits he wears on tour and love his mental approach he shows in the RC. Just full of grit/determination/passion.

I find it interesting the way he comes accross, over here the media treats him as a bit of a poster boy and a hero. I'm assuming (from reading posts on here) that the US media portrays him as arrogant and rude.

Personally I'm a massive fan, I like most of the outfits he wears on tour and love his mental approach he shows in the RC. Just full of grit/determination/passion.

I dont think the media portrays him that way at all over here. Not that I have seen anyway. Nobody was a bigger IJP fan than me the last 6 years ago. Had his headcover of his head on my driver, love his clothes, spent some time with him at Doral, etc...

But I think some look at him now as a little bit more self promoting. A little too self serving, etc...Like his twitter obsession and his randomness with how great he is on there. Interesting fact, when IJP started his account on twitter, it wasnt even him doing the tweeting. It was a guy from the apparel line. Then when he saw people start to follow and got interested, he took control (as he should).

I look at him the same way I look at Christina Kim (another one I was a huge fan of). Tons of charisma, great player, wonderful for the game previously, and now just a little too much self promotion for me.

I like watching Poulter when it's NOT the Ryder Cup, but the way he is so intense that when he makes a putt he stares around at the crowd like he's ready to fight someone drives me nuts. It's golf, not football, or soccer or whatever the hell those blokes wanna call it. GOLF man, you don't beat people physically in golf.

you pick out the pic and i'll put it up buddy! i wish you were around a bit more over the weekend. it ended up being one of the best Ryder Cups i can remember.

and for those of you that don't know, i made a bet with paulo. if the US won, i get to choose his avatar for 90 days, and if the Euros won, he gets mine. looks like i'm in for a treat! just let me know when you find a pic and i'll make it happen (just pm the pic to me paulo)

Yeah, I'm gutted that I couldn't get on here to whip up some more banter! It was a cracking RC, and I thought the rain delays might have cost it a lot of drama, but the last day made up for that.

Now, do I just pick out any old pic....or start a poll....and don't think you're getting away with a pic of slim boy Westy! :wink:

Yeah, I'm gutted that I couldn't get on here to whip up some more banter! It was a cracking RC, and I thought the rain delays might have cost it a lot of drama, but the last day made up for that.

Now, do I just pick out any old pic....or start a poll....and don't think you're getting away with a pic of slim boy Westy! :wink:

you can do whatever you want to buddy, it's yours for the taking!

hopefully you have a pic of montguntery's tits! that would be fun for a while. wait, doesn't every scot keep a pic of his tits in their wallet?

you can do whatever you want to buddy, it's yours for the taking!

hopefully you have a pic of montguntery's tits! that would be fun for a while. wait, doesn't every scot keep a pic of his tits in their wallet?

You got it....it's on our 5 pound note. That's part of the reason us Scots get a reputation for being tight with money, we don't wanna see that either!

I've not seen many pics of him where they're not on show, tbf.

You got it....it's on our 5 pound note. That's part of the reason us Scots get a reputation for being tight with money, we don't wanna see that either!

I've not seen many pics of him where they're not on show, tbf.

lmao paulo! that was classic. well, just pm me with the pic you want and i'll make the changes. you also get control of the header above the avatar so let me know what you want it to say as well.

lmao paulo! that was classic. well, just pm me with the pic you want and i'll make the changes. you also get control of the header above the avatar so let me know what you want it to say as well.

Oh now I'm quite excited. Even though the current one ain't too bad! :wink:

Oh now I'm quite excited. Even though the current one ain't too bad! :wink:

i was preparing with that one, i knew we weren't going to win.

i was preparing with that one, i knew we weren't going to win.

It was darn close though, much closer than I thought it would have been after a couple of holes of the singles.

I hear now even Rory thinks its the "best exhibition match ever" :D

Back