Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the problem.
That key you all like isn't really a "logo" per say, since it is so digitized with metallic, lighting, and gradient effects. Those things can't be reproduced on anything but the website, and possibly the magazine to some extent.
The core logo needs to be just shapes filled with flat color, but also identifiable in just B&W.
Once that is established, you can dress it up with effects where applicable.
Those things shouldn't even be in our heads yet, though.

Here's the problem.
That key you all like isn't really a "logo" per say, since it is so digitized with metallic, lighting, and gradient effects. Those things can't be reproduced on anything but the website, and possibly the magazine to some extent.
The core logo needs to be just shapes filled with flat color, but also identifiable in just B&W.

^^^ Yes, that's the point I've been trying to make!

(Except when _JL_ says it, it's . . . you know . . . understandable.)

EDIT: JL, maybe you could do a quick reproduction of that key to demonstrate how it would look in "logo" form and why it won't work that way?

JL, maybe you could do a quick reproduction of that key to demonstrate how it would look in "logo" form and why it won't work that way?

dsjflkj.jpg
Picture8-5.jpg

The ball would be a little different, I just didn't feel like making a whole new one just for this.

A key. Quite awful.......
key2h.png

.....though for some reason I like the left side of it.
82516664.png

Kicking around another idea......
saddleshoe2.png

..... like argyle, the saddle-shoe screams golf-style. The above sketch is somewhat 'lacking', but I thought I would throw it in the mix anyway....

key2h.png

I actually don't think this is as bad as you think, v3.0. In fact, it's my favorite of the bunch.

I might suggest putting a T, an H and a P in the diamonds.

Then underneath the teeth, do like FedEx does with their "Ground', "Express", etc. and put "Media", "The Magazine", "The Forum", "Radio" or any of the other offshoots of the business.

In medium where color won't work, make the diamonds white and the green a 10 or 20 percent black screen (grey). Where you can do color, make the diamonds three different colors.

fedex-logo-1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Smalls. I must have sucked you in with the complementary colors. :banana:

I had trouble finding a good font, and I am not sure about the proportions and whatnot, but here is a pass at it:

key2wtext.png

Here's the problem.

If this is the case wouldn't the original exclamation point have the same issue since the ball is 3-D?

I updated my post. Had a couple more things to add!

Thanks Smalls. I must have sucked you in with the complementary colors. :banana:

I had trouble finding a good font, and I am not sure about the proportions and whatnot, but here is a pass at it:

key2wtext.png

We would prefer if the logo itself does not include the words and is more of an identifier. Because as has been mentioned several times, this logo is more than a forum. It is for THP Media which has a lot more.

Picture8-5.jpg

The ball would be a little different, I just didn't feel like making a whole new one just for this.

Right. You couldn't do the dimples that way. The only way I can think to signify a golf ball without the dimples is to put THP in script and a 1 below it, like golf ball. But I'm not sure that would be enough to make a white circle immediately recognizable as a golf ball.

The only way I can think to signify a golf ball without the dimples is to put THP in script and a 1 below it, like golf ball.
Brilliant! That was the third version for a simple golf ball that I thought of at work, and then couldn't remember for the life of me. :clapp:

Just playing with some things

Newer.jpg

^^^disregard that, just read JB's last post.

If this is the case wouldn't the original exclamation point have the same issue since the ball is 3-D?

I think so.

I took another shot, but it's awwww.full.

Spoiler
Keylogo2.jpg

And I still think there's gotta be a way to make a tee out of the skinny part of the "key". But clearly I am not qualified to do it.

And I think a horizontal canal instead of/in addition to the arrows would help make it look more like a key

key2wtext.png

am I the only one who sees an olive?

am I the only one who sees an olive?
Maybe that's why I liked that part of it!? :confused2:

I have a general comment, not directed at anyone in particular, about the image of the key that started it all, and subsequent versions..... I must say that I don't care for versions that copy the original design too closely: It just doesn't seem right. And I think that an original idea will eventually pop up here....

Yes. Which is why you may have been forced to use this one, or something similar:
Picture21.jpg

So after all that in which we thought we found the logo (pre-key) that we were set to use, it turns out the final version could not have been used. Back to the drawing board.

Well, like I said - It could have been used for certain things, like the website, but there's no way to reproduce a modeled version like that on a polo shirt or towel.

That goes back to the original problem. We need a logo that emcompasses all things THP.

Since the key idea doesn't seem like that can work then I say we go back to the exclamation point. We all liked that and I think it still works great and we will just have two use a 2-D ball so it can be replicated on clothing as well. We want to keep the logo consistent across all forms of THP Media.

Now we just need the right exclamation point since the previous one will not work right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back