Official Rant of the Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Golf courses managers, who let one guy answer phones, and take money for green fee. Plus who must answer the phones with out delay, not putting any caller on hold, regardless of how many people are waiting to pay their fees. This even though there are two cash registers, and 3 other people just sitting in an office not doing any thing. One was the course marshal, the other the asst. manger, and the third was the resident pro/instructor. We even motioned for them to come out to help the elderly counter dude to no avail. Does not look good for a golf course operated by the Billy Casper Group.

It took me 25 minutes to purchase a $6 range card today, and I was the third guy in line.....:banghead:

All the more reason to put paddling back in schools. I'll mess with my wife and use these "phrases" but it's just to get a laugh. I'll use some of them also when I'm using instant message or something like that but I'd never use those in a serious or semi serious e-mail to my boss.

My company maintains a published online resource that lists the most-used acronyms we use. It's a few pages long, but only covers about 50% of what I hear or read.

IDK if I would spank a kid for using acronyms. Each generation has had its own language to keep adults at bay and assert their own uniqueness on their world. Actually, I like text in a lot of ways. I find it funny to go out to dinner and see the couple at the next table texting while facing each other. I always wonder if they are texting back and forth instead of just having a conversation.

As to company or industry acronyms, I tell my people all the time not to use terms that are industry specific when talking to clients. You must be clear with them so they understand and using industry terms the customer is not familiar with can leave them confused. I see it all the time. It is a key error salespeople make.

Actually, I wish I knew texting shorthand a bit better so I could communicate with younger people via their favored method. If I continue to work, I will need these skills to "speak their language".

As to company or industry acronyms, I tell my people all the time not to use terms that are industry specific when talking to clients. You must be clear with them so they understand and using industry terms the customer is not familiar with can leave them confused. I see it all the time. It is a key error salespeople make.

Probably more common among salespeople to customers than support folks to customers. Good support folks know how to tailor their conversation to their audience.

Actually, I wish I knew texting shorthand a bit better so I could communicate with younger people via their favored method. If I continue to work, I will need these skills to "speak their language".

I'm becoming adept at using the texting shorthand and can converse with my kids with the best of them. My wife however, has been slow to adapt. When she and I exchange text messages (no, not at dinner!), I'm careful to spell out each word and not use any shorthand or acronyms.

Can't say I want a teacher paddling my kid for any reason.

Kevin

Can't say I want a teacher paddling my kid for any reason.

Kevin

Couldn't agree more. Teacher shouldn't have to do it, parents should take care of it. Just my honest opinion.

In some ways, speaking in IM isn't much different than the way most people speak about the industries they work in. I can't tell you how many acronyms I have to google when a client uses them because I think it's something I should know so I hesitate to ask.

I still remember when Rolaids was running their "how do YOU spell relief?" commercials. Kids all over the country just happened to have relief as a spelling word & spelling it R-O-L-A-I-D-S.

My rant: the old one about talking on a cell phone while driving. Happened right outside an elementary school here this afternoon, luckily before school ended. Some driver was doing just that and drove through a stop sign. Driver on the main road, going too fast (another rant) hit him and flipped. Thank goodness no one died.

My wife's co-worker is committing tax fraud, and it's bugging the heck out of me. It's not something like hiding tens of thousands of dollars, but her husband has been lying to collect unemployment when he's a full time student and laid off over 18 months ago, they're deducting child care expenses for much more than they pay, and she's witholding maximum deductions even though they clearly dont have that many deductions. And they live outside their means...

I know I shouldnt put my nose in other peoples business, but this was all shared by her to my wife. People that are that blatently dishonest and brag about it bug the heck out of me... but tax season will catch up to them!

Jeez! At least get a hands free device so you can look around you. I am amazed at the number of cell phones stuck in people's ears when I head home every afternoon. I would guess 50% of the cars have a driver talking on a cell.

My wife's co-worker is committing tax fraud, and it's bugging the heck out of me. It's not something like hiding tens of thousands of dollars, but her husband has been lying to collect unemployment when he's a full time student and laid off over 18 months ago, they're deducting child care expenses for much more than they pay, and she's witholding maximum deductions even though they clearly dont have that many deductions. And they live outside their means...

I know I shouldnt put my nose in other peoples business, but this was all shared by her to my wife. People that are that blatently dishonest and brag about it bug the heck out of me... but tax season will catch up to them!

I firmly believe that what goes around comes around. Don't let others dishonesty get to you. It's not worth your time or energy.

When people's cell phones go off, instead of looking at your phone to debate whether or not you want to answer the phone, instead of letting it still ringing annoyingly, why don't people just silence the ringer or choose to either accept or reject the call instead of just STARING RIGHT AT THE THING?!?!?!?

When people's cell phones go off, instead of looking at your phone to debate whether or not you want to answer the phone, instead of letting it still ringing annoyingly, why don't people just silence the ringer or choose to either accept or reject the call instead of just STARING RIGHT AT THE THING?!?!?!?
some of us just aren't that good at figuring out how to do those things

SORRY

some of us just aren't that good at figuring out how to do those things

SORRY

But 4 times?!!? It was this morning on my vanpool. Someone's phone went off 4 times and all times he was just staring at it like it would magically stop ringing haa haa :laughing:

Just so everyone knows I was joking about paddling a kid for using text "slang". Seesh. :bulgy-eyes:

Looks like I have some catching up to do. Went to the Doc this AM and he put my butt in the hospital, lol. I've been feeling poorly for some time and our thermometer said it was a very low grade fever, wrong! Must be off because it was over 103 and he thought as dehydrated as I was it was high for some time. They have me all wired up pumping antibiotics and fluids in.

Sounds like I have Diverticulitis. I just thought I had kidney stones again, lol. Let it go a bit too long. Doc say's I should be out in a couple days.

Take it easy, due! Get well soon.

Thanks C-tech. I don't know what this Diver.. stuff is, but so far sucks, lol. At least I have a couple nice looking nurses :clapp:

Looks like I have some catching up to do. Went to the Doc this AM and he put my butt in the hospital, lol. I've been feeling poorly for some time and our thermometer said it was a very low grade fever, wrong! Must be off because it was over 103 and he thought as dehydrated as I was it was high for some time. They have me all wired up pumping antibiotics and fluids in.

Sounds like I have Diverticulitis. I just thought I had kidney stones again, lol. Let it go a bit too long. Doc say's I should be out in a couple days.

that's a serious fracking rant. good luck!

kind of makes my little rant about not having enough oreos seem pretty insignificant.

Thanks C-tech. I don't know what this Diver.. stuff is, but so far sucks, lol. At least I have a couple nice looking nurses :clapp:

IIRC, it's a separation of the intestinal wall. Extremely painful and not an easy recovery. Fro awhile, that's what Paula Creamer's doctors thought she had.

Wow, sounds kind of ugly Harry, lol. Maybe Snickers can find enough oreo's to send me, lol. That explains why they have me on a clear liquid diet, yuk.

Thanks MO. I've been through brain surgery, one stroke and several broken bones, they should be able to fix me up again, lol

Feel_better_soon.jpg

Wow, sounds kind of ugly Harry, lol. Maybe Snickers can find enough oreo's to send me, lol. That explains why they have me on a clear liquid diet, yuk.

Thanks MO. I've been through brain surgery, one stroke and several broken bones, they should be able to fix me up again, lol

shoot me your address and i'll send you a care package. after all that....OMG....you deserve double stuffed.

Lol, Thanks GC.

shoot me your address and i'll send you a care package. after all that....OMG....you deserve double stuffed.

Thats awful nice of you Snicker, but actually I have no sweet tooth at all. I know it's wierd, but thats me. Plus, no idea when they will let me eat right again. The nurse said the doc would be changing my diet for good?

Thats awful nice of you Snicker, but actually I have no sweet tooth at all. I know it's wierd, but thats me. Plus, no idea when they will let me eat right again. The nurse said the doc would be changing my diet for good?

ok then. i'll eat all the oreos in your honor. good luck with the new diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back