Official Rant of the Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a monsoon going on today. Naturally, I got a call from the school nurse to tell me The Kid is under the weather and I have to come get him. Even with a raincoat and an umbrella, I'm soaking from the knees on down.

Half of the town lost power including my office. I'm working from home now, but don't have access to any files. :banghead:

I am facing some bad weather as well. I couldn't go to school today, picture a blizzard and a tornado going on at the same time, that is what we have right now. Walking out the door the snow is up to our calves and wind is blowing at upwards of 70 KM/H.

Crazy wind here too Dent - especially near the water. Trees are down everywhere.

I am facing some bad weather as well. I couldn't go to school today, picture a blizzard and a tornado going on at the same time, that is what we have right now. Walking out the door the snow is up to our calves and wind is blowing at upwards of 70 KM/H.

Crazy wind here too Dent - especially near the water. Trees are down everywhere.

Everyone keep your heads down. We had crazy winds here last week. One of my customers lost power poles on the mine site and lost the roof off part of the admin building.

I just got my registration renewal from the DMV for my car and its almost as much as a car payment. That's crazy!!

I just got my registration renewal from the DMV for my car and its almost as much as a car payment. That's crazy!!

In Arizona, it appears that the older your car is, the higher the registration. What is up with that? I almost fainted when I registered my first car here.

Cox had my internetz down to a crawl for most of the evening. I called and spent a few minutes answering questions with this nice electronic lady they have on duty 24/7. After I finally got through her inquisition, I was informed that they had a system outage in my area and were working like the oarsmen on a slave ship to fix my problem. Still took a few hours before they solved it.

I can't sleep. Either my body won't relax or my brain starts in like a gerbil on the wheel. Or both. This happens occasionally, but it's been going on for about a week now. I have nothing but meetings scheduled today, and I hope I don't yawn my way through them all.

I can't sleep. Either my body won't relax or my brain starts in like a gerbil on the wheel. Or both. This happens occasionally, but it's been going on for about a week now. I have nothing but meetings scheduled today, and I hope I don't yawn my way through them all.

I'm sorry Claire - that is not fun. I know you already drink a lot of coffee, but don't drink more today or you won't sleep again tonight.

I hate it when that happens. I get hyped up before big golf events, toss all night and end up practically falling over on the course. What's stupid is I have had to speak in front of 5000 people and I slept like a baby the night before. Weird.

I was up with you Claire... ur, not really with you. Sorry to hear you didn't sleep either. Sneaky feeling I am having another bout with kidney stones, yuk! I tossed and turned until about 3 AM when I realized Liz wasn't snoring, lol, so got up as not to keep her awake. I hope to heck thats not it, last time sucked.

I didnt get to sleep until 3:30 last night either. I had a hockey game that ended at 11 and I was a ball of energy after, plus Lulu wanted to play once I got home. Would I look like a weirdo walking the dog at 2 in the morning?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

I didnt get to sleep until 3:30 last night either. I had a hockey game that ended at 11 and I was a ball of energy after, plus Lulu wanted to play once I got home. Would I look like a weirdo walking the dog at 2 in the morning?

Nah. Just make sure you wear your reflective vest and tin foil hat so you can be seen.

I Would I look like a weirdo walking the dog at 2 in the morning?

If you look like a weirdo at 2 in the afternoon, then yes, you would look like a weirdo at 2 in the morning.

Dont worry Bogey and Diane, I wear a tin foil helmet at all times during the day. It helps protect from the brain scans the military performs at various times.

Dont worry Bogey and Diane, I wear a tin foil helmet at all times during the day. It helps protect from the brain scans the military performs at various times.

You mean you're the guy I see walking when I drive to work every morning? When did you move to CT?

I have a rant.

Dont "text talk", it makes you sound ignorant.

I teach, and, the trend now is to talk in text and write actual assignments in text. For instance, I've had kids in the middle of a conversation use "OMG, LOL!", crap drives me insane. Youth is getting scary, so much that my kids will be going to private school despite the fact I will likely still be coaching teaching in a public school. I know its getting like this all over, but, dang its scary when you're seeing it first hand.

And parents, don't just try to be best friends to your kids, they don't need that, they need parents.

[/end Really Big Rant]

Sorry, but dang.

I have a rant.

I teach, and, the trend now is to talk in text and write actual assignments in text. For instance, I've had kids in the middle of a conversation use "OMG, LOL!", crap drives me insane. Youth is getting scary, so much that my kids will be going to private school despite the fact I will likely still be coaching teaching in a public school. I know its getting like this all over, but, dang its scary when you're seeing it first hand.

And parents, don't just try to be best friends to your kids, they don't need that, they need parents.

[/end Really Big Rant]

Sorry, but dang.

I haven't heard this from my kids, nor their friends, but then again I'm not among them day-to-day like a teacher would.

Do you really think that this is a public school issue and that putting your kids in private school will stem the problem?

Oh, and I agree with you that children need their parents to be parents, not their best friends. :thumb:

I have a rant.

[/end Really Big Rant]

Sorry, but dang.

My wife works with a 31 year old women that does this. She's trying to be her 13 year old step daughters best friend so she has to fit in. I'll agree it sounds really stupid when people do this. But you have to admit the cell phone company commercial with the old lady that says "IDK my BFF Jill" is so funny. :laughing:

I haven't heard this from my kids, nor their friends, but then again I'm not among them day-to-day like a teacher would.

Do you really think that this is a public school issue and that putting your kids in private school will stem the problem?

Oh, and I agree with you that children need their parents to be parents, not their best friends. :thumb:

Maybe, maybe not. With the wife going to med school I'll be able to afford a private school so it is an option. If not private, definitely small town, not a city.

I talk big, but, its all about how they're raised at home and not public/private haha. If I'd have acted like they do my mom would've beat me, and, I would have deserved it. Parents will actually call with the argument that "its just a kid thing" and "I don't see why its a big deal" but my faovrite is "you ask alot out of them, its hard", scary.

My wife works with a 31 year old women that does this. She's trying to be her 13 year old step daughters best friend so she has to fit in. I'll agree it sounds really stupid when people do this. But you have to admit the cell phone company commercial with the old lady that says "IDK my BFF Jill" is so funny. :laughing:

THAT was the other one I get all the time, IDK. I've had more papers written with that in them as well. Crazy.

In some ways, speaking in IM isn't much different than the way most people speak about the industries they work in. I can't tell you how many acronyms I have to google when a client uses them because I think it's something I should know so I hesitate to ask.

Maybe, maybe not. With the wife going to med school I'll be able to afford a private school so it is an option. If not private, definitely small town, not a city.

I talk big, but, its all about how they're raised at home and not public/private haha. If I'd have acted like they do my mom would've beat me, and, I would have deserved it. Parents will actually call with the argument that "its just a kid thing" and "I don't see why its a big deal" but my faovrite is "you ask alot out of them, its hard", scary.

THAT was the other one I get all the time, IDK. I've had more papers written with that in them as well. Crazy.

All the more reason to put paddling back in schools. I'll mess with my wife and use these "phrases" but it's just to get a laugh. I'll use some of them also when I'm using instant message or something like that but I'd never use those in a serious or semi serious e-mail to my boss.

In some ways, speaking in IM isn't much different than the way most people speak about the industries they work in. I can't tell you how many acronyms I have to google when a client uses them because I think it's something I should know so I hesitate to ask.

My company maintains a published online resource that lists the most-used acronyms we use. It's a few pages long, but only covers about 50% of what I hear or read.

All the more reason to put paddling back in schools.

You'd advocate paddling for students that say "BFF" or "IDK"? Wow, that's a bit strict...:bulgy-eyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back