Justice for Reacher!

thewilderside

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I may be alone on this island but I'm a massive fan of the Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child. I was bitterly disappointed to see Tom Cruise cast as Reacher in the two movies. I'm sorry (spoiler alert) but Reacher in the books is over 6'4 and huge, so seeing Cruise towered over by his co-star in the movies was tough to get past. Having just seen the preview for an Amazon series based on this beloved character I was thrilled that, while maybe I didn't recognize the actor, he at least looks taller than 5'7. The actor I pegged as Jack Reacher the first time I saw him was Clive Standen (Rollo from Vikings) but this guy at least looks more the part to me. Anyone else a fan of the books or have thoughts on this or it just me on nerd island tonight?

I liked the earlier books, the newer ones a bit less. I thought the Rock would have been a good pick for the role or Jason Momoa. Agree that Tom Cruise in the role was laughable

Just saw the clip during football commercial. Thank goodness! Look forward to the Reacher series and an appropriate sized Reacher!

I like the books but havenโ€™t read them all. Honestly, I also enjoyed the movies despite Cruise being a poor choice for the character.

I do like the pick for the Amazon series. He is good in the role of โ€œHawkโ€ on Titans.

Last edited:
Yup, top notch series of books that will continue since Lee Child is passing the writing on to his younger brother, Andrew (Child) Grant.

I love the books as well. Tom Cruise was definitely not Jack reacher but he was pretty good in the movie if you didnโ€™t know anything about the character from the books. That being said I heard that in the new series with Jack reacher the actor will look real similar to the character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't know there were books, and thought the movies were decent. So.. just waiting for this one to come out I guess.

I didnโ€™t realize there was a trailer out and I just saw it. Iโ€™m stoked to see this! That dude looks just about what you would picture from the books. Ass kicker all the way around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The books are clear about the advantage of his huge size, so little Tommy was never convincing.

I haven't read the books, so Tom Cruise was fine. I'd have a different opinion if I'd read the books. The books give you the picture of the protagonist and to see anything else is disappointing.

The books are great - the movies were fine, this is hopefully going to be awesome. I think he's a better cast than Cruise, though I would almost argue that Cruise has the better physique but not size. The Reacher that I think of in my mind is not a "buff" guy, he's just a big guy. I don't dislike it, but that's just not what I see after reading 20+ books.

The books are great - the movies were fine, this is hopefully going to be awesome. I think he's a better cast than Cruise, though I would almost argue that Cruise has the better physique but not size. The Reacher that I think of in my mind is not a "buff" guy, he's just a big guy. I don't dislike it, but that's just not what I see after reading 20+ books.
I would agree, that's how I always read them too. I'm a bit behind in the series I'm sure. Something about having a young child cuts into time for everything, not just golf ๐Ÿ˜†

I have also read most of the books , and that is why Tiny Tom is comic in the role. My wife has not read any and thinks he is great.....

I'll agree with many of the sentiments in that I was entertained by both movies. Great books that were adapted well to the big screen.

I thought the Jack Reacher movies were fine. Obviously Tom Cruise didn't match the description, but not to many guys match Reacher's description.

I've read at least 10 books from this series. Cruise might be a good actor but he's not Reacher. The trailer looks good.

I have all the reacher books besides the last one in my library. I'd read 3 or 4 but am reading the very first one now. the first book is quite different then the later ones I've ready. Looking forward to the Amazon series

Iโ€™ve read all the books and I like a Jack Reacher tale. I liked the first Reacher movie despite the diminutive portrayal by Cruise. The second movie was pretty lame. Looking forward to this, although most books are much better than any screen adaptation.

Tom cruise cast in an action movie as anyone but a hobbit is a joke .. except top gun

I may give the books a read, they sound much better than the films

Tom cruise cast in an action movie as anyone but a hobbit is a joke .. except top gun

I may give the books a read, they sound much better than the films
They're really good. Like most any book versus the movie you get so much more detail and depth.

I may be alone on this island but I'm a massive fan of the Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child. I was bitterly disappointed to see Tom Cruise cast as Reacher in the two movies. I'm sorry (spoiler alert) but Reacher in the books is over 6'4 and huge, so seeing Cruise towered over by his co-star in the movies was tough to get past. Having just seen the preview for an Amazon series based on this beloved character I was thrilled that, while maybe I didn't recognize the actor, he at least looks taller than 5'7. The actor I pegged as Jack Reacher the first time I saw him was Clive Standen (Rollo from Vikings) but this guy at least looks more the part to me. Anyone else a fan of the books or have thoughts on this or it just me on nerd island tonight?
I saw the previews for the first time yesterday and couldnโ€™t agree more! This looks great and Iโ€™m definitely looking forward to it

Back