Niblick Unboxing & Thread

I use the 56* around the green a lot. But you are asking people to recommend a club for you when you are already having trouble with a high lofted wedge around the green. The niblick could in fact make it slightly easier for you based on weighting, but there is obviously an issue with loft and your technique that could be addressed very easily. If you choose not to do that, that is your choice.

You asked a question directed at me and did not like the answer. Hopefully some will give you the answer you want to hear.

LOL that's not it at all......With my high lofted 51* wedge I have NO PROBLEMS......just the 58*, and i have no problems with it out of the sand....You said yourself that the 58* wedge may not be too high lofted to play around the green.....I was just wondering if the 56* Niblick will be easier to hit.....I use the same technique as with my 58* as I do with my 51* and i still have problems.....just looking for other people suggestions it's not a matter of wether i like your answer or not lol.....i appreciate your input none the less!

You answered your own question. If you have no problems with the 51* and have problems with the 58* then it is clearly a loft problem and it is usually related to technique.

The 56* is going to play like the 58* in that aspect. It is designed to get the ball up quickly. Very much like a 58* wedge.

You answered your own question. If you have no problems with the 51* and have problems with the 58* then it is clearly a loft problem and it is usually related to technique.

The 56* is going to play like the 58* in that aspect. It is designed to get the ball up quickly. Very much like a 58* wedge.

Ok.......I'll just have to see how it goes when I receive it then....I thought that the shape was more of a cavity back and the weight was different then my 58* wedge so then it would be easier to use.....I think I read in your review it is like a super game improvement iron.....which i think my x22's are.....and that it would be easier for me to hit then say just my standard cg15 is......

The x-22s are GIs not SGIs. And while all of what you said is partially true due to weighting, they are not a magic wand and technique is needed. Ironically I directed you to a short 2 minute video that explains it extremely easily and has helped thousands of people already.

Cavity weighting will help a lot of people on full swings and mishits. Something that should not happen with chipping. So in that aspect it is not about it being a cavity. Niblick shape and weighting help a lot in chipping, but you still have to have the chipping technique down.

The x-22s are GIs not SGIs. And while all of what you said is partially true due to weighting, they are not a magic wand and technique is needed. Ironically I directed you to a short 2 minute video that explains it extremely easily and has helped thousands of people already.

Cavity weighting will help a lot of people on full swings and mishits. Something that should not happen with chipping. So in that aspect it is not about it being a cavity. Niblick shape and weighting help a lot in chipping, but you still have to have the chipping technique down.

I know man.....and i just saw the video, i use the hinge and hold method....I thought that you would have noticed that i really don't have a problem with my chipping, because the 51* that i have works wonders for me! Thanks for all the help JB sorry to frustrate you lol,

I have to ask, if you have no problem chipping with your 51* wedge, why are you trying to chip with your 58* and trying a niblick at 56*? The 51 should have plenty of loft for any short sided shots.

I have to ask, if you have no problem chipping with your 51* wedge, why are you trying to chip with your 58* and trying a niblick at 56*? The 51 should have plenty of loft for any short sided shots.

Well i'd like to use the 51* for 100 yards in and the 56* around the green, because I sometime have a hard time with the 51* getting it to stick to the green

In most cases players use less lofted around the green. More loft does NOT equal more spin. You may have a softer landing, but if you are seeing run out on a 51* it comes back to technique and changing to a higher lofted club will normally cause more issues than less in chipping.

In most cases players use less lofted around the green. More loft does NOT equal more spin. You may have a softer landing, but if you are seeing run out on a 51* it comes back to technique and changing to a higher lofted club will normally cause more issues than less in chipping.

I'll see what happens, from reading your reviews and the comments of others, the 56* niblick is what i'm looking for around the greens to land it softly.....we'll see what happens lol

In most cases players use less lofted around the green. More loft does NOT equal more spin

Yep, I go with my 48* or my 8 iron. Thats one of the reasons I havent gone to a Niblick yet, I dont know if I go with a 49 or a 42?

Guys- before you commit to 3 niblicks,make sure the 56* works for you from the bunkers. I had no problem swapping out my PW/GW for the 42/49 niblicks and loved the 56* niblick for full shots from rough and fairway. I was also very happy with it on trouble shots greenside. I continue to carry the three niblicks but have had to put my 58*lob back in the bag for bunker play only. I am playing in FL. on a membership that includes 3 courses with different sand conditions and just could not depend on the 56*. I have always considered myself a pretty good bunker player but I can't seem to adjust to a closed face approach.
If you can afford to carry 4 wedges fine but I need fire power in the other end of my bag.

Guys- before you commit to 3 niblicks,make sure the 56* works for you from the bunkers. I had no problem swapping out my PW/GW for the 42/49 niblicks and loved the 56* niblick for full shots from rough and fairway. I was also very happy with it on trouble shots greenside. I continue to carry the three niblicks but have had to put my 58*lob back in the bag for bunker play only. I am playing in FL. on a membership that includes 3 courses with different sand conditions and just could not depend on the 56*. I have always considered myself a pretty good bunker player but I can't seem to adjust to a closed face approach.
If you can afford to carry 4 wedges fine but I need fire power in the other end of my bag.

It's funny howpeople are different... I would say I amthe exact opposite of you brandidog, I can't get the 56* to work anywhere consistantly other than the bunker. I am very erratic around the green and from 50yds and in...

I too am the exact opposite as Brandidog atleast in the aspect that I think the 56* is ridiculously easy out of the bunker. So did all our testers including GG. It took a few swings, but now, it is one that I think works better than most I have tried.

I am sure its a matter of technique. Would you guys give me a brief over view for your success. I would also be interested in the type of bunkers,sand conditions etc. that you encounter. I am ecsp.troubled w/ the shortside deep bunker shot.

We play all different kinds here from wet and hard to soft and beach like. In the review we kind of describe that you can go about it with a full swing like a normal bunker shot and let the weight of the club head slide under the ball. Or you can use it just like you do regular Niblick shot and use it almost like a pitch and let the weight and shape glide through it.

Fascinating, i just read the entire thread, and the reviews.. and thats a lot of reading. :D

I still find myself in a bit of a pickle however, I shall explain.

the highest lofted club from the new irons i bought (R9's) s a 50* AW, and I already have a 60* lob wedge that works very well for me.. so, you can see there is a 10* gap. Im looking for a club to fill this range, so 54-56* would be ideal in-terms of garnering the distance required. This is where my pickle begins.

It seems the 49* covers the distance of a 50/51* iron, and the 56* yeilds the same distance results of a 58*, so im a bit stumped. Maybe the Niblick is not the club i can have to fill the void, but is the club as an additional weapon from 100yards in??? Maybe i could buy the 56* and replace the LW, but I dont think i can really figure that one out until i compare them both..

I guess that no Niblick will realistically cover a 55* wedge? would that be a reasonable assumption?

I guess that no Niblick will realistically cover a 55* wedge? would that be a reasonable assumption?

I'm not sure, I think you'd have to hit one at your local shop to determine this. I have a 49* and it's replaced my 52* wedge. I'm looking at getting a 56*, but I dont expect it to replace my 58* wedge. Or maybe it will, and I'll have to get a 60* or 62*... more equipment! :banana:

As someone who walks onto the course and joins in with random two or three-somes, I still cant believe how many people pull the club from my bag and look at it with an interested expression. It usually happens around hole 4 or 5 after I've pitched once and chipped once with good success. Happens almost every time. And the people at the local golf shop also thought it was a "chipper", to which I promptly gave them a lesson. :D

I think I'd pay to see clg82 and JB play a round of golf together... talk about an afternoon full of side-splitting laughter! :rofl:

Well, whilst selling off a TON of my other stuff I managed to actually buy something...once a 'ho...

Nabbed a basically brand new 49* for 70, good deal IMO!

Will keep everyone updated!

Fascinating, i just read the entire thread, and the reviews.. and thats a lot of reading. :D

I still find myself in a bit of a pickle however, I shall explain.

the highest lofted club from the new irons i bought (R9's) s a 50* AW, and I already have a 60* lob wedge that works very well for me.. so, you can see there is a 10* gap. Im looking for a club to fill this range, so 54-56* would be ideal in-terms of garnering the distance required. This is where my pickle begins.

It seems the 49* covers the distance of a 50/51* iron, and the 56* yeilds the same distance results of a 58*, so im a bit stumped. Maybe the Niblick is not the club i can have to fill the void, but is the club as an additional weapon from 100yards in??? Maybe i could buy the 56* and replace the LW, but I dont think i can really figure that one out until i compare them both..

I don't have the 56* Niblick, only the 42*, but I find it hard to believe the 56* niblick could cover for a 56* to 60* wedge all the way. Sure it would work in many situations and possible a great added club, but what would I use for those 10 yard hit and stop now shots over the sand trap to a raised green? Or even a short sided shot with a raised green for that matter. It's just too easy to open the blade of a wedge and lob the ball to a spot.

I will likely keep my 9 iron out this year for the 42* Niblick and experiment with a 49* Niblick to see what that does as a GW, but verdict is still out on the 56* Niblick.

Well, whilst selling off a TON of my other stuff I managed to actually buy something...once a 'ho...

Nabbed a basically brand new 49* for 70, good deal IMO!

Will keep everyone updated!

Great deal Jman. Hope it works well!

I don't have the 56* Niblick, only the 42*, but I find it hard to believe the 56* niblick could cover for a 56* to 60* wedge all the way. Sure it would work in many situations and possible a great added club, but what would I use for those 10 yard hit and stop now shots over the sand trap to a raised green? Or even a short sided shot with a raised green for that matter. It's just too easy to open the blade of a wedge and lob the ball to a spot.

I will likely keep my 9 iron out this year for the 42* Niblick and experiment with a 49* Niblick to see what that does as a GW, but verdict is still out on the 56* Niblick.

Im very competant around the greens with a LW, so i have no huge need to replace the LW, however im open to change if the niblick were to oust the LW from my bag..

i do need to facilatate a yardage gap tho, and i would like to have that extra option around the greens.. thats why the niblick appeals...

im looking on ebay at a GW for the R9's at the moment, so maybe ill get it cheap yet.. and a Niblick 56 after :p

I am very pleased with the Cleveland 42 niblick for bump and run shots etc. I still prefer my Cobra UFI Sand wedge as opposed to the Niblick 56 for shots I need to lob and stop around the flag. I have literally hit hundreds of practice shots with the Cobra sandwedge and it works very well for me. The Niblick 56 is a winner, just not for me in the sand wedge department.

I am very pleased with the Cleveland 42 niblick for bump and run shots etc. I still prefer my Cobra UFI Sand wedge as opposed to the Niblick 56 for shots I need to lob and stop around the flag. I have literally hit hundreds of practice shots with the Cobra sandwedge and it works very well for me. The Niblick 56 is a winner, just not for me in the sand wedge department.

Thats what I keep coming to. My go to when close is the 56* CG14, even to the point of delofting it for a pitch and run or can go with an 8 iron and pitch it up there. It just seem's I miss too often short sided and the weight of a Niblick would possibly inhibit my ability to loft high enough on a soft short shot? If that makes sense.

From 125 to 130 yards out the 42* Niblick is money to me. I love that club.

Back