Is Golf A Sport?

• YES!

Votes: 157 94.6%
  • NO!

Votes: 9 5.4%

• Total voters
Just like everyone is not genius, everyone is not an athlete, that simple, anyone can play golf at any level, matching there skill against the best in the world, you put an average person on a football field or a hockey rink, they could literally die out there, because they dont have the agility, the speed, the strength, the quickness....

Well you just said nascar IS a sport because if you or me raced in daytona later this month we would DIE!!! so, thanx:egyptian:

Seems like with all of the definitions that the word sport has it is a pretty meaningless word.

I'm going to stick with my dictionary's definition though and go indulge in at least 3 sports at once, I'll have to brain storm and see if I can get that number up. :D

Can someone please post a video of a golf ball hitting a steel plate at 150mph please? Anything to distract the bs that is flowing throughout this thread.

Bridges in football after high school level, its way more mental than physical, being out of position or not doing your job is what gets you beat, because the physical makes your mental go to hell, you always hear football annoucers say that was a blown coverage, thats mental....I played college football me and my brother. And my dad played college and NFL ball, its mental at that level. Vince Young is a great athlete, he sucks in the NFL because he is playing other great athletes, his mental sucks!!! Peyton Manning is not the athlete Vince is but his mental kills!!!

Im not arguing that football doesnt take anything mental, not saying that at all because it clearly takes a lot. Im just saying, in my opinion I think golf is way more mental than football. I mean you can still rely on your athletic ability to make you be good. See CJ2K, that guy isnt smart at all but he has athletic ability. In golf if your mind is not right that day, then your scores will suffer. Just my opinion though.

So based on your thoughts, you must have speed, quickness, physical endurance, mental toughness, power, etc...But must you declare a winner?
I am guessing Horse racing must be the biggest of them all based on your criteria right?
What about sprinting? Many sprinters will self admittedly tell you that they lack any endurance at all, would that not be a sport because of that?
David Ortiz is a heck of a hitter in MLB, but lacks quite a few of the traits you listed, does that make the games he played in less of a sport?

I think some are confusing athleticism with sport. Because all of the items you list are considered athletic traits and by your own admission (listing sports) many of the players do not have all of these traits. Sure they might have some, but certainly not all. The same could go in reverse. Someone that has all of these traits might stink at many competitions, that does not mean they are less of a sport.

You say in this post that "sport is something that requires....". But if the participants or some of them have that, does that make it an automatic sport? Or if some dont, is it eliminated.

I also think just like with every other part of golf compared to the rest of the sporting world, people compare recreational golf to other sports, but do not do the same in reverse. Recreational golf is not even the same game as what is being played on tour.

Im sorry JB but if you think that it doesnt take speed and quickness to hit a 100mph baseball then I am truly at a lost for words....and sprinters dont lack the endurance that is required for their sport JB.

I have played sports my whole life and was athletic enough to get a basketball scholorship to college and i say racin is 100% a sport, so your theory while hilarious:rolleyes: doesnt hold a bit of water.

Wait, so if you play college sports that means everything you say is true? :alien:

Well you just said nascar IS a sport because if you or me raced in daytona later this month we would DIE!!! so, thanx:egyptian:

I wouldnt die, I wouldnt drive that fast and everyone would lap me. Racing is not a sport.

And require the endurance, quickness or speed that they need to excel at their sport. Youre really digging your own hole on this one.
Im sorry JB but if you think that it doesnt take speed and quickness to hit a 100mph baseball then I am truly at a lost for words....and sprinters dont lack the endurance that is required for their sport JB.

Wait, so if you play college sports that means everything you say is true? :alien:

I never said if you play college sports everything you say is true i only used that reference as it related to the mental aspect of football as you get higher.

Same with PGA Tour golf. Mental needs to be tougher as you get closer to PGATour golf.
I never said if you play college sports everything you say is true i only used that reference as it related to the mental aspect of football as you get higher.

As you see, I didnt quote you when I was saying that. Just giving smooth a hard time with his comment. Wasnt directed at you lol

I have to disagree. I'm an ELITE hacker lol.

I have no anger Bridges...life is short we are just having discussion, at the end of the day we are all hackers, and this is The Hackers Paradise baby!!! LOL

Same with PGA Tour golf. Mental needs to be tougher as you get closer to PGATour golf.

You guys are confusing why i used that reference. The best golfers make the fewest mistakes more than they pull off the best shots, I never debated the mental of golf, not once. I simply said golf is not a sport and all of you are upset. Let me say this, golf requires no athleticism to be good at.

To the OP, my apologies for my continued threadjack, but this point bothers me.

Mustang, read this on an F1 drivers' athleticism:
http://www.f1technical.net/articles/1125
These guys are athletes in the highest standing, and based on your definition and dictionary definitions, racing is a sport.

Where did I say that. Please dont put words in my mouth. But there are other traits that are involved that you yourself mentioned. You cannot just pick 2 to go with a player to try and make the argument when you listed 7 or so in your post.

JB, sport is something that requires, speed, agility, quickness, physical endurance, mental toughness, power and competition. Examples: football, hockey, track, baseball, basketball, soccer, rugby, tennis....etc. If I just base it off of competition, keeping score, or declaring a winner....by those paremeters(sp?) card games would be sports, sorry guys but poker is not a sport just because they show it on ESPN, beer pong, video games....sports require athleticism, can you approach games as sports, sure you can, that Asian food eater trains for the competitve eating, people train for piano recitals too, Tiger treats golf as a sport and now so does everyone else as it relates to training, but just because you treat something like a sport doesnt make it a sport. Just because people treat their animals like human beings as I do with my dogs, at the end of the day I love my dogs Hector and Achilles, but they are still dogs.

You just described evey ability a nascar driver must have in order to race in a nascar race and not die ..... but, to you they arent athletes nor is racing a sport, :laughing:

You just described evey ability a nascar driver must have in order to race in a nascar race and not die ..... but, to you they arent athletes nor is racing a sport, :laughing:

It's true...

-1! Rep given!

That is the most false statement I have ever heard. If you dont need speed or accuracy, how can you be good at golf?

I dont care what rep points you give me, lol, a joke. And when did accuracy become an athletic trait??? Give yourself -1 for that. Some one with a strong are throws the ball far, how accurate they are has to do with the touch, feel, and timing of the throw. Accuracy is an evaluation of your talent, the finished product, not an athletic trait.

No I just described every attribute that their cars posess, i never hear a nascar driver say anything about the error they made physically, never its always mental or the tracks fault or they say we just didnt have a fast car today, its all dependent upon the vehicle and smart decisions, tony stewart=non-athlete

I dont care what rep points you give me, lol, a joke. And when did accuracy become an athletic trait??? Give yourself -1 for that. Some one with a strong are throws the ball far, how accurate they are has to do with the touch, feel, and timing of the throw. Accuracy is an evaluation of your talent, the finished product, not an athletic trait.

and speed is the touch, feel and timing of the legs to move the body as fast as possible.

JB, sport is something that requires, speed, agility, quickness, physical endurance, mental toughness, power and competition. Examples: football, hockey, track, baseball, basketball, soccer, rugby, tennis....etc. If I just base it off of competition, keeping score, or declaring a winner....by those paremeters(sp?) card games would be sports, sorry guys but poker is not a sport just because they show it on ESPN, beer pong, video games....sports require athleticism, can you approach games as sports, sure you can, that Asian food eater trains for the competitve eating, people train for piano recitals too, Tiger treats golf as a sport and now so does everyone else as it relates to training, but just because you treat something like a sport doesnt make it a sport. Just because people treat their animals like human beings as I do with my dogs, at the end of the day I love my dogs Hector and Achilles, but they are still dogs.

:eek:fftopic: Achilles is a very clever name for a dog, almost as good as Stains

Where did I say that. Please dont put words in my mouth. But there are other traits that are involved that you yourself mentioned. You cannot just pick 2 to go with a player to try and make the argument when you listed 7 or so in your post.

You used David Ortiz, correct? I think he has all those attributes personally.

and speed is the touch, feel and timing of the legs to move the body as fast as possible.

point of post was in response that accuracy is not an athletic trait. read.

You used David Ortiz, correct? I think he has all those attributes personally.

Really? I guess that says everything it needs to. Enjoy your debate.

Just in case others missed it, this is what Mustng is saying David Ortiz has attributes of.

"speed, agility, quickness, physical endurance, mental toughness, power and competition"

Back