Introducing Swingbyte

Those measurements are all dependent on how the swingbyte is mounted. If it is not perfectly square (3:00), and, perfectly lined up with the club face, the numbers will be off. A better measurement would be the difference between the face angles at impact vs. address, which, I think they are going to implement in an update. But, until the update, I would ignore the flight path description.
I agree with this summary. Try playing around with it and move it a bit over each side and try and hit the same shots. See when it starts indicating a draw. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I also think that flight is a guess depending on club face at impact so it might be a little off on your mount.

For those interested in participating in the beta, please send an email with the email you used to sign up for your swingbyte account to

beta(AT)swingbyte(DOT)com

We are doing a limited beta over the next few days as things stabilize. We'll send instructions later tonight.

Thanks,
Alex.

kolosy, I'd love to be part of the beta testing group, add me to the list!

The beta is very cool. I can't wait to export stuff. Very cool!

I agree with this summary. Try playing around with it and move it a bit over each side and try and hit the same shots. See when it starts indicating a draw. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I also think that flight is a guess depending on club face at impact so it might be a little off on your mount.

Well, therein lies the problem. When the device moves or twists in the course of the swing (which it does with the current mounting system, whether the movement of the device is noticeable or not......it does move), any data that's dependent on the alignment of the device on the shaft is unreliable. BTW, I have hit quite a few balls with the Swingbyte on the shaft and refuse to believe that out of all those shots, that not once did i have the initial alignment of the SB where it should have been. It's not rocket science to align the device at 3 oclock. This leads me to believe that the movement of the device leads to it always registering an open clubface for me at impact.

In any case, I have the replacement device as of last night and will try to hit the range tonight to try it out. Otherwise, I am eagerly awaiting the new and improved mounting system.

Well, therein lies the problem. When the device moves or twists in the course of the swing (which it does with the current mounting system, whether the movement of the device is noticeable or not......it does move), any data that's dependent on the alignment of the device on the shaft is unreliable. BTW, I have hit quite a few balls with the Swingbyte on the shaft and refuse to believe that out of all those shots, that not once did i have the initial alignment of the SB where it should have been. It's not rocket science to align the device at 3 oclock. This leads me to believe that the movement of the device leads to it always registering an open clubface for me at impact.

In any case, I have the replacement device as of last night and will try to hit the range tonight to try it out. Otherwise, I am eagerly awaiting the new and improved mounting system.
Yea, I think that's it, wait for the new mounting system and wait for the alignment change that they are working on. Sounds like they are being very proactive in making these changes that are being presented to them.

Is this a beta for an app update or a beta for their web thing?
web beta. send them an email and you should be able to try it out.

Yea, I think that's it, wait for the new mounting system and wait for the alignment change that they are working on. Sounds like they are being very proactive in making these changes that are being presented to them.
I hope the new mounting system fixes the open clubface/alignment issues/SB moving during swing. As it is, it just doesn't work that well (monting system that is) the data is fantastic but without consistency, it's worthless.

I hope the new mounting system fixes the open clubface/alignment issues/SB moving during swing. As it is, it just doesn't work that well (monting system that is) the data is fantastic but without consistency, it's worthless.

Well as i've been saying in my previous posts, I think that the data that's NOT dependent on how the device is aligned on the shaft is consistent and very worthwhile. For example, I don't see how club head speed is dependent on how the device is aligned so no matter how much it twists on the shaft, this data point should be consistent from swing to swing. The swing path is probably not dependent on alignment as well and is nice to see that swing path visually (of course angle of face to path and stuff like that is dependent on how the device is aligned on the shaft and making sure it doesn't move at all, so this is most definitely useless data).

The bottom line is exercise some common sense when interpreting and analyzing the data based on current issues with the device and I WOULD NOT recommend trying to initiate any swing changes based on the data points that are dependent on device alignment on the shaft.

Might disagree with you a bit on this right now. You can still get plenty of information on your club path leading to impact and swing speed seems to still be pretty accurate.

There is a new update for the Android version.

Might disagree with you a bit on this right now. You can still get plenty of information on your club path leading to impact and swing speed seems to still be pretty accurate.
I guess that was a bit over zealous, it's just not as useful as i'd like it to be. I still really like it, really do. I really like the club path, SS, and 3D images; those things seem consistent, but everything else needs updated.

Requested Beta access yesterday and no response. They may already have enough 'help'.

Hi Alex,

I've hit 100 balls with SB in the driving range and observed 3 things were not quite accurate (I hope I did something wrong...).

1. 'Face to address' was always Open even if my club face was square at address.

2. 'Face to path' was always Open even when the actual ball flight was hook.

3. SwingData in the swing history provided wrong ball flight description, i.e. Pushslice or StraightSlice when the actual ball flight was Straight or Draw.

I really hope I did something wrong.... Let me know what I might have done wrong and what I can try differently. Apart from the 3 points above, I love this device.

Thank you Alex.

Jay

Jay - as folks mentioned, the positioning of the device at 3 o'clock (if you're a righty) matters to face to path and the ball flight metric. also - ball flight is a generalization, we don't know what part of the club face made contact with the ball, and just assume it was a center hit.

Face to address is the angle between the club face at address and the club face at impact, so if you had it square at address, but hit it slightly open, you'll see an open value.

If this doesn't clarify - please shoot a note to [email protected], we'll see if there's something else going on.

Guys - I need 3 volunteers to try out a prototype of the mounting tabs. DM me if you're interested.

Guys - I need 3 volunteers to try out a prototype of the mounting tabs. DM me if you're interested.

Ohhhhhhh me, me, use me!!!

All gone!

Thanks guys, i'll be sending PMs shortly with details.

Those measurements are all dependent on how the swingbyte is mounted. If it is not perfectly square (3:00), and, perfectly lined up with the club face, the numbers will be off. A better measurement would be the difference between the face angles at impact vs. address, which, I think they are going to implement in an update. But, until the update, I would ignore the flight path description.

If this is true then purposely putting the device at 5 oclock (more under the club) would result in consistent errors the other way (ie reading closed even when open) Does this happen?

If this is true then purposely putting the device at 5 oclock (more under the club) would result in consistent errors the other way (ie reading closed even when open) Does this happen?

for path and face to path, yes. and if you put it too far under, you'll stop getting captures at all, as we have logic that checks whether something is a swing, and won't display erroneous data.

Well summarised, exactly same observation as mine. I have tried to mount with slightly different angles between 2:00 and 4:00 and it didnt help. None of them displayed correct Face to Adress, Fact to Impact and Shot description. Also, the SB moved after a swing.

Looking forward to hearing about the new testing result from ERdiesel and from Alex

So an update from my range session from last night with a replacement Swingbyte that was sent to me due to the fact that I couldn't get my original SB to register a closed face at impact. First, I aligned the device at 3oclock and worked with 3/4 PW shots since I know those wedge shots are fairly consistent from a swing to swing perspective. As before, everything was registering as an open face at impact with an out to in swing path with the flight description showing as some kind of slice despite hitting the ball straight. So I decided to turn the device slightly counter clockwise to about 2oclock and voila, instantly getting closed face and in to out swing path. this is with the replacement device (unfortunately I was not able to connect to the original device but was able to resolve this after my range session so will try in another day or so). If I turn the device clockwise, then I get a severely open face and out to in swing path. This then raises the question...........how do you know that you've dialed in this 3oclock setting? When I align the device at what I believe to be 3oclock with the grooves, apparently the device doesn't have the same idea of what 3 oclock is, so how is one supposed to know how to EXACTLY dial this position in? Seems to me what the SW folks should do is:

1) First ensure once mounted, device doesn't turn (will turn clockwise during a swing is my observation, which leads to open club face and out to in path readings). - This they are working on.

2) Secondly, it seems to me that alot of measurements are based off the assumption that the user will be able to exactly fix the position of the device at 3oclock, which I don't believe is the case given how sensitive the device is. And it also seems that all measurements dependent on the alignment of the device assumes an exact 3oclock position (which most users will not achieve), so my thought is why not allow the user to align the device as close to 3oclock as possible, then go into the app or something and then "set" this alignment as the device's square or 3oclock position. It might turn out the actual position is more 2oclock than 3, but doesn't matter, if all measurements are relative to the starting alignment at address compared to alignment at impact, than the algorithms should be able to calculate the difference between the two (assuming device has no movement during the swing) and know whether you brought the club in open/closed in-out/out-in based on the difference in impact to address. hope that makes sense.

3) See 1, ensure device does not move during the swing at all or all is for naught.

So an update from my range session from last night with a replacement Swingbyte that was sent to me due to the fact that I couldn't get my original SB to register a closed face at impact. First, I aligned the device at 3oclock and worked with 3/4 PW shots since I know those wedge shots are fairly consistent from a swing to swing perspective. As before, everything was registering as an open face at impact with an out to in swing path with the flight description showing as some kind of slice despite hitting the ball straight. So I decided to turn the device slightly counter clockwise to about 2oclock and voila, instantly getting closed face and in to out swing path. this is with the replacement device (unfortunately I was not able to connect to the original device but was able to resolve this after my range session so will try in another day or so). If I turn the device clockwise, then I get a severely open face and out to in swing path. This then raises the question...........how do you know that you've dialed in this 3oclock setting? When I align the device at what I believe to be 3oclock with the grooves, apparently the device doesn't have the same idea of what 3 oclock is, so how is one supposed to know how to EXACTLY dial this position in? Seems to me what the SW folks should do is:

1) First ensure once mounted, device doesn't turn (will turn clockwise during a swing is my observation, which leads to open club face and out to in path readings). - This they are working on.

2) Secondly, it seems to me that alot of measurements are based off the assumption that the user will be able to exactly fix the position of the device at 3oclock, which I don't believe is the case given how sensitive the device is. And it also seems that all measurements dependent on the alignment of the device assumes an exact 3oclock position (which most users will not achieve), so my thought is why not allow the user to align the device as close to 3oclock as possible, then go into the app or something and then "set" this alignment as the device's square or 3oclock position. It might turn out the actual position is more 2oclock than 3, but doesn't matter, if all measurements are relative to the starting alignment at address compared to alignment at impact, than the algorithms should be able to calculate the difference between the two (assuming device has no movement during the swing) and know whether you brought the club in open/closed in-out/out-in based on the difference in impact to address. hope that makes sense.

3) See 1, ensure device does not move during the swing at all or all is for naught.

What you're suggesting is the equivalent of a "tare" option on a scale (ignore what you (the device) think the current value is, assume the current value is 0 and go from there). unfortunately that doesn't work - ultimately the device sees all swings the same, putting it at 3 o'clock is just a way for us to understand your frame of reference.

so - two things. one, the attachment changes will solve 1). it's a top priority for us. as far as attaching exactly at 3 o'clock, for most people a 1 degree difference is within their tolerance (and something you can eyeball). for those that want a higher degree of precision, we're putting together an alignment tool that you'll be able to use to get that higher degree of accuracy.

What you're suggesting is the equivalent of a "tare" option on a scale (ignore what you (the device) think the current value is, assume the current value is 0 and go from there). unfortunately that doesn't work - ultimately the device sees all swings the same, putting it at 3 o'clock is just a way for us to understand your frame of reference.

so - two things. one, the attachment changes will solve 1). it's a top priority for us. as far as attaching exactly at 3 o'clock, for most people a 1 degree difference is within their tolerance (and something you can eyeball). for those that want a higher degree of precision, we're putting together an alignment tool that you'll be able to use to get that higher degree of accuracy.

Yup, "zeroing" out the alignment so that YOU can set the initial frame of reference by which all swings are measured as opposed to requiring some preset location that is subject to human error in achieving (and even then not even knowing if it was achieved since the device can't tell you if the alignment is correct or not - device will always assume the alignment is at 3oclock regardless) is what I was suggesting. Would solve some problems but sounds like that is not possible. Am interested in how your alignment tool would work though. I'm sure there might be people out there who could come up with some clever ways of ensuring a good alignment (contest opportunity perhaps?)...........but once again, even if you did achieve the "perfect" alignment, how could you tell?

Back