joining a club or staying public

I just go to a semi-private course, I find the benefits of both municipal and private exist there. Since it's our university course, we host lots of NCAA competitions so there is always times that it is full with our teams but it's a fancy enough course that I don't mind. Also as a student I pay $6 to walk everyday when others pay up to $50 for the same so I'm happy doing that.

Also my membership fee is $90 a month if I want to do that since I'm a student

When I first taught myself to play golf, I spent about a year practicing at a driving range before I set foot on a golf course (I didn't want to humiliate myself on a course). As a result, I learned to appreciate the luxury of practicing shots repeatedly (draws, fades, knock downs, high shots, etc.) that playing on a golf course didn't afford.

If I none of my gambling friends are available to join me for a round of golf, then I'd rather spend an hour or two working practicing on the range (and save my socializing for the course).
I do the same things when I play by myself, hit different shots from different areas and practice chipping and putting from real lies and on real greens.

Of course this is if the course is pretty open.

Out of curiosity I checked the local pubs membership pricing and it's almost the same as the private course. And at least there I get a pool.

After the club I belonged to closed - the owner filed bankruptcy - I have come to the conclusion that I can play 4 to 5 or more times a month almost anywhere in this area for less than what a membership costs. All I care about is the golf. The bar, restaurant, swimming pool, tennis courts, etc. that comes with most club memberships is not important to me at all.

For me, pace of play is a bigger issue. My semi-private facility weekend rounds are 4:30 on a good weekend day, but usually more like 4:45 or 5 hours+. Add in the 45 min commute each way and a after round beverage its a 9hour day. With 3 kids (including 2 that are 2 and under) it just isn't working at home. Must public courses in the City just about as bad with pace of play unless you are out at the crack of dawn (plus most of the courses around the city aren't in very good shape.

Back