Lamkin UTX Grips Review

I appreciate both the article as well as the price point. The 2014’s were the closest to make the fulltime switch from MCC’s, but man did they drop off quality wise.

I’m glad for the fact they went back to what made these really damn good.

I've been using the grey in midsize for years now. I am not sure what changed as I never really noticed much difference in anything new I bought....but maybe it was still the old version I kept getting? I can't tell. But I am very glad if there was a negative difference, that they have resolved it.

Do we know about the timeframe that it seemed to change before?

I used the UTX for a long time, but went away from them a while back too. I have some of the new Greens in the bag now, on my wedges, driver, and 5-wood, and enough Blues to go on my irons when its time to regrip. I definitely agree that they seem to be back like they used to be, that tackiness is back.

I've been using the grey in midsize for years now. I am not sure what changed as I never really noticed much difference in anything new I bought....but maybe it was still the old version I kept getting? I can't tell. But I am very glad if there was a negative difference, that they have resolved it.

Do we know about the timeframe that it seemed to change before?
They lost their bite. Cord exposure dipped and the material formula had to have been altered as they got slick with little tactile feedback for about a 5-6 year period.

I used the UTX for a long time, but went away from them a while back too. I have some of the new Greens in the bag now, on my wedges, driver, and 5-wood, and enough Blues to go on my irons when its time to regrip. I definitely agree that they seem to be back like they used to be, that tackiness is back.
The new greens look SO good too. Just the right amount of cord.

I think this will be an obvious choice for me when I decide to regrip my clubs.

I’m pretty smitten, it’s making the reality of the upcoming year for me likely UTX in driver, FW, and wedges, then ST+2 in irons.

These are straight up as good as the original, thank goodness.
I saw them in store a few weeks ago and was going to purchase but they only had 7 :(

I actually put one of these on my UW and echo everything from the review. I was also super bummed when they neutered the previous offering. These will be going on my irons and wedges when I regrip for the season. Heck, I may do it as soon as this week.

really really cool to see the UTx come back like this. UTx was one of the first grips that made me pay attention to grips. I wish Callaway offered them in their custom club configuration options

really really cool to see the UTx come back like this. UTx was one of the first grips that made me pay attention to grips. I wish Callaway offered them in their custom club configuration options
I’d imagine they will as we roll into the 24 release season. They usually stay pretty on top of their offerings.

I’d imagine they will as we roll into the 24 release season. They usually stay pretty on top of their offerings.
there seems to be a mix of lagging behind on some things and staying on top of others. hopefully we see the UTx in the mix in 2024.

One of my all-time favorite grips was a green Lamkin and I was talking to @mtbloco about it yesterday but couldn’t remember what it was. I forgot that I still had the grip on an old Hawkeye 2i and pulled it out to see that it was the Crossline. I remember it being tackier, but of course this grip has been on the club a long time.

I might need to try these soon if they are tackier than the current Crossline. Thanks for the review!

there seems to be a mix of lagging behind on some things and staying on top of others. hopefully we see the UTx in the mix in 2024.
They’ve always been on top of the Lamkin offerings

Great review here! I am a longtime user of UTx but I mass bought a bunch of 2014 era red/gray mottled grips because of the drop off haha. Have the new gray on my irons and fairway though and happy to report and agree that they feel like the old UTx.

My favorite grip on the market BY FAR. I need to re grip wedges and driver with them soon.

Next time I’m in Golftown I will have to take a look at these. I recall years ago hearing so much about the UTX grips and then I bought a set of shafts that had them on but I couldn’t believe how awful they were so they came off in a matter of a couple weeks. Sounds like they’ve got back to where they used to be but with even more improvements.

Putting these on the rest of my woods today, the blend of these into the ST+2 in the irons might be perfect for me.

I saw these in store. I need new grips on woods and I think I will put the greens on.

The Zcirds gave me the “grip” I wanted but after the round my hands hurt. I think uTX is the way to go as I loved the originals and if these fixed the “slickness” of prior iterations then I’ll put them on the full set

IMG_4240.png

I think I need to refresh some grips soon.

Utx in the long clubs. :unsure:

I think I need to refresh some grips soon.

Utx in the long clubs. :unsure:
I really liked these at one time. A quick trial from @xThor last year made me want to try them again. Multi color should be fun..

While I personally love these grips, I have run into some quality control issues with them. They don't seem to quite have the same quality control as Golf Pride grips typically do or even as other grips in the Lamkin line.

I've noticed the thickness of the rubber can vary, especially at the opening of the grip can vary from grip to grip and some have super thin walls and some are much thicker. I also had one recently completely split open on both sides at the seam as I installed it on a shaft. The shaft only had 2 wraps of tape on it and it wasn't a crazy large build up or anything.

20240214_111726.jpg
20240214_111730.jpg

While I personally love these grips, I have run into some quality control issues with them. They don't seem to quite have the same quality control as Golf Pride grips typically do or even as other grips in the Lamkin line.

I've noticed the thickness of the rubber can vary, especially at the opening of the grip can vary from grip to grip and some have super thin walls and some are much thicker. I also had one recently completely split open on both sides at the seam as I installed it on a shaft. The shaft only had 2 wraps of tape on it and it wasn't a crazy large build up or anything.

View attachment 9242835
View attachment 9242836
Ohhh, that’s too bad. Hopefully you can get free replacements

Back