Niblick Unboxing & Thread

First off, welcome to THP. Second, there are many types of bunkers and we had no issues getting out of them with a chip like stroke after some practice.

However if you believe that the "average" lip on a bunker is 6-8 feet, I have some land to sell. According to golf data tech, the average lip on golf course bunkers is barely 34 inches.

I guess what I am referring to is that most of the bunkers that cause me significant and recurrent problems are maybe 6 feet, some actually are 8 feet - they do grow them big down here!! And I don't often play at Royal Melbourne, venue for the ?2012 President's Cup whose bunkers can be even deeper. Also the sand tends to be soft and fluffy in the deeper bunkers. And, FYI for those still snowed under, very dry and warm.

I have no real problems with most fairway bunkers, though some of those around my way are maybe 5 or 6 feet, most though are 2 or 3 max.

Anyway, I will get myself a 56 and try the chip stroke - maybe still use my 60 for the deeper ones at least for now.

Last edited:
Haha, yeah, I was reading that thinking DANG that bunker would be as tall if not taller than me! lol

Quite a few of ours really are! Fortunately not the pot shaped like in Scotland though, so a sideways or backwards exit can be an option, though less costly than a 2 or 3 stroke exit over the top.

Quite a few of ours really are! Fortunately not the pot shaped like in Scotland though, so a sideways or backwards exit can be an option, though less costly than a 2 or 3 stroke exit over the top.

got a hell of a lot of bunkers in Ireland we have to climb in and out of, and many come with their own sets of steps... lol

Ed_IrelandGolf_IMG_0736.jpg

That...is...awesome.

I am speechless!

got a hell of a lot of bunkers in Ireland we have to climb in and out of, and many come with their own sets of steps... lol

Ed_IrelandGolf_IMG_0736.jpg

Looks a bit like one of the Royal Melbourne ones that I was referring to - yes, they are awesome and very intimidating.

JB - would a 56 Niblick chip out of that??!! :crying:

deleted

a few more to chew on, wana have a 100 degree niblick for these :D

Fairway+Bunker+10th.JPG

Bunker+at+3rd.JPG

IR%20Lahinch.jpg

thats enough of these, staying out of these aint easy with the high winds we have along the coast.. Links golf is a totally different kind of game.

cocopoppyhead - great bunker that first and second pics! At least you Irish don't have to wonder if a brown or tiger snake, or maybe a death adder will be waiting for you in the deep rough!!!

Serious question JB - would the 56 get you out of that with the putting / chipping stroke???

cocopoppyhead - great bunker that first and second pics! At least you Irish don't have to wonder if a brown or tiger snake, or maybe a death adder will be waiting for you in the deep rough!!!

Serious question JB - would the 56 get you out of that with the putting / chipping stroke???

No, but a regular swing would quite well.

Great pics. Anytime you have steps leading into a bunker you know its a brutal course. I feel so inferior worrrying about a 4 foot lip now. I am going to have to try some links golf soon just for sheer self amusement.

Guys- before you commit to 3 niblicks,make sure the 56* works for you from the bunkers. I had no problem swapping out my PW/GW for the 42/49 niblicks and loved the 56* niblick for full shots from rough and fairway. I was also very happy with it on trouble shots greenside. I continue to carry the three niblicks but have had to put my 58*lob back in the bag for bunker play only. . .

Just took the 56 to the practice bunker again this weekend, and I still can't figure it out from the sand. I tried various chipping, pitching and full strokes, but can only manage a very low trajectory. Seems like many people who got it to work at least had to take a few practice shots to adjust. Are there any specific details anyone can offer, like where the ball is in your stance, the angle of your swing and swingpath, how hard you're swinging, how much sand you're taking, etc.?

Just took the 56 to the practice bunker again this weekend, and I still can't figure it out from the sand. I tried various chipping, pitching and full strokes, but can only manage a very low trajectory. Seems like many people who got it to work at least had to take a few practice shots to adjust. Are there any specific details anyone can offer, like where the ball is in your stance, the angle of your swing and swingpath, how hard you're swinging, how much sand you're taking, etc.?

For a regular sand shot, it should give you an even higher trajectory than that of a regular SW. Most SW are 56* as is this one, however with the low and center weight, if you hit it the exact same way out of the sand as you do a regular wedge than you would get an even higher trajectory than before. Try using the exact same technique as you normally would out of the bunker. Ball position teh same and aim behind the ball.

There is a THP TV episode on bunker play on the home page. For pitching it out, I used the ball all the way at my front foot and used an almost putter type of swing but with more downward force. Similar to chipping. With the 56* being what it is, the ball pops right up.

I just got my 42 out last night to chip around the house. Come on spring! Hurry up and get here. I love that club!

I have been toying with the idea of putting all 4 niblicks in my bag and was curious what people thought about this. Here is my logic:

Looking at 160yds and in here is what I have presently (club (degree loft) ) and how far I avg hitting each club

6I (28*) - 160yds
7I (33*) - 150yds
8I (36*) - 140yds
9I (40*) - 130yds
Niblick ( 42*) 120yds
PW (46*) - 110
Niblick (56*) 60yds

WIth this set up I have a big space from 60yds to 110yds which got me thinking of the 49* niblick to add. I am very comfortable witht he 42* on full shots which expanded my thought to the 37* as well ( to remove the 8i and 9i).I am also planning/searching for a Cleveland hybrid 5i (28*) to replace the 6i.

When all was said and down the "bottom" of my bag would look like this:

Hybrid (28*) - 155yds (guessing about 10yds less then the 4i)
Niblick (37*) - ? ( have not swung it on course or range but will guess 130-140)
Niblick ( 42*) 120yds
PW (46*) - 110
Niblick 49*)? (again have not swung but guessing about 80-95)
Niblick (56*) 60yds

Am I nuts for wanting to put 4 niblicks in my bag? :bulgy-eyes: I do not use the 56* niblick often on the fairway as I have not quite gotten it down .. I do use it out of the sand and am very comfortable with that.

One other comment I will make is I am getting to understand "course management" and now I try to play all holes so I can hit the 42* niblick from about 115-120 as that is a very comfortable shot for me. Before I used to try to reach the geen oneverything leaving me alot of shots <50yds and they would kill me.

WR,
It is all about hitting all of your gaps and making the game easier. If this works, then I would say definitely give it a try.

I see that you have one club less in your new setup. Are you adding a longer club? seems like you already have a good distance gap with your irons. I play the 49 niblick, which hits the same distance as my 52 wedge. I just ordered new wedges, because bagging the niblick nullified my 52*, and I have too much of a gap between wedges.
Old: New:
9i (125) 9i (125)
PW (115) PW (115)
Niblick 49 (100-105) Niblick 49 (100-105)
52 (100) 56 (85ish)
58 (75) 60 (65ish)

Funny how adding one club to your bag screws everything else up... Let us know how it goes!

That is kinda how I saw it JB, at the end of the day a club is a club whether a niblick or a burner or a x-22, put in your bag what you are most comfortable with and the round should be easier.

Aso I just noticed with the new set up I believe I gan a spot for one more club/wedge

I see that you have one club less in your new setup. Are you adding a longer club? seems like you already have a good distance gap with your irons. I play the 49 niblick, which hits the same distance as my 52 wedge. I just ordered new wedges, because bagging the niblick nullified my 52*, and I have too much of a gap between wedges.
Old: New:
9i (125) 9i (125)
PW (115) PW (115)
Niblick 49 (100-105) Niblick 49 (100-105)
52 (100) 56 (85ish)
58 (75) 60 (65ish)

Funny how adding one club to your bag screws everything else up...

NO i am fne in the "upper half" I do not need to add anything there. If I were to add it might be something like a 54* "normal" wedge but I can also play with 13 clubs, nothing wrong with that.

I had the same problem with mine out of the sand.....I like my 56* strictly for around the green and my 58* for out of the bunker.....

I love my 37* niblick. I've been playing for 1.5 yrs. and always struggled with chipping. I figured what the heck, my chipping sucks why not try a niblick? With the 37* I now look forward to it. I'm always near the pin after using the 37* from around the green. In fact, I chipped one in last week to win a skin. That almost paid for itself.
I agree with White Rhino about course management. If I can't reach the green safely in regulation I position my shot so I can use the niblick, that's how confident I am with it. And the bonus is on a full swing I hit the 37* 125 yds. I play alot on desert courses with tight lies which the niblick comes in handy. It's almost like a mini hybrid. Very easy to hit.
I ordered the 49* and it's due to be delivered today.

I love my 37* niblick. I've been playing for 1.5 yrs. and always struggled with chipping. I figured what the heck, my chipping sucks why not try a niblick? With the 37* I now look forward to it. I'm always near the pin after using the 37* from around the green. In fact, I chipped one in last week to win a skin. That almost paid for itself.
I agree with White Rhino about course management. If I can't reach the green safely in regulation I position my shot so I can use the niblick, that's how confident I am with it. And the bonus is on a full swing I hit the 37* 125 yds. I play alot on desert courses with tight lies which the niblick comes in handy. It's almost like a mini hybrid. Very easy to hit.
I ordered the 49* and it's due to be delivered today.

Ahh another high desert guy! I'm from ridgecrest.....quick question for you....does the high bounce of the niblick help you with your chipping on tight lies....it does me......just was wondering if it was just me/....

I have been toying with the idea of putting all 4 niblicks in my bag and was curious what people thought about this. Here is my logic:

Looking at 160yds and in here is what I have presently (club (degree loft) ) and how far I avg hitting each club

6I (28*) - 160yds
7I (33*) - 150yds
8I (36*) - 140yds
9I (40*) - 130yds
Niblick ( 42*) 120yds
PW (46*) - 110
Niblick (56*) 60yds

WIth this set up I have a big space from 60yds to 110yds which got me thinking of the 49* niblick to add. I am very comfortable witht he 42* on full shots which expanded my thought to the 37* as well ( to remove the 8i and 9i).I am also planning/searching for a Cleveland hybrid 5i (28*) to replace the 6i.

Niblick (37*) - ? ( have not swung it on course or range but will guess 130-140)
Niblick ( 42*) 120yds
PW (46*) - 110
Niblick (56*) 60yds

Am I nuts for wanting to put 4 niblicks in my bag? :bulgy-eyes: I do not use the 56* niblick often on the fairway as I have not quite gotten it down .. I do use it out of the sand and am very comfortable with that.

One other comment I will make is I am getting to understand "course management" and now I try to play all holes so I can hit the 42* niblick from about 115-120 as that is a very comfortable shot for me. Before I used to try to reach the geen oneverything leaving me alot of shots <50yds and they would kill me.

I think the 49 Niblick will fill that gap nicely for you. Also, you might find that you can use it off the fairway because I think way it plays feels between the 42 and the 56.

Will a 28* hybrid will usally play longer than a 28* 6i? A 32* hybrid might provide a better distance fit. I tried a used Ping G10 32* hybrid for a week once, and it was so much easier to hit than a 6i. Maybe I should have kept it, but that would have meant I'd also get need to get the 28* to fill the gap below it, and I was running out of money.

6I (28*) - 160yds
7I (33*) - 150yds
8I (36*) - 140yds
9I (40*) - 130yds
Niblick ( 42*) 120yds
PW (46*) - 110
Niblick (56*) 60yds

Niblick ( 42*) 120yds
PW (46*) - 110
Niblick (56*) 60yds

That sounds just crazy enough to work. I ended the season with the Niblick 42 and can can easily see chucking the 9 or PW for it. The only thing holding me back from the 56 is the sand shots but I think having the 42 and 49 in place of the 9 and PW makes sense. In fact, depending on if I can continue hitting the Niblck well this season I will probably get the 49 and do just that.

I guess if I found I could hit all the niblicks better than the equivalent irons then it would be a no brainer. Then it would just be a matter of playing to get in range of the Niblicks. It would make the bag look strange but it would look better and better as you kept hitting those greens.

By the way, make sure you try out those cleveland XLS hybrids before you buy. I had one and did not like it at all. Not the same feeling of balance or confidence as with the XLS woods or the XLi irons. Maybe the 09 Launchers or DSTs are different.

Back