Official College Football Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doug you're a Mizzou guy? Welcome to the SEC! Excited about what you guys will bring - in football but in basketball too. Only problem is, who's gonna beat OU now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes sir. '01 Grad. If Texas can get their act together maybe the OU/TX hate-fest can continue.

Be prepared for a lot of gross orange! Yuck!

I was in Tenn 2 yrs ago for the Tenn/Bama game and it was a blast. Since I was neutral for that game, I wore orange....I figured it was safer that way. lol

College Football year in review is on right now on ESPNU for anyone interested.

I'm ready for football season already. Only a month until A-Day! (Spring Game)

Be prepared for a lot of gross orange! Yuck!

Just saw this post. You bite your tongue!

BCS memo lists playoffs as option

Updated: April 5, 2012, 4:10 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

The Bowl Championship Series is focusing on four main options for changing the system that determines college football's national champion, from minor tweaks of the current system to a full-fledged, four-team playoff at neutral sites, USA Today reported. According to a two-page memo obtained by the newspaper, the proposals are not the only options being considered, but have been the focus of discussion on how to change the system, which has been a topic of debate since its inception. The BCS' leaders are meeting April 24-26 in Hollywood, Fla.

"There is no leader in the clubhouse ... and frankly, that's just fine at this stage," BCS executive director Bill Hancock told USA Today.

Those supporting the BCS have insisted that a playoff would devalue the regular season and negatively impact the traditional bowl games and student-athlete academics. Critics have argued that the BCS has excluded deserving teams that are outside of the most powerful conferences, and has failed to reward teams for winning their conferences or going undefeated. Among the proposals in the memo is "four teams plus" -- an arrangement that would expand to six teams to account for the traditional Big Ten vs. Pac-12 rivalry embraced by the Rose Bowl, according to the report.

In that scenario, if the top four teams in the BCS standings included teams from the Big Ten and/or the Pac-12, that team (or teams) would play in the Rose Bowl, while the other four highest-ranked teams would play in two other games. Finalists for a championship game would be chosen from among the three winners, according to the report.

The most radical departure proposed in the memo is a four-team playoff, with semifinals and a championship game, according to the report. The memo does not use the word "playoff" to describe the proposal, instead calling it a "four-team event."

A wide range of options for a playoff are presented in the memo, including:

• Playing all three games at bowls;
• Playing the semifinal games at bowls and selecting a bowl game site for the title game;
• Playing all three games at neutral sites and not branding the games as bowls;
• Playing semifinal games at campus sites and selecting a bowl game site for the title game.

The remaining proposals outlined in the memo obtained by USA Today include the "plus-one" formula that would select two teams after the bowl games for a championship game, and a slightly revamped BCS system that would change or eliminate the automatic qualifying status for conferences, except for contracts between conferences and bowl games. Furthermore, according to the memo, if a plus-one or playoff system were put in place, the BCS would consider having a committee select matchups for as many as 16 bowl games, "with the aim of providing the most evenly matched and attractive games that make geographic sense for the participants."

http://espn.go.com/college-football...memo-lays-proposals-change-including-playoffs

What I learned today about college football: at Arkansas, you can be the head football coach, ride a motorcycle without a helmet and with a hot blonde who you are having an affair with, crash the motorcycle, tell the police that no one else was involved in the accident.....and only get put on "administrative leave."

It's brewing in Hogtown, I dont think Petrino survives this one. Poor Fiance of the chick he was riding (with on his motorcycle), he's a strength and conditioning coach for the Arky program and found out the Head Coach and his wife have been makin' bacon.

[h=1]Arkansas' boss hog survived crashing his hog, can't survive fallout[/h]By Dennis Dodd | Senior College Football Columnist
Even the grimmest, meanest, toughest coaches, succeed because, at some level, they are sympathetic figures.
Read “Junction Boys” and common human decency was in short supply under Bear Bryant at Texas A&M.
Bo Schembechler peeled his share of paint.
Woody Hayes went out with barely a shred of dignity.
But they were sympathetic figures because they were revered by their former players. They could turn it on in the living room for any mama who cared to open the door for a recruiting visit. They could sell their schools. They could also sell themselves. Before their winning percentage made them legends, they were hard-working everymen. In troubled times, that's what sustained those legends.
What sustains Bobby Petrino at this moment? At Arkansas it's Cotton and Sugar bowls in succeeding years. And the promise of more. If he returns as the Hogs' coach that's what the school will be admitting without saying a word.
Petrino was put on paid administrative leave Thursday after his admission of an “inappropriate relationship” with a previously undisclosed female passenger on his motorcycle. Arkansas' coach crashed his bike Monday and thankfully survived.
His career shouldn't.
You don't even have to bring up previous notable character flaws: Negotiating with Auburn on a runway while coaching Louisville. Or walking out on the Atlanta Falcons.
If you can't bring yourself to be indignant over those episodes, what occurred Thursday was enough to push Petrino out the door. He can't recruit from here forward. He can't recruit because every rival from Gainesville to Knoxville will open their living-room pitch with news accounts of what occurred Thursday night. And what is sure to be fallout in subsequent days.
Petrino can't recruit because every mama who does let him in the door will be shooting him the stink eye. They are wives and mothers too, just like his wife and his children's mother, Becky.
In a fit of hubris and arrogance Petrino just lost his ability to recruit. At least recruit well. His misdeeds occurred in the Bible Belt where such things matter. Maybe matter more.
Petrino isn't the first coach to have an “inappropriate relationship”. He is one of the few to get caught.
But let's not get too huffy about this. In keeping with a modern trend, Petrino's cover up was worse than whatever moral crime he could have committed. Like Jim Tressel and Bruce Pearl before him, he hid, he deceived, he misled because he could. He's the coach and he wins. If somehow everyone kept their mouths shut, the coach and his winning would triumph.
When he quickly returned to practice this week, Petrino looked grim, tough, mean – and cool. The boss Hog wrecked a hog, so what? Let's play ball.
Now we know Petrino can't continue as coach. Arkansas will find this out. This is not one of those things that blows over. How and when does a paid administrative leave end when the coach has admitted to the facts? Those facts will be used against Petrino and Arkansas on the recruiting trail from here to the end of his tenure in Fayetteville, which could be soon.
You want to know how bad this is? Right now, in comparison, John Calipari looks like a saint.
AD Jeff Long is promising a full investigation. That's likely code for wetting his finger, sticking it in the air and seeing which way the political winds are blowing. I'm betting that the Bible Belt answers back in the negative.
In a way, the school and the state are also on trial here. Forget all the other stuff with Houston Nutt, they didn't tolerate him in the end because he didn't win enough. Petrino is knocking it out of Razorback Stadium. Now he may never re-enter it.
What will kill Petrino as a coach at Arkansas? He's in the same profession as Bear, Woody and Bo. As a sympathetic figure, he's not even on the same planet as those legends.

Wow, even Saban wouldn't sink that low.

--
tapatalk

Wow, even Saban wouldn't sink that low.

--
tapatalk
Lol, nope he wouldnt. Petrino is a scumbag though, always has been. I couldnt stand the guy.

What I learned today about college football: at Arkansas, you can be the head football coach, ride a motorcycle without a helmet and with a hot blonde who you are having an affair with, crash the motorcycle, tell the police that no one else was involved in the accident.....and only get put on "administrative leave."

ApwM0r-CMAADYmx.jpg:large

According to Joe Schad on Twitter...Bobby Petrino is out at Arkansas.

According to Joe Schad on Twitter...Bobby Petrino is out at Arkansas.

I'm sure he gets some sort of settlement package per his contract unless that part is voided by some sort of morals/ethics clause violation. Either way at least Arkansas did the right thing

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

I agree. Guy is a prick, through and through.

Hanks, Petrino has his contract terminated w/ cause. Usually have some sort of "morality" clause in them here in the South.

Meh, I don't care what he does off the field, he's a great football coach and he built a sweet program there.

*does that sort of talk sound familiar :)*

Hanks, Petrino has his contract terminated w/ cause. Usually have some sort of "morality" clause in them here in the South.

True, but I bet he still gets something albeit less than if he had been termed without cause. Not sure how this guy can be a head coach anytime again soon. After what he pulled by quitting on the Falcons and now this? True leader of men.

True, but I bet he still gets something albeit less than if he had been termed without cause. Not sure how this guy can be a head coach anytime again soon. After what he pulled by quitting on the Falcons and now this? True leader of men.

Apparently he also gave the chick $20k, he is getting raked over the coals by the Arkansas AD right now.

Name being tossed around for his replacement? Butch Davis. Replace a cheater with a cheater.

I don't think he gets paid anything for a firing with cause, unless a subsequent lawsuit reaches a settlement.

Schad said this about replacements: Possible Ark candidates include GMalzahn, GMcGee, SHoltz, BDavis, DWannatedt

Of those names Skip Holtz would be great. That said I hope its malzahn or wannstedt.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

I don't think he gets paid anything for a firing with cause, unless a subsequent lawsuit reaches a settlement.

Schad said this about replacements: Possible Ark candidates include GMalzahn, GMcGee, SHoltz, BDavis, DWannatedt

Of those names Skip Holtz would be great. That said I hope its malzahn or wannstedt.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
From what I am hearing it will not be Malzahn. Names I am hearing that are serious candidates would be Wannstedt and Butch Davis.

We'll send them Mike Bobo :D

I think those are pretty standard.

Very surprised he was fired. I thought it was going to be a slap on the wrist.

From what I am hearing it will not be Malzahn. Names I am hearing that are serious candidates would be Wannstedt and Butch Davis.

I know from the Mike Price debacle some years back, it can be very hard to find a suitable coach in April/May, but to me, why would you touch Butch Davis when you've just acted out of integrity in firing Petrino who at least didn't violate any NCAA rules?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back