Official MLB Baseball Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a ranger fan I'm sad, as a yankee hater I'm thrilled! And as a fan of baseball, I couldn't be happier to see a guy not care about a few mill to go play Exactly where he wants to play. That is how all free agents should look at the market; where do I want to play? Not who will give me the biggest pay check.

This reminds me of that mid 90s Braves rotation of Maddux, Smoltz, Glavine and Neagle but way better. Thats going to be a tough rotation come playoff time.
I bet Blanton for Cameron is the next move.

don't forget Steve Avery in the early 90's.

And Kevin Millwood at the end of the run. Although at that point was Smoltz the closer?

hard to believe they only won 1 WS with all that pitching

that's why I think the Braves and Booby Cox were overrated just a bit.
hard to believe they only won 1 WS with all that pitching

As a ranger fan I'm sad, as a yankee hater I'm thrilled! And as a fan of baseball, I couldn't be happier to see a guy not care about a few mill to go play Exactly where he wants to play. That is how all free agents should look at the market; where do I want to play? Not who will give me the biggest pay check.

huge yankees fan and i'm really dissapointed that we didn't get Lee. However I do have to agree that its nice to see a player go to a place he feels comfortable and thinks he can contend.

Of course this didn't stop me from cursing out my TV when I saw the news. No Lee, no Crawford and theres no way that Greinke comes to NY with his anxiety issues. Yankees got burened on the hot stove this year.

huge yankees fan and i'm really dissapointed that we didn't get Lee. However I do have to agree that its nice to see a player go to a place he feels comfortable and thinks he can contend.

Of course this didn't stop me from cursing out my TV when I saw the news. No Lee, no Crawford and theres no way that Greinke comes to NY with his anxiety issues. Yankees got burened on the hot stove this year.

I don't think they needed those players though. Would have been nice to have them, but it wasn't a dire need.

I don't think they needed those players though. Would have been nice to have them, but it wasn't a dire need.

i'll agree that they didnt need crawford, but they could definitely use another consistent starting pitcher. They have too many question marks right now behind CC. Petite might not return, Burnette is a head case (although he could have a 2009 type season again you never know), and hughes' win count was exaggerated with the outlandish run support he got.

i'll agree that they didnt need crawford, but they could definitely use another consistent starting pitcher. They have too many question marks right now behind CC. Petite might not return, Burnette is a head case (although he could have a 2009 type season again you never know), and hughes' win count was exaggerated with the outlandish run support he got.

true. That was Hughes first full year as a starter, I think he will be fine. I hope Pettite is back. Burnett could bounce back. This could be good for the Yanks. Nova may get a full time shot, It'd be nice to see them develop a few pitchers. They added Martin today, I like that move.

that's why I think the Braves and Booby Cox were overrated just a bit.

I just hated having to hear that stupid chant come October every year.

Im sad, Rangers could have had Lee if they would have offered 7 years. But they said no to Lee's 7 year deal. Rangers offered 6-138mill, but he wanted 7th year. O well.

According to a source, the Rangers' highest offer was six years at $138 million, with some of that money deferred and a vesting option for a seventh year at $23 million.

The Yankees presented two offers to Lee -- one for six years at $23 million a year and one for seven years at a little over $21 million a year, sources told ESPNNewYork.com.

Lee ultimately agreed to a five-year, guaranteed $120 million contract with the Phillies, sources told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick. The deal includes a $27.5 million option in the sixth year based on performance.

According to a source, the Rangers' highest offer was six years at $138 million, with some of that money deferred and a vesting option for a seventh year at $23 million.

The Yankees presented two offers to Lee -- one for six years at $23 million a year and one for seven years at a little over $21 million a year, sources told ESPNNewYork.com.

Lee ultimately agreed to a five-year, guaranteed $120 million contract with the Phillies, sources told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick. The deal includes a $27.5 million option in the sixth year based on performance.

Do you think the National League had any effect on his decision? Esp if that option is performance based?

I couldn't agree more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think so. Plus his hawt wife really liked it here too. I'm sure that option will be picked up no matter what which is really his 6th year of the deal then. He turned down 7 years from the Yanks because he didn't want to go to NY, the Rangers wouldn't go 7 so the Phils' 6 year deal was chosen over the Rangers' 6 deal because of the better chance to win.

Do you think the National League had any effect on his decision? Esp if that option is performance based?

Just heard Phillies violated MLB rules and will not be able to sign Lee this year. THATS CRAZY!!!

Spoiler
Yes this is real, I will see if I can find more info
Spoiler
haha just kidding

I think so. Plus his hawt wife really liked it here too.

Is this his wife?
Spoiler
cliff%20lees%20wife.jpg

Last edited:
Im really bummed about Russel Martin signing with the Yankees. I realize his offensive production was down even before his injury but he sure could handle a staff. You Yankee fans will love him.

Im really bummed about Russel Martin signing with the Yankees. I realize his offensive production was down even before his injury but he sure could handle a staff. You Yankee fans will love him.

I really like that move. Posadas defensive skills have deteriorated.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Now that the Red Sox have agreed to sign Bobby Jenks, their payroll is higher than the Yankees'. Found that funny from MLBtraderumors.com

Cubs sign Kerry Wood -- Good clubhouse guy and may have 1 more year in him. I am just OK with this signing. They really need a left hander that can actually get lefties out.

Lee signing with the Phils - How many of these long term high dollar signings of pitchers have ever really worked out? It is a low percentage play. I'm glad the Phils got him instead of the Yanks and it really makes them the favs to win it all.

I believe the Braves 4 starters back in 97 were/are better than the Phillies 2011 starters. Glavine, Maddux, Smoltz, and Millwood. Maddux and Halladay may be a wash if he can last a lot more years. Smoltz will go down as one of the most underrated great pitchers of our time. I think Oswalt is a good pitcher, but he has started to show his age. Cole Hamels is good, but he can't hold a candle to the 1st 3 of the Braves. Lastly, Lee's numbers need to show for more years.

How many people picked the Giants to win it all last year before the year started?

How many people picked the Giants to win it all in August? Probably not many.

I think many sports with the number of teams that make the playoffs now, cause the hottest team to be rewarded, rather than the so-called "best team".

Any thoughts?

Cubs sign Kerry Wood -- Good clubhouse guy and may have 1 more year in him. I am just OK with this signing. They really need a left hander that can actually get lefties out.

Lee signing with the Phils - How many of these long term high dollar signings of pitchers have ever really worked out? It is a low percentage play. I'm glad the Phils got him instead of the Yanks and it really makes them the favs to win it all.

I believe the Braves 4 starters back in 97 were/are better than the Phillies 2011 starters. Glavine, Maddux, Smoltz, and Millwood. Maddux and Halladay may be a wash if he can last a lot more years. Smoltz will go down as one of the most underrated great pitchers of our time. I think Oswalt is a good pitcher, but he has started to show his age. Cole Hamels is good, but he can't hold a candle to the 1st 3 of the Braves. Lastly, Lee's numbers need to show for more years.

How many people picked the Giants to win it all last year before the year started?

How many people picked the Giants to win it all in August? Probably not many.

I think many sports with the number of teams that make the playoffs now, cause the hottest team to be rewarded, rather than the so-called "best team".

Any thoughts?

The Rangers werent a hot team going into the playoffs 8-9 in last 17 games. Bullpen was struggling, hamilton was hurt but they just found a way to win, then there bats just went cold against the Giants (mostly due to the pitching staff of the Giants)

Baseball is a crazy game, any team can win on any night. Doesnt matter what team is better on paper, in baseball anything can happen and thats what I love about it.

Any thoughts?

In some sports. In the first round of the MLB playoffs you see that a little more than a team going on to win the whole thing.

NFL: heck yeah, if a team is hot going in they can be dangerous, it only takes 1 win to move on to the next game.
NHL: a hot goalie can and has definitely devliered the stanley cup to teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back