Is Taylor Swift the biggest singer/entertainer ever?

The reason she has so many top hit songs right now is more due to the complete lack of other choices than it is how good she is. Music these days is complete crap.

As a couple other astute THP'ers have said, The Beatles. They were a force in music unlike anyone before or that will come after.
Agreed. Will never see anything like that again.

She did make the switch from Country to Pop, which I think is a testament to her business savvy, but to me its not as impressive musically as Lady Gaga doing Pop and singing from the "Great American Songbook" (convincingly) with Tony Bennett.

Musically, she puts Taylor to absolute shame. Not even in the same building talent wise.

Adele and Lady Gaga would be a hell of a show, come to think of it.

I am a big Swifty fan. I flipped tickets to one of her concerts and bought new wedges :ROFLMAO:

But actually, she is phenomenal. For any haters, Id challenge you to listen to her new album.

I am a big Swifty fan. I flipped tickets to one of her concerts and bought new wedges :ROFLMAO:

But actually, she is phenomenal. For any haters, Id challenge you to listen to her new album.

Is that chart real?

Is that chart real?
Yes. Right now, for first time ever, all top ten songs are from a female artist, and they're all Taylor Swift.

Again, she IS the music industry.

My daughter loves T Swizzle, but even my 11 year old said, "Dad, there are no instruments on this album."

This is the reason I don't like her music. It's just a simple electronic beat and a couple synth or bass hits and a vocal line. My entire music education was instrumental, so there is absolutely nothing to chew on for me.

I actually like her older country stuff and acoustic guitar stuff more, because there is a full instrumentation.

Musically, she puts Taylor to absolute shame. Not even in the same building talent wise.

Adele and Lady Gaga would be a hell of a show, come to think of it.

Adele and Lady Gaga are both absolute vocal powerhouses. Vocally Taylor isn't even in the same zip code.

Lyrically, I would argue Taylor is better, and a lot of people I think put significant stock in that. For ME, lyrics are secondary, music is first.

This is the reason I don't like her music. It's just a simple electronic beat and a couple synth or bass hits and a vocal line. My entire music education was instrumental, so there is absolutely nothing to chew on for me.

I actually like her older country stuff and acoustic guitar stuff more, because there is a full instrumentation.

This is where I end up too. My "other" hobby is playing Jazz saxophone. For me a strong melody and interesting chord changes, along with compelling lyrics, are what make a song great. Much of my playing is in a big band and nothing can top the way the charts played by the Basie band backing up Frank Sinatra enhance those great songs.

Please note what I am not saying....I am not a "hater" (a much overused word these days) of Taylor Swift or her success (after all she is a part time RI'er :D) but like @SkiBumGolfer golfer, there is nothing to chew on in her music for me either.

Adele and Lady Gaga are both absolute vocal powerhouses. Vocally Taylor isn't even in the same zip code.

Lyrically, I would argue Taylor is better, and a lot of people I think put significant stock in that. For ME, lyrics are secondary, music is first.
I would be curious how much she actually writes of her own songs, or how much the cat who is credited on 11 of the 13 just like her writes them.

Goes for any artist just the same.

Vocally, yeah she’s not even close to the pipes of the other two.

This is where I end up too. My "other" hobby is playing Jazz saxophone. For me a strong melody and interesting chord changes are what make a song great. Much of my playing is in a big band and nothing can top the way the charts played by the Basie band backing up Frank Sinatra enhance those great songs.

Please note what I am not saying....I am not a "hater" (a much overused word these days) of Taylor Swift or her success (after all she is a part time RI'er :D) but like @SkiBumGolfer golfer, there is nothing to chew on in her music for me either.

Interesting, I have a history in saxophone as well, though I haven't played much lately. My music listening these days is either hard rock, metal, jazz, or alt country - other than alt country, all place an emphasis on the instrumentalists.

Although as I said regarding Adele/Gaga, I will still appreciate the hell out of a true powerhouse performer even if it's outside of my usual sandbox. TSwift just doesn't do anything technically interesting to me.

I've heard her concerts are amazing but I don't think she's in the same realm as MJ, Garth or Elvis. Look at Garth alone, the dude sells out 5-6 shows at a time in one city. That's pretty unbelievable.

It’s also very hard to compare TS to MJ cause in MJ era, there were no streaming platforms. You had to go out and physically buy the record / cassette / cd.

Now, with streaming available in everyone’s pocket, it’s much more easily accessible….

It’s kind of like the Tiger vs. Jack comparison. We can talk to it. But it was different eras.

It’s also very hard to compare TS to MJ cause in MJ era, there were no streaming platforms. You had to go out and physically buy the record / cassette / cd.

Now, with streaming available in everyone’s pocket, it’s much more easily accessible….

It’s kind of like the Tiger vs. Jack comparison. We can talk to it. But it was different eras.

much easier to try everything too.

I think it's hard to have a Taylor Swift discussion on a mostly male golf forum LOL. Like i'm not really a fan of her music....

But in terms of her impact on pop culture and success....shes gotta be in the discussion. She's had several years of being the top earning artist, she's had the top selling tours. I read once there was a measurable change in voter registration when she told people to vote a few years back. I mean she's not in our wheelhouse, but young women and girls LOVE Taylor Swift

I have no problem with people saying Michael Jackson, of course

Interesting to me nobody has compared her to Madonna. I don't even think she comes close to her. As previously said, Gaga, Adele AND Madonna are all significantly more talented IMO. Swift has more sex appeal and she does write most of her own music which there's something to be said for. The majority of hit artists....especially in country...don't do that. That said, swift has some very good tracks. Those charts should be taken with a grain of salt though.

It’s not comparing like with like , different mediums of musical expression …

If all we’re measured on par , then she wouldn’t get a spot in the chorus , there are many of far greater ability than her.

If I remember, the first of the three folkier albums was more instrumental. Being more electric synth based allows for faster releases, good or bad, there's still some smartness happening with the composition, but I do agree that it's not the same as a live drum track.

If I remember, the first of the three folkier albums was more instrumental. Being more electric synth based allows for faster releases, good or bad, there's still some smartness happening with the composition, but I do agree that it's not the same as a live drum track.

I agree, there is definitely some composition skill involved, but yeah it's not the same at all. I think you are correct about the first of those albums, and I don't mind that one.

Michael was the biggest and he died at 51. He could have easily came out with several more hit albums.

The Beatles were the biggest till MJ

No, There just isn't much competition for her. Todays music sucks.

She's coming to MN June 24th.... I'm sure I'll have to get a few tix for my 2 teenagers...

But to be honest - her last concert that we took them to about 5 years ago wasn't too bad... Besides that, I may have been one of 500 men in a crowd of 50,000....

I’ve somehow escaped seeing her live. My wife and at least one of my daughters have not missed one of her concert tours going back to 2009. I’m sure my 17 year old will be at the concert in MN 6/24.

I’ll pass and be at the lake drinking a beer next to a bonfire. :)

Back