Grass is greening up, so I can almost smell that fresh cut grass.

I did some leveling and seeding last year. Some areas did really good, others not so much. So I'm going to try seeding some this spring, even though I prefer fall seeding. Ready to get outside more!

I edged in the front yard along the sidewalk and driveway while the flurries were starting over the weekend, so at least that is done. I even edged along the curb at the street. We have a service do our fertilizing. I priced it out doing it myself, and the cost is pretty similar. This way, I don't have to worry about when it all gets done. Going to get some seed down in the patchy areas once I am confident we are done with the freezes. The worst areas are close to our irrigated beds. I should be able to adjust the sprinkler heads to cover the seeded areas of grass to make that even easier for me.

I'm gonna need to do some leveling this year. Our area is very sandy, so anywhere the grass didn't go, the rain washed away the sand. My dad joked if we had a horse it would have broken its leg.

I'm gonna need to do some leveling this year. Our area is very sandy, so anywhere the grass didn't go, the rain washed away the sand. My dad joked if we had a horse it would have broken its leg.
I would kill for sandier soil. We are on clay, and it gets gross in the spring. Probably going to roll it this spring once it dries out enough that I won't get stuck. Haven't rolled in a couple years.

We've got centipede grass, as that's what was laid when the house was built. Its taken a while to fill out the rest of the open areas, but I swear, if our yard was concrete, it would have been covered in grass after year one. I'm trying to switch to bermuda and hope that chokes out everything else. I'm afraid whats left of the centipede isn't coming back. Just a lot of dead runs that disintegrate if you touch them. Hopefully the dead grass dust will help fill in some of the bare holes.

Inside the green is all that was sodded when it was built, and we had the area where the shed is and a few yards behind the well pump cleared to enlarge the back yard a bit.

1679492277967.png

Last edited:
First round of pre-emergent went down last Friday. We are heading out of town in 10 days for a week and I'm debating on mowing the day before we leave as the growing is just barely getting started and if I wait it might be really long when we get back

Just had a Palmetto planted/installed in front on Friday, I gave it a lot of water - and again Saturday before leaving for a golf weekend. Have since learned better when to water, have ordered some fertilizer spikes to help it along. The tree that was there - either a small maple of some kind or a small regular white/red oak was moved to the back (and watered). Has buds no leaves so no idea yet what it is. Wish it had been a live oak :(. We have someone else doing the lawn feeding/fertilzing, and a second company doing the bug/insect eradication. All I need do it water and mow - and it's all so pleasantly small - it's 30 mins from start to finish.

Spring is definitely on the way. About a month and first applications go down here. Prodiamine is on top of the list. Gotta keep the crabgrass away!

This drives me absolutely nuts! Our city is promoting no Mow April. The thought behind it is to give all the bees and other bugs an opportunity to pollinate everything. In reality, it just gives the people who don’t take care of their lawn an excuse to not cut their weeds for another month. It is infuriating that we are actually encouraging, weed growth everywhere!

Ow get off my lawn!!!
4FD5042F-139C-423F-BC88-C4B998129338.jpeg

Have a neighbor wanting to set up a group aeration for a discount. I'm all in on helping out a young kid, but he wanted to come out tomorrow.

Went out and checked yard. Front yard still at 40° 3" down. Still crystalized further down. Back yard frozen solid. (South facing house).

Um...yeah, I'm out. Totally useless and could damage his machine.

Others must have went out to check their yards. Rescheduled for late April, much better.

Man, I’m getting old. Just spread 3 different products, DiseaseEx, GrubEx and a bug killer, and at a quick pace. Now I’m exhausted. Never did all three at once before, here’s to hoping the lawn survives.

Staying on top of grubs is key for us as they decimated our backyard since we bought in 2015 year after year come late summer. Reseeding and nurturing back a full lawn every fall was getting pretty darned old. That is, until we finally figured out in 2021 that grubs were the sole cause. Who knew? LOL… Now we just aerate and overseed like normal people.

I treated in advance a week ago with a 24 hr grub killer (I use BioAdvanced 24 hr Grub Killer Plus, it’s only designed to remain in the soil for about 6 days, as per the manufacturer), and then GrubEx a week later. Will hit the lawn again with the 24 hr stuff in June, then both 24 hr and GrubEx spaced a week apart in late July or August. I’ve found that I can go lighter than the product’s spread recommendations, only I have to maintain the above timing. Since using this process, our backyard has remained perfectly healthy year round.

Getting the first mow in tonight before more rain 😎

Tried to put down a bunch of bermudagrass seed. I got about 40 new blades of grass, but we do have a nice furry layer of new weeds forming.

Finished just in time .. pre and post
20230406_172344.jpg
20230406_184531.jpg

Some areas needed it more than others, I definite have a lot .ore work to do in the fall, and I need to work on my edging
20230406_185949.jpg

Lawn looked like crap for our listing photos :( just gave it the “moving special” treatment aka using all the seed in the shed and hoping some takes.

I decided to say F it and do the last sprinkler section myself.. $100 and 2chiuts of work vs $1200
20230408_191031.jpg

New mower to start the season
DBB903AA-79F1-41EE-8549-F71CD29A3870.jpeg

For early April, I would say this Midwest lawn is looking excellent. A few bareish spots that will likely have to be addressed in the fall, but the majority of the lawn is VERY lush

IMG_6293.jpg

@Nerdy I bought one last year, and really, really like it. It's so quiet and easy to use.
Been looking to change the last few years, finally pulled the trigger

Been looking to change the last few years, finally pulled the trigger
You'll be glad you did. You also don't have to worry about changing oil, getting gas, etc. But again, I just love how quiet it is. I can wear headphones while I mow the lawn and actually hear the music, lol.

2nd mow of the year in after spot treating some weeds.. some spots will definitely need a good bit of attention in the fall when I oversee it again and I'll definitely need to do a pre-emergent in the fall
20230415_182632.jpg

And Costco ftw for plants
20230415_182659.jpg

Back