Official College Football Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last 6 bowl games FSU has played in.

Emerald
Music City
Champs Sports
Gator
Chick-Fil-A
Champs Sports

That does not spell elite.

The general rule in coaching has always been on the road in a hostile environment you go for the win if you aren't inherently better than your opponent.

I typically will agree with that. However, They had all the momentum. There defense had just had 2 good series. There QB was on a roll. Plus, Boise State had NO confidence in their kicker. They were afraid to kick extra points. So the chances of them driving the field and kicking a field goal to win were slim. I think I would have taken the tie and put it on my defense to make another stop. Of course, hindsight is always the best way to coach a game.

This may sound silly, but I had to quit watching the Panthers game because I was afraid that their bad play would be contagious to my GA Bulldogs.

Okay, I am a pretty big FSU fan, and my family is pretty involved with the college sports there, but calling FSU elite for the last few decades is kind of crazy. They havent even been relevant for over a decade if the alternative is elite.

You seem to always try to pick apart every one of my sports posts so I have no problem with being a jerk...

I love how you quote one sentence but fail to include the one before it when I am clearly talking about FSU's defense, not the whole team. I, along with my whole family, went to Florida State and am well aware of the the story of the last decade.

Anyone that underestimates FSU's defense is crazy. They had one bad year and outside of that they have proven to be elite for the last few decades.

Reactions: JB
Excuse me? Pick apart your posts? Good lord.

Must have been that elite defense that allowed 35 to Kentucky in that epic Music City Bowl. Good defense? maybe. Great defense? in a few years. Elite? Not quite.

And yes, myself and my entire family also went there (not even sure what that means). There is a little more to it than that with the family though....

Excuse me? Pick apart your posts? Good lord.

Must have been that elite defense that allowed 35 to Kentucky in that epic Music City Bowl. Good defense? maybe. Great defense? in a few years. Elite? Not quite.

And yes, myself and my entire family also went there (not even sure what that means). There is a little more to it than that with the family though....

Here we go again JB, you love to ruffle everyone's feathers...

Bringing up 2007. The year where FSU had it's worst year since 1981 oh and FSU was missing 34 players?

You seem to always try to pick apart every one of my sports posts so I have no problem with being a jerk...

I love how you quote one sentence but fail to include the one before it when I am clearly talking about FSU's defense, not the whole team. I, along with my whole family, went to Florida State and am well aware of the the story of the last decade.

Total Defensive Rankings

2011 - 4th
2010 - 42nd
2009 - 108th
2008 - 15th
2007 - 42nd

Not elite to me.

I didnt go to Florida State, neither did my whole Family (actually, my Dad did).

I can however say to call FSU elite from 2002-2012 is a laughable. To call a team elite, I would imagine they would have won multiple championships? Have they?

Ruffle feathers? Umm okay. I prefer to call it getting facts straight.

Elite defenses dont have decades like FSU has had.

I forgot though, that college football fans do not care for facts all that often, even from fellow fans.

Total Defensive Rankings

2011 - 4th
2010 - 42nd
2009 - 108th
2008 - 15th
2007 - 42nd

Not elite to me.

Lol @ 2009. That's almost as bad as Clemson's D. Haha.

Total Defensive Rankings

2011 - 4th
2010 - 42nd
2009 - 108th
2008 - 15th
2007 - 42nd

Not elite to me.

No facts allowed Jman. Im kind of surprised actually. I went to school there, am clearly a fan and would love for my school to have an elite defense, but they didnt. They have had some exceptional defensive teams, but not elite, not even close. But I guess it is just picking apart posts.

There is 1 elite defense over the last 4-5 years and it resides in Tuscaloosa.

Ohio state faces a tough test at home this weekend in UAB I hope they can pull it off.

No facts allowed Jman. Im kind of surprised actually. I went to school there, am clearly a fan and would love for my school to have an elite defense, but they didnt. They have had some exceptional defensive teams, but not elite, not even close. But I guess it is just picking apart posts.

I hear ya, its why its tough for me being an OU fan and living in this state...also why I never go to games anymore, so many delusional fans.

Obviously I wouldn't claim to be elite the last few years, which is why I said over the last few decades. From the 80's to now, you're telling me that when you think of FSU, Miami, UF, OSU, OK, Bama, and LSU you dont think "powerhouses"? Yes we've struggled at the end of Bowden's reign but I think that what we've accomplished is noteworthy.

This all got off target as you all started homing in one the word I used. The point of the post was that he thinks Clemson is going to score 30+ against FSU's defense this year.

Obviously I wouldn't claim to be elite the last few years, which is why I said over the last few decades. From the 80's to now, you're telling me that when you think of FSU, Miami, UF, OSU, OK, Bama, and LSU you dont think "powerhouses"? Yes we've struggled at the end of Bowden's reign but I think that what we've accomplished is noteworthy.

This all got off target as you all started homing in one the word I used. The point of the post was that he thinks Clemson is going to score 30+ against FSU's defense this year.

My team hasn't won the big one since 2000, no, I don't consider them a powerhouse right now.

I love the college football thread.

My team hasn't won the big one since 2000, no, I don't consider them a powerhouse right now.

Should've won in '08, you got screwed by having to play UF instead of Texas.

Both UT and UF had 1 loss however
-UF lost at home to unranked Ole Miss
-UT lost on the road to #5 TT
-UF jumped an idle Texas the last week.
-UF played 4 ranked teams during the regular season (#4,#8, #23, #24) while UT played #1, #11, #8, and lost to #5. I'd say UT had the harder schedule and their only blemish was #5 on the road where UF beat all the ranked opponents but lost at home to unranked.

Just like how UF jumped an idle Michigan to get into the game in '06. Both of those also happened to be jumps that avoided a rematch of a regular season game...but UF got a rematch in '96 when they lost their last game of the season. I'd say all 3 of their NC's where instances where they were the beneficiaries to the stars aligning for them. But I digress.

Clemson put up 35 last year when Boyd and Watkins were unknowns...with a young and severely depleted FSU defence. You think they are going to put up 30 against FSU @ home with a healthy defense...now that Clemson's offense is known? Anyone that underestimates FSU's defense is crazy. They had one bad year and outside of that they have proven to be elite for the last few decades. Sure they played cupcakes but they absolutely destroyed those cupcakes. Letting in 3 points in 3 games with a shutout of Wake is impressive no matter how you slice it. Even after FSU calls off the dogs and threw in the backups for almost half of each game they still didn't let the first string of the other team get any points.

Let me just play devil's advocate with you for a moment...

It's not just an issue of Clemson's offense being "unknown" or "known." It's also an issue of Clemson being in the second year of using this offense. To follow your analysis, Clemson should have been at a disadvantage last season on offense, because it was still getting a feel for the offense. Now, they have another year with the system under their belts. It should be more productive, theoretically.

The fact that FSU is aware of Sammy Watkins is hardly an argument, by the way. First, FSU should have been vividly aware of Watkins, since he absolutely torched Auburn the week before the FSU game. Second, your argument makes it sound like FSU just allowed Watkins to run all over the field last season without any coverage -- again, hardly the case.

Regardless of history, the game tomorrow is going to come down to match ups. I am interested to see how FSU's DBs match up with Clemson's receivers. Will FSU bracket Watkins? If so, how will they handle Nuk Hopkins? Someone is going to get single coverage, and the game will be if Boyd can find the receiver before FSU's DL finds him. Honestly, that's what the game boils down to.

I think FSU probably wins the game because it is at FSU, and because FSU's DL is about as strong as any team outside of Bama/LSU. I would not be shocked, however, to see this game become a high-scoring affair. Both offenses are potent.

The game should be fantastic, and I'm really looking forward to watching it. The only really disappointing part is that since Clemson and FSU are in the Atlantic Division, the loser is probably going to miss a BCS game. The conference's terrible reputation will more than likely keep the loser out, since it did not play in the ACC Championship game.

Let me just play devil's advocate with you for a moment...

It's not just an issue of Clemson's offense being "unknown" or "known." It's also an issue of Clemson being in the second year of using this offense. To follow your analysis, Clemson should have been at a disadvantage last season on offense, because it was still getting a feel for the offense. Now, they have another year with the system under their belts. It should be more productive, theoretically.

The fact that FSU is aware of Sammy Watkins is hardly an argument, by the way. First, FSU should have been vividly aware of Watkins, since he absolutely torched Auburn the week before the FSU game. Second, your argument makes it sound like FSU just allowed Watkins to run all over the field last season without any coverage -- again, hardly the case.

Regardless of history, the game tomorrow is going to come down to match ups. I am interested to see how FSU's DBs match up with Clemson's receivers. Will FSU bracket Watkins? If so, how will they handle Nuk Hopkins? Someone is going to get single coverage, and the game will be if Boyd can find the receiver before FSU's DL finds him. Honestly, that's what the game boils down to.

I think FSU probably wins the game because it is at FSU, and because FSU's DL is about as strong as any team outside of Bama/LSU. I would not be shocked, however, to see this game become a high-scoring affair. Both offenses are potent.

The game should be fantastic, and I'm really looking forward to watching it. The only really disappointing part is that since Clemson and FSU are in the Atlantic Division, the loser is probably going to miss a BCS game. The conference's terrible reputation will more than likely keep the loser out, since it did not play in the ACC Championship game.
Hey now, no need to bring Auburn and their weak secondary in to this ACC slap fest.

The last 6 bowl games FSU has played in.

Emerald
Music City
Champs Sports
Gator
Chick-Fil-A
Champs Sports

That does not spell elite.

Not disagreeing. But, it also shows how terrible the ACC's bowl tie-ins are. (And that is still when the ACC sent someone to the Gator Bowl.)

Currently, if you don't make it to a BCS game or the Peach Bowl, you are already starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel of bowl games. It's times like these that I wish Clemson and FSU would have left for the SEC or Big 12. Unless the Notre Dame move really pans out (i.e., it becomes a full member after the NBC contract expires), the bowl representation will remain awful.

I think there is a little more to it than just national championships. There aren't many teams in the country that would want to face OU on a yearly basis. I think that if you win your conference more than 3 out of 10 years and are a perennial top 10 those are strong points to becoming a powerhouse. I consider OU a powerhouse football program. I am also a realist and understand that they are not on the top tier right now compared to a few other schools. They are almost always somewhere in the Top 10 though. That's pretty respectable.

Hey now, no need to bring Auburn and their weak secondary in to this ACC slap fest.

Sorry, Auburn. The adults are talking. We'll get back to you when Gene buys -- err -- finds another QB. :alien:

Sorry, Auburn. The adults are talking. We'll get back to you when Gene buys -- err -- finds another QB. :alien:
images

Haha, Clemson claiming to be an Adult, with their 11-33 record against Auburn.

That's an awesome picture War. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back