joining a club or staying public

i'm an associate member at two courses...total of $200 bucks and gets me discounted tee times and into any/all tourney's they have there (Glenbrook GC in Stroudsburg, PA and Picatinny Arsenal GC in NJ). might be worth looking into for the $ conscious golfer.

solid info there Breezy. I'm kind of nervous about meeting new members to play with. I had been playing with the same group of guys for the last 3+ years.
Dean I was really nervous for the first 3 months at the club and almost always played as a single and met a few members here or there. Then I decided I loved this club and I needed to be more active in the club and meet the guys and make golfing friends as I plan to be a member here for a long long time. I started going to Men's nights every wednesday, hanging out in the Men's lounge after rounds just to meet some of the guys, and playing in as many of the member events I could get into.

Then the Head guys at the clubshouse are a great resource if you can chat with them. They can tell you who are good guys, and try and get you into some member threesomes that are going out so you can play and meet the guys. Now that I'm a part of the Club and friends with a lot of the members the place is a lot more fun, and golf is more fun too. Playing with guys that you know, betting some money on the round and ribbing them about the shank they put in that pond on 18 on the last round so they better not go over there today. I'm really enjoying golf more being a member.

This has been on my mind a great deal lately. There is a local club about 15 minutes from me that is affordable (compared to many others), hosts the qualifiers for the John Deere Classic, and is pretty highly regarded. On the other hand, I have a public course about 35 minutes away that I like and it is cheaper. I thought buying a new vehicle pretty much ended any hopes I had in joining the club. Well, I was talking to Erica last night about it and she pretty much figured out a way for me to afford it by using a little peice of our tax money. Going to call them today so I can go tour the place!It doesn't have all the family ammenities - ie pool, tennis - that some other clubs do, but the course is supposed to be really nice, really challenging, and I have a few friends that belong there. For lack of a better word - yippee.
Very nice Hawk, enjoy!

solid info there Breezy. I'm kind of nervous about meeting new members to play with. I had been playing with the same group of guys for the last 3+ years.
Talk to the head pro and see if there are any groups out there that have standing times. Also, play all the MGA events! Great way to meet everyone esp. when they are scramble formats.

Dean I was really nervous for the first 3 months at the club and almost always played as a single and met a few members here or there. Then I decided I loved this club and I needed to be more active in the club and meet the guys and make golfing friends as I plan to be a member here for a long long time. I started going to Men's nights every wednesday, hanging out in the Men's lounge after rounds just to meet some of the guys, and playing in as many of the member events I could get into.

Then the Head guys at the clubshouse are a great resource if you can chat with them. They can tell you who are good guys, and try and get you into some member threesomes that are going out so you can play and meet the guys. Now that I'm a part of the Club and friends with a lot of the members the place is a lot more fun, and golf is more fun too. Playing with guys that you know, betting some money on the round and ribbing them about the shank they put in that pond on 18 on the last round so they better not go over there today. I'm really enjoying golf more being a member.
Great info there!

Just got off the phone with the pro and he is going to meet me there next Monday at 4pm for a tour.

He said that they have (in his opinion) the best range/short game practice area in the area outside of TPC Deere Run. I asked about tee times and he said that they don't use them as a smaller club. He said he'd help me find a good group if I wanted to play on weekend mornings since he knew everybody really well. Woot. I'm really excited about this. It will be nice not to have to wander so much.

Sounds good Hawk! Hope that works out for you!

Tap tap taparoo

Just got off the phone with the pro and he is going to meet me there next Monday at 4pm for a tour.

He said that they have (in his opinion) the best range/short game practice area in the area outside of TPC Deere Run. I asked about tee times and he said that they don't use them as a smaller club. He said he'd help me find a good group if I wanted to play on weekend mornings since he knew everybody really well. Woot. I'm really excited about this. It will be nice not to have to wander so much.
Yep, Yep! Let the golf pro work for you!

This sounds like the perfect situation for you buddy. Hope the tour goes smooth and you find what you are looking for. I like the club I joined but am considering upgrading later this year so to speak. Very cool to belong to a place and play as much as you want to, etc. Just a much different environment than your local muni with the camaraderie, etc.

I am very jealous of your situation bro. That sounds like an absolute blast!

Great news Hawk, take some pics for us so we can see this club in all its glory.

It would be nice to have some friends that didn't live on the internet.

Great news Hawk, take some pics for us so we can see this club in all its glory.

I assume it looks brown and ugly like everything around here right now haha. I will have to do that though.

It would be nice to have some friends that didn't live on the internet.
But we are the coolest. Where the hell is Jrod btw?

excellent info! Thanks breezy

I'm excited for you Hawk!

Very cool hawk, congrats. I know you will fit right in and make a ton of non-internet hacker friends there. Do these guy's know you are a true legend in the interweb world?

Thanks deano!

Very cool hawk, congrats. I know you will fit right in and make a ton of non-internet hacker friends there. Do these guy's know you are a true legend in the interweb world?

I try to keep that on the down low. I wish I could join your club, Duey. The only problem is that our women would hate it after we stumbled in the house crapfaced a few times.

Thanks deano!

I try to keep that on the down low. I wish I could join your club, Duey. The only problem is that our women would hate it after we stumbled in the house crapfaced a few times.

Haha, how cool would that be!! The poor club might ban the beercart girls from visiting us, lol.

I delayed my tour of the club until yesterday so the snow had a chance to melt. The head pro borrowed a maintenance cart and gave me a tour of the course. I was really impressed with the layout. It looks like it's going to be quite a bit more challenging than some of the courses in the area, but it also looks interesting, fair, and well maintained. Some good risk/reward holes as well.

One thing I liked is that they've been doing some redesign over the last two years, but have always been able to keep 18 playable holes open. They will have a brand new 18, which will be a strong par 5 that finishes right at the clubhouse with the deck from the bar overlooking the green.

I submitted my appliciation and hope to be playing there within a few weeks.

The website isn't the best - http://pinnaclecountryclub.com/Home.html -, but it's got some pictures and a scorecard, which needs to be updated with the new changes.

This is a 350-ish yard par 4. The tee is actually 80 feet above the fairway. It's extremely tight, but a good drive should clear that chute.
PICT0211.jpg

This is the green of the 2nd hole, as shorter par 3.
411218-R1-E002_002.jpg

looks nice man, and by the slop, looks nice and tough....enjoy!

Nice Hawk! That is a tight drive. Can you just fly all of the trees?

looks nice man, and by the slop, looks nice and tough....enjoy!

Yea, it rates pretty tough, but it didn't look unplayable or anything. There were plenty of holes that you could feel fine taking a driver to.

Nice Hawk! That is a tight drive. Can you just fly all of the trees?

If you hit it well, he said that you could clear them from the right tee box. There is more room to the right than it appears on the tee, but anything left is dead.

If you hit it well, he said that you could clear them from the right tee box. There is more room to the right than it appears on the tee, but anything left is dead.

That would not be good for me. POWER FADE!!!!

Yea, it rates pretty tough, but it didn't look unplayable or anything. There were plenty of holes that you could feel fine taking a driver to.

thats cool, maybe you can get on the board there and bring the website into the 21st century!

Back