Official MLB Baseball Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
of course they did. if you can't beat em', buy em'! i freaking hate the yankees. they do this every single year. i hope he stays in TX.

no chance now

Greinke to the jays?

Phillies are actually talking to the Royals about Greinke. 3 prospects for him. If that happens they have the best rotation in baseball. Period. Best way to counteract losing Werth

yep! i mean, what's the difference between $120 million and $140 million at that point. no way you can spend it all, no way! it's greed dude! the world's full of it, and the NY Yankee organization just destroys franchises, hopes and dreams with it.

$20m is still $20m....that's enough for me lol

If he leaves Texas for anyone Im going to be a little upset. If he leaves Texas for the Yankees, Im going to be mad. lol.

these contracts are disturbing to me. 2 players worth 300 million bucks (roughly) ugh, why did I have to be so athleticaly bad

Nope, but it's not happening. He said all that for posturing purposes. Everyone knew and knows that he wanted to be a FA for once in his life and cash in. God bless him for doing that.
If Lee were to sign a big deal with the Phillies would you be mad? While he was in Philly he said he wanted to retire in a Phillies uniform, and said he enjoyed his time in Seattle too and didn't want to leave there. Would it have been different if the Mariners didn't pull out of that trade last year at the 11th hour?

As I said before I want Lee on my team, but I wouldn't mind if he stayed in Texas.

these contracts are disturbing to me. 2 players worth 300 million bucks (roughly) ugh, why did I have to be so athleticaly bad

Yeah, it all boils down to them getting these contracts and not me. Damn it. Just say no to Yankee!!!

Nope, but it's not happening. He said all that for posturing purposes. Everyone knew and knows that he wanted to be a FA for once in his life and cash in. God bless him for doing that.

exactly my point!

Yeah, it all boils down to them getting these contracts and not me. Damn it. Just say no to Yankee!!!

I agree....lets see other teams buy championships...yay!

I agree....lets see other teams buy championships...yay!

haven't the Red Sox done that? hehe

and what Championships? you mean that 1 in the last 10 seasons? Just because they spend a boatload of cash, does not mean they spend it wisely and make good decisions.

and what Championships? you mean that 1 in the last 10 seasons? Just because they spend a boatload of cash, does not mean they spend it wisely and make good decisions.

exactly, the just over pay people to choke, hehe. I am not a Yankee hater, I am just messing around.

My Cubbies signed their one player for the year. Now they will come in second to last. Anything is better than last place. hahahaha

So maybe theyre turning into the Redskins and Daniel Snyder.

Phillies are actually talking to the Royals about Greinke. 3 prospects for him. If that happens they have the best rotation in baseball. Period. Best way to counteract losing Werth

Thats awesome. 10x better than the jays getting him.

So maybe theyre turning into the Redskins and Daniel Snyder.

quite possibly. I think it's a mistake to commit 7 years to Lee. He is lucky he has had 2 great postseasons or else he would be looking at a 4-5 year deal instead of 6-7

Royals are close to signing Melky Cabrera, not a huge move, but I wish he was back on the Yankees.

I know I should not do this but I am going to ask why is no one mad at the Nationals for GROSSLY overpaying for Jason Werth? By them doing that it affected the price for marginal outfielders inthis years free agent class and the next couple as well. Why is it always the Yankees who are ruining baseball??? How about it is the agents, players and all the other greedy people who just want the dollar and forget about playing for the love of the game?

I know I should not do this but I am going to ask why is no one mad at the Nationals for GROSSLY overpaying for Jason Werth? By them doing that it affected the price for marginal outfielders inthis years free agent class and the next couple as well. Why is it always the Yankees who are ruining baseball??? How about it is the agents, players and all the other greedy people who just want the dollar and forget about playing for the love of the game?

because the National don't win. Though they are in on Lee as well. I applaud the nationals for signing him. They have a new stadium, new owners, and it looks like they are using money they get from revenue sharing and using it on the players which is what it was intended for.

I wont argue with that because I cant. The Yankees are easy targets but they also do it much much more then anyone else. Because they can. And I think thats what hurts baseball. What happened when the Rangers gave that huge contract to A-Fraud? It killed their team because they had all thier money tied up with one player. And then they couldnt sign anyone else even their own free agents to be. The Yankees on the other hand just keep signing players no matter what mistakes they make.

I wont argue with that because I cant. The Yankees are easy targets but they also do it much much more then anyone else. Because they can. And I think thats what hurts baseball. What happened when the Rangers gave that huge contract to A-Fraud? It killed their team because they had all thier money tied up with one player. And then they couldnt sign anyone else even their own free agents to be. The Yankees on the other hand just keep signing players no matter what mistakes they make.

which is why I don't think the Rangers will go that far with the Lee. Paying 23 mil a year to a guy who is going to impact 1 of every 5 games is kind of crazy if you don't think you can sign other talent, or resign your talent down the road. If you have the money to do that, lucky you. It's also why giving big money to a hitter is more acceptable.

well said! I would love to see it capped out.

you make good points rhino, and they've been answered by ddec and oem. it's b/c the yankees are relevant, they win, and b/c they do it all the time, and they usually do it with more than one player.....EVERY SINGLE YEAR. i have no problem with it, i don't watch baseball anymore due to the strike, but most people that hate on the yankees as an organization due so somewhat out of jealousy. it sucks following a team that can't load up like that. it sucks being a fan of the team who has tremendous talent, that came up through the farm system, then watching the best players get sniped by the yankees. but it is what it is. i don't have to like it. but the #1 reason i don't like the yankees......b/c of their fans. i'm not pointing out you and ddec, but it's the fans and their blind ignorance to the fact that they support an organization that imo, has ruined the "sport" in baseball. and by "sport", i mean a sporting chance, for any of those smaller organizations that just get picked apart year after year. it always happens and it always will.

i'm out.

well said! I would love to see it capped out.

the only thing with a Cap is that I would say you need a basement level. I don't think it's right for teams to have a 21 milion dollar payroll if they are receiving millions from other teams. The money from revenue sharing was meant to help teams add payroll, and some just take the money and use it on other things. I'm not sure a cap is going to happen anytime soon, the MLBPA is one strong union.

but, it would change the game...I wasnt saying it would or could happen. Something needs to change. I dont watch baseball either unless I am traveling and I get a chance to see it live.

you make good points rhino, and they've been answered by ddec and oem. it's b/c the yankees are relevant, they win, and b/c they do it all the time, and they usually do it with more than one player.....EVERY SINGLE YEAR. i have no problem with it, i don't watch baseball anymore due to the strike, but most people that hate on the yankees as an organization due so somewhat out of jealousy. it sucks following a team that can't load up like that. it sucks being a fan of the team who has tremendous talent, that came up through the farm system, then watching the best players get sniped by the yankees. but it is what it is. i don't have to like it. but the #1 reason i don't like the yankees......b/c of their fans. i'm not pointing out you and ddec, but it's the fans and their blind ignorance to the fact that they support an organization that imo, has ruined the "sport" in baseball. and by "sport", i mean a sporting chance, for any of those smaller organizations that just get picked apart year after year. it always happens and it always will.

i'm out.

I would throw the Red Sox in that same boat as the Yankees. The one thing that was good that came from revenue sharing is that you see more teams signing their players to extensions and buying out their arbitration years on than you used to in the old system. That's why you see guys like Crawford staying with the Rays for 8 years, Siezmore with the Indians, I think the Phillies did it with Howard and Utley, Greinke with the Royals, Mourneau with the Twins, Josh Johnson with the Marlins. Before some of the money was shared, those guys would be there for 3 -4 years and then their arbitration numbers would be huge and make them more available then they are now. I'm still going to say that in the last 10 seasons of baseball there have been more teams that won the WS then there are in the NFL(9 in MLB vs 7 in NFL).

It's not a perfect system, not by any means. I think the NHL has it right.

because the National don't win. Though they are in on Lee as well. I applaud the nationals for signing him. They have a new stadium, new owners, and it looks like they are using money they get from revenue sharing and using it on the players which is what it was intended for.

That is a huge statement right there. True teams like Yankees and Red Sox over spend I will give in on that one. But they also pay more in taxes to the rest of the league in a system thatwas designed to give the smaller teams a chance. Just because the other teams do not use the money given to them to go after players does not make the Yankees or Redsox bad.

Yankees suck. That is all.

i'm out.

With all due respect TC I belive you are incorrect in the statement I bolded. I do not want to hash it out here cause then it turns into a circus. Maybe at the Ibar over a couple of beers or perhaps if we get the opportunity to share a round at the outing we can talk about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back