I know, but ain't it funny, that everytime I play a Tour like ball, the spin for the green gets me at the tee. When I play these lesser balls, no problem. I have played quite a few better balls, and lose them faster than the value balls I play. I know my swing is not great, but I can hit a fairway for the most part. These higher launching balls keep me on the short grass. So, I just learn to live with what I have, and at my age, not learning to makeover swing. Small tweaks on the basics. I enjoy the game where I am. Big maybe, but when I retire, and have a lot of time, I might work to be better...
Green side spin comes from the material in the cover. Generally urethane will spin more than what is found in less expensive golf balls for cover material. As you move further away from the green (and the tee shot), the cover material doesn't have as much to do with spin and some would say with driver, it has virtually none. That comes from multiple things including the firmness of the golf ball (although firm vs soft is a misnomer in spin), the dimple pattern and a few other elements.

I know, but ain't it funny, that everytime I play a Tour like ball, the spin for the green gets me at the tee. When I play these lesser balls, no problem. I have played quite a few better balls, and lose them faster than the value balls I play. I know my swing is not great, but I can hit a fairway for the most part. These higher launching balls keep me on the short grass. So, I just learn to live with what I have, and at my age, not learning to makeover swing. Small tweaks on the basics. I enjoy the game where I am. Big maybe, but when I retire, and have a lot of time, I might work to be better...
Hey, right there with you. I dont have the time to practice or play nearly as much as Id like. Im hoping to get better in a year or 2 after Im semi-retired but right now, its a matter of playing with what I have.
Im also not trying to push you into a ball that you dont want or isnt right for you. Im just pointing out that theres been various tests done that have shown very little difference off of the driver from a budget ball and a tour ball. If Titleist were the only ones saying it, I might question it but when multiple sources are saying it, I cant just write it off as marketing BS.

Hey, right there with you. I dont have the time to practice or play nearly as much as Id like. Im hoping to get better in a year or 2 after Im semi-retired but right now, its a matter of playing with what I have.
Im also not trying to push you into a ball that you dont want or isnt right for you. Im just pointing out that theres been various tests done that have shown very little difference off of the driver from a budget ball and a tour ball. If Titleist were the only ones saying it, I might question it but when multiple sources are saying it, I cant just write it off as marketing BS.
I get it...

But, you know, I think urethane off of ANY club is "spinnier" for me. My swing is not perfect, but the value balls don't seem to go offline as much as, say a TM Tour Response. I lost those in like 4 rounds, all off the driver. Lost a sleeve of Srixon Z-Stars in 4 holes. Found a Cally ERC on the course-got through 5 holes before losing that one too..Now, I just had the worst round in years while playing at a course in Myrtle Beach. Lost 15 value balls in a round. That was an anomalie for even me! 2, maybe 4 a round, but not 15. So, I just don't spend the money on the more expensive "tour" like balls..In as much as I WOULD like to play a "better" ball, and I have tried quite a few top tier balls, just lose too many. And having only played like 5 rounds this year, I have lost like 25 golf balls this year. So, at this time, I will stay with a value ball...

Last edited:
Besides all that, I like the way they look, and feel.. That IS a brite yellow ball!!

Attachments

• 20230610_200606.jpg
    20230610_200606.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 11
Dick’s is having a “flash sale” now where the Softfli balls are even a little less expensive (plus double Scorecard points). FYI.
Prompted my this thread, I’m gonna give them a try.

Dick’s is having a “flash sale” now where the Softfli balls are even a little less expensive (plus double Scorecard points). FYI.
Yup! They have a sale ending on July 12th, 2fer $32, 4fer $54.98.. I pulled the trigger on the 4fer. With tax added on the 4fer, it comes to just $15 a box. Should have enough for a couple of seasons, IF I don't lose a ton each round. I already purchased 2fer $35 earlier in June when I ran out of golf balls on my trip to Myrtle Beach, after having a disastrous round, losing 15 balls, mostly in water hazards. I have like 80-something golf balls in my arsenal. Not "Tour" balls, but I can play these, and not worry if I lose a few. I tend to play these a little better than other balls I have played. Very confident when on the tee with this ball. Helps keep me in the fairway a little more. Similar in construction to the Callaway Supersoft. The regular price($24.99) of these is the same as the SS, so the 2fer deal is a good bargain with this ball. I got 3x points on this purchase...

Hopefully, you have been to the store, or ordered online before the sale expires. I enjoy playing this ball, and if you like yellow, you will like this "new" color. I played the brite green in the past, but I did want yellow. Both are easy to see in the air, and in the grass. They do have them in white, and also matte white, if you are so inclined. I should be pretty well set for golf balls for some time now, as I did purchase 4 dozen. Plays like the Cally SS, in my estimation, but a whole lot cheaper. I wonder IF they are made in the same ball plant overseas. A lot of balls are made in Taiwan. Cally, Wilson, PXG, and TM, which has bought into a plant there. Most of the Bridgestone lineup is primarily made here, as is Titleist, and Pinnacle. I would think Srixon has their own plants, being such a large rubber company, but not sure. Anyway, really good "flash sale". Don't miss out. Did they put the Tours on sale too?

Hopefully, you have been to the store, or ordered online before the sale expires. I enjoy playing this ball, and if you like yellow, you will like this "new" color. I played the brite green in the past, but I did want yellow. Both are easy to see in the air, and in the grass. They do have them in white, and also matte white, if you are so inclined. I should be pretty well set for golf balls for some time now, as I did purchase 4 dozen. Plays like the Cally SS, in my estimation, but a whole lot cheaper. I wonder IF they are made in the same ball plant overseas. A lot of balls are made in Taiwan. Cally, Wilson, PXG, and TM, which has bought into a plant there. Most of the Bridgestone lineup is primarily made here, as is Titleist, and Pinnacle. I would think Srixon has their own plants, being such a large rubber company, but not sure. Anyway, really good "flash sale". Don't miss out. Did they put the Tours on sale too?
Callaway premium balls are made in their own factory in MA (THPers got a tour of it a few years ago)
Bridgestone in made in GA. (Thpers got a tour of it a few years ago)
Titleist is also made in MA (although some overseas).
Maxfli is just a Dicks Sporting Goods owned name. They do not do any manufacturing and are currently relying on multiple places to create. That means you are also relying on the factory you are buying from for QC, which obviously does bring in some issues for some people.

Callaway premium balls are made in their own factory in MA (THPers got a tour of it a few years ago)
Bridgestone in made in GA. (Thpers got a tour of it a few years ago)
Titleist is also made in MA (although some overseas).
Maxfli is just a Dicks Sporting Goods owned name. They do not do any manufacturing and are currently relying on multiple places to create. That means you are also relying on the factory you are buying from for QC, which obviously does bring in some issues for some people.
Cally premium, so possibly the SS is made overseas. I think it says imported on the box. I do know about Maxfli, and also TopFlite, are just names which Dicks owns the rights to use. They have the balls made in Taiwan, or thereabout. Just a topic of conversation, but it is interesting. I would like to tour a golf ball mfg. plant sometime...

A good choice for the senior golfer with a slow swing speed. Been there done that.

Cally premium, so possibly the SS is made overseas. I think it says imported on the box. I do know about Maxfli, and also TopFlite, are just names which Dicks owns the rights to use. They have the balls made in Taiwan, or thereabout. Just a topic of conversation, but it is interesting. I would like to tour a golf ball mfg. plant sometime...
Currently made in LT factory overseas. They have oversight there, but it is still an external factory, unlike their premium balls. With that said, a store brand will not have the same oversight. That doesnt mean someone cant like them, of course they can. THey should just know what they are getting, because im not sure Dicks does. :ROFLMAO:

Currently made in LT factory overseas. They have oversight there, but it is still an external factory, unlike their premium balls. With that said, a store brand will not have the same oversight. That doesnt mean someone cant like them, of course they can. THey should just know what they are getting, because im not sure Dicks does. :ROFLMAO:
I could go along with that statement. These Maxfli balls seem to be a good ball. Never had a problem with quality, that I can see, but, don't know what is on the inside. They play as good as any other ball I have played. Goes pretty far, never had a problem with the covers. They all seem to feel the same off my driver, but that is subjective. And how about the factory having a little pride in what it produces...

So I happened to pick one of these out of the woods by happenstance today, a red one. All I can say is WOW! I was out driving my friends and hitting my driver over 200 yards. It actually forced me to go back to the regular white tees today.

Did some research a bit ago and found out that ultra low compression balls are great for lower swing speeds, which is me. I just canceled my TM Distance Plus subscription and will pick either these up or the Wilson Duo Soft.

@Canadan apparently you guys were on to something last week with your podcast. I’m hitting normal distances even with my slow swing speed when I play the right ball for me.

@Canadan apparently you guys were on to something last week with your podcast. I’m hitting normal distances even with my slow swing speed when I play the right ball for me.
Awesome!!!

Did you get your Softfli Matte Reds yet? Weekend is coming...

Did you get your Softfli Matte Reds yet? Weekend is coming...
Have them in hand! Picked them up in store at DSG two days ago. My next round is Monday, playing 18 at Saratoga Lake. Can’t wait!

Have them in hand! Picked them up in store at DSG two days ago. My next round is Monday, playing 18 at Saratoga Lake. Can’t wait!
Alrighty then!! I really think you are going to like this ball, a lot! Not saying the Wison Duo is a bad ball, but how can you beat the discount on the Maxfli brand? I bought the 4fer deal-feels like I got a box free!! Anyway, good luck on your round. I can't wait to hear how it went...

Alrighty then!! I really think you are going to like this ball, a lot! Not saying the Wison Duo is a bad ball, but how can you beat the discount on the Maxfli brand? I bought the 4fer deal-feels like I got a box free!! Anyway, good luck on your round. I can't wait to hear how it went...
I’ll be sure to give an update! 😃

I forgot to tell you earlier that I have 3 sleeves of Cally Supersoft Matte Red that I might just put them in play soon. I liked the color till the leaves started to fall. No more red! Yellow...

I forgot to tell you earlier that I have 3 sleeves of Cally Supersoft Matte Red that I might just put them in play soon. I liked the color till the leaves started to fall. No more red! Yellow...
I really do like how the matte red sticks out when looking for my ball. But you’re right, come the Fall that wouldn’t be ideal.

I keep rereading your statement about how "various test have shown very little difference off of the driver from a budget ball and a tour ball". In what regard? Distance IS probably the same, but I'm not buying the less spin part! It may be low spin, but most likely MORE than a budget ball. And to go along with that, I read a lot of threads on here about how some of you mid-cappers talk about changing balls because some are too spinny off of your driver. So, not convinced that the spin in these balls doesn't show up off the tee. Sorry, just the way I feel about it. Like I said, my swing is not tour quality, so the little bit that it is off, is making those tour type balls spin right off the driver. I would love to have more spin around the green, just not going to screw up the tee part of my game. I struggle with staying in the fairway, and getting on the green as it is, let alone having more spin on an approach shot. I may eventually get there, just not pushing it. Might revisit this in the future. IF I do change my golf ball, everyone on here will know about it! Right now, playing Maxfli Softfli matte yellow...

So, rough day on the course today. Started great on the 1st hole, par 4, shot par. 2nd hole, par 5, triple bogie. Double on the par 3 3rd. You get the picture. 6204 yards on the card, from the Whites. Moving up to the Gold tees saves you 650 yards. Maybe next time. Lost three Softflis, at 14, 15, and 17. Spent a lot of time in the fairway today. Approaches STILL need work. Only hit the green on one par 3. Short game was hit and miss, but it was not bad. Putter was pretty good most of the round. At this point of the season, I will continue to play the Maxfli Softfli, as it felt good off all the clubs.

Callaway SS and Softfli are in my rotation. But I miss Nike PD Soft golf balls.

Back