Official Ryder Cup Thread [Spoilers]

commiserations lads, was a fantastic tournament.
well played to the USA players, and Hunter deserves zero flack.. Every player carried equal points value, and the pressure was immense.

looking forward to the next event in Chicago :)

Bubba Watson losing to an antique who's NEVER WON A SINGLES MATCH was the deciding factor. There's no excuse for that.

Oh and how about the half point lost due to Rickie's dropping the wrong ball the other day? That alone would have allowed the US to retain the cup.

Had a lecture this am and it looks like I missed one hell of a golfing spectacle. Congrats Europe for the win and great job USA with all the comebacks down the pike. I can't wait to get home to my DVR and relive the event (with slightly less anticipation, already knowing the outcome)

So how many people went into this week being IJP fans (or at least neutral) and have come out of it hating the man?

I'm 1 for sure...

Bubba Watson losing to an antique who's NEVER WON A SINGLES MATCH was the deciding factor. There's no excuse for that.

Oh and how about the half point lost due to Rickie's dropping the wrong ball the other day? That alone would have allowed the US to retain the cup.

:D Sure you'd have managed 4 or 5 under to beat Jiminez easily! The guy's in the form of his life, so that's a bit harsh.

It's easy to look back at individual mistakes, but yesterday is what cost you guys the cup. From the top to the bottom of the draw.

You can't really insure that they would have won that half point where Rickie dropped the wrong ball and he played incredible golf today. The Molinari brothers pulling out the half point at the end of their match on Sunday was much more of a blow. Cink had more opportunity to win the half point than either Rickie or Hunter ever did. If you are watching the golf channel the US team is being interviewed. Hunter is crushed and can not even talk.He is in tears on the stage and he does not deserve to be in the position he is in. As good as I feel for Rickie I feel terrible for Hunter, just terrible.

You can't really insure that they would have won that half point where Rickie dropped the wrong ball and he played incredible golf today. The Molinari brothers pulling out the half point at the end of their match on Sunday was much more of a blow. Cink had more opportunity to win the half point than either Rickie or Hunter ever did. If you are watching the golf channel the US team is being interviewed. Hunter is crushed and can not even talk.He is in tears on the stage and he does not deserve to be in the position he is in. As good as I feel for Rickie I feel terrible for Hunter, just terrible.

While it is an awful situation for Hunter, there is a LOT of good coming from this. His reaction right now shows that the USA players really do care about this event and that in 2012 you can bet Hunter will be 100% invested. He could very well be our IJP next time around. Add back in AK who LOVES the Ryder Cup and you start to see a team that cares as much about this competition as the Euro's do!

Anyone who's hammering on Hunter Mahan BECAUSE HE SMILED after flubbing that chip shot is being ridiculous. He was absolutely humiliated and was probably just in a complete state of shock. What do you think he thought it was funny? He's a human and he was under a huge amount of pressure, he choked and probably would have rather crawled in hole and died the second he did that.

All in all it was a great contest, congrats to the European team on a gritty win. The course was great but the weather just plain sucked and that to me took a lot out of the whole experience. I don't think anyone can hammer on any one single member from either team, all in all it was a great Ryder Cup.

I don't know if anyone else is watching the US team's press conference live on Golf Channel right now, but Hunter Mahan is having a REALLY hard time. Twice, he's been asked questions and not been able to respond without looking like he's going to cry on the stage, and Phil Mickelson (seated next to him) has stepped in and spoken for him. The entire team has Hunter's back, and Stewart Cink in particular spoke up for Hunter saying that he did a big job by accepting the placement in the final match since the entire cup came down to it. Looking at this, you can't say that this doesn't mean a lot to these guys, they are really down right now.

Good on Phil and Stew for bailing Hunter out. I hope the rest of the team does.

From now on, all flubbed chips shall be known as a Mahan.

I disagree with the rest of your post, but THAT is funny. I may just use it.

I find that I smile at myself in the same manner at least 5-10 times per round. My only other choices would be to cry, throw my club, or scream bloody murder. The result would be, I'd be soaked with tears, have zero clubs at the end of each round, or be hoarse. I would rather see a person smile in defeat than have a hissy fit.

Sorry, double post

Last edited:
I think you see why other golfers like to be around Phil and Stewart Cink. As much as I get on Phil, he is a classy guy. He's usually great with the media. I think there is a reason Cink has been picked so many times for the Ryder Cup, seems to be a good team guy. I don't think they will let Mahan feel as if he let the team down.

I hope Mahan can snatch a major next year

I know you can't assume they would have won, just thought it was interesting how many random places a half point could have come from, including a brain cramp.

:D Sure you'd have managed 4 or 5 under to beat Jiminez easily! The guy's in the form of his life, so that's a bit harsh.

It's easy to look back at individual mistakes, but yesterday is what cost you guys the cup. From the top to the bottom of the draw.

No, I wouldn't have, but I'm not Bubba and he had an incredible length advantage and Jimenez isn't anything special. If Bubba halves or loses on the 18th, I'd agree with you, but he got thrashed and that's ridiculous.

Bubba is a Ryder Cup rookie, a guy who other than this year, has never been great in the big spot. I did not think this match would be a lock. Jimenez hits some real nice shots today, and putted nicely as well. After they were all square walking to the 8th tee, he had 4 birdies, including 3 in 4 holes.

The US had their chances over the weekend. They let some crucial points get away from them.

Bubba didnt even play that bad. Jiminez played well. Fairways and greens, cant argue against that. And people getting mad about him getting beat by a 46 year old? The man hits the ball on the greens and makes putts.

and Im surprised people are starting to dislike poulter over this cup. He is passionate. I dont see a different from what he did here, than what hunter did at valhalla. Both men played well at their venues and both got the crowd ramped up. Too bad Hunter didnt show up like he did at Valhalla, but thats golf.

and Im surprised people are starting to dislike poulter over this cup. He is passionate. I dont see a different from what he did here, than what hunter did at valhalla. Both men played well at their venues and both got the crowd ramped up.

same here, kinda silly really

The issue for the US is that the closeness of the US team seen in that press room has not translated often enough into points in the sessions leading up to the Singles. There are fully 16 points available before you ever get to the singles where there are only 12 points available. Historically now over what I think is the last 8 RC’s, of which we have lost 6, we lose 65% of those points. We have to figure that one out. Team leadership has to figure it out and find a way to get more points in the bank before we get to the Singles. We owe it to the guys sitting at that podium. We owe it to guys like Hunter that play their hearts out, representing us in a format that in many ways turns out to be a stacked deck the other way. Europeans care more about the RC. They have made a determined effort to find a formula that is a winning formula and very rarely now do we make an effort that comes up to a high enough standard to meet that challenge.

All the stuff about the raingear aside though it is indicative of a lack of attention to detail, the only real complaint I have with Captain Pavin is that he is clearly from the school of “put it in the hands of the players and they will get it done”. Those players who I know will all likely rally to Pavin’s defense deserve better than that. Sure they care for each other and the captain clearly has something to do with that, but watching them stumble through the first four sessions was painful to watch. Sure they won 6 of the first 10 points but never looked cohesive doing it and then as we know, they just got steamrolled.

I do think what we saw from Phil today both on the course and in that press room is very encouraging. If anything what happened in this RC may be the thing that insures that it does not happen this way ever again, win or lose.

I think what we learned today is that Phil is most likely uncomfortable in team format, and plays much better without a partner. All of the pressure is from him. He doesnt need to bail anyone out but himself.

He is not a good team player(I dont mean his attitude because he is clearly a great guy.)

I think what we learned today is that Phil is most likely uncomfortable in team format, and plays much better without a partner. All of the pressure is from him. He doesnt need to bail anyone out but himself.

He is not a good team player(I dont mean his attitude because he is clearly a great guy.)

I think we learned that from quite a few players on this team. But I suspect some will look at it differently.

I just don't like him most of the time anyway. Even before the cup. He can be fun to follow on twitter. I don't find it odd at all. Reason being is this is a huge sporting event, big time rivalry. In most rivalrys you can expect dislike for certain teams/players to rise.
Bubba didnt even play that bad. Jiminez played well. Fairways and greens, cant argue against that. And people getting mad about him getting beat by a 46 year old? The man hits the ball on the greens and makes putts.

and Im surprised people are starting to dislike poulter over this cup. He is passionate. I dont see a different from what he did here, than what hunter did at valhalla. Both men played well at their venues and both got the crowd ramped up. Too bad Hunter didnt show up like he did at Valhalla, but thats golf.

Does anyone know where I can watch the press conference with the Americans? I saw the one with the Euros but I missed the one with the American's and I have been looking all over the web but I can't find it.

The issue for the US is that the closeness of the US team seen in that press room has not translated often enough into points in the sessions leading up to the Singles. There are fully 16 points available before you ever get to the singles where there are only 12 points available. Historically now over what I think is the last 8 RC’s, of which we have lost 6, we lose 65% of those points. We have to figure that one out. Team leadership has to figure it out and find a way to get more points in the bank before we get to the Singles. We owe it to the guys sitting at that podium. We owe it to guys like Hunter that play their hearts out, representing us in a format that in many ways turns out to be a stacked deck the other way. Europeans care more about the RC. They have made a determined effort to find a formula that is a winning formula and very rarely now do we make an effort that comes up to a high enough standard to meet that challenge.

All the stuff about the raingear aside though it is indicative of a lack of attention to detail, the only real complaint I have with Captain Pavin is that he is clearly from the school of “put it in the hands of the players and they will get it done”. Those players who I know will all likely rally to Pavin’s defense deserve better than that. Sure they care for each other and the captain clearly has something to do with that, but watching them stumble through the first four sessions was painful to watch. Sure they won 6 of the first 10 points but never looked cohesive doing it and then as we know, they just got steamrolled.

I do think what we saw from Phil today both on the course and in that press room is very encouraging. If anything what happened in this RC may be the thing that insures that it does not happen this way ever again, win or lose.

I really agree with you here. As I was watching today's coverage I was thinking about the team matches problem the US clearly has and trying to figure out what if anything could be done. This is whacky, but could there be a 2man-team tour event each year so that it's a more regular thing for them? would this even make a difference since they already have the RC and President's cup? I don't know, but the stats don't lie. They go into the RC trailing by two points (9-7 after team play) and that's a recipe for losing more often than not which is exactly what's been happening.

I thought they played well as a team during the first 2 sessions. Europe was lights out in Session 3.

Back