Increased swing speed

I move the ball up a bit, tee it a little higher, open and widen my stance a tiny bit and focus on swinging straight back from the ball as far as possible and try to push my arms up as high over my head as possible making a bigger turn than normal with a little more leg action before coming back down and hit a high power fade. As long as I don't try to swing too hard, just swing full, I can get another 20 yards at least that way over my normal more controlled driver swing which is a lower trajectory draw.

If you get 20 yards with a fade and you don't over swing, why not use this action off every tee? A high fade is easier to control then a mid flight draw

You know what's funny freddie? When I swing harder, faster or try to get more, I get less. I'm finding that if I can put a good swing on it, and center the ball, I get better distance. Funny how that works.

im starting to realize this more and more too... i can still crank it pretty good but i recently found a groove for my driving especially and i just try to accelerate at the one point in my swing and ive made better contact which is giving me the same distance as me trying to crush it and its going straight a lot more before. before i just tried cranking one up and swinging harder at it. now i honestly just try to keep my driver swing the same every time and if i need more distance with an iron i just club up and take a little off. its been such a huge change for me i always tried to just swing harder and sometimes that worked but lately im all about being accurate over getting distance so an easy 8 is more accurate for me than a crushed 9 most of the time.

I'm with TC: the moment I try to put a kill swing on my shots (irons and driver) it all goes horribly wrong. Either I lose distance or completely lose accuracy. Smooth tempo and a more conscious effort to use my hips usually gets me a playable fade that gets out there far enough.

I used to try to swing harder with my arms with very poor results. I just try to rotate faster on the downswing. Same backswing.

keep the top half totally relaxed arms and wrists to. amazed at what extra speed you will get

I am wondering what the general view is on increasing swing speed. If you need some extra yardage how do you go about it? How do you pump it up?
Faster arms? More torque? Swing harder and faster from the top? Tell me
how you go about it.
Right now, I don't. If I need extra yardage I find it by taking more club and gripping down.

To crank it up I slow down mentally and during the swing focus on the weight transfer so that my weight is mostly in my front foot. Only way I have found is to focus more. Any harder swing / faster turn thoughts may give me more "total" distance but it's usually shorter forward and longer sideways.....

I try to take a bigger turn with the same tempo as my normal swing. My swing thought is to get my hands/arms just a bit further back/up in the backswing. The hard part is to NOT get too quick in the swing.

That's what I would suggest also.
This is assuming that you already have a great release point on the wrist hinge.

Personally when feel the need to try and play catch up with my big hitter friends I focus even more on hips, tempo, and making sure I don't cast as bad.

Trying to kill the ball results in weak slices for me. This is caused by speeding up my tempo, and dramatically shortening by turn back throwing me out of sync for crappy contact and an OTT move that decelerates at impact.

When I'm swinging well and nuking the driver is when I make a smooth, controlled backswing wherre I maximize my shoulder turn with a quiet lower body, then start the downswing equally slowly. This puts my club in the right plane and allows my lower body and hips time to uncoil first creating maximum speed at the ball instead of before. When I do this, I crush the drives. Unfortunately, the muscle between my shoulders prevents me from doing this much of the time.

I am wondering what the general view is on increasing swing speed. If you need some extra yardage how do you go about it? How do you pump it up?
Faster arms? More torque? Swing harder and faster from the top? Tell me
how you go about it.

With my driver, I am normally swinging around 95%. So there isn't much room for me to add anything to it. I might try for a fuller turn, but that is all.

With irons, I am normally swinging about 80%. When I want to add some speed, I try to feel a little more "oily" in my wrists and arms at address, and then really fire my hips through the ball during the swing. I can add about 15-20 yards to my stock iron shot this way.

With the woods, I just focus on getting wider with the swing.
With the irons, I try to compress more into the ground on the downswing.

keep the top half totally relaxed arms and wrists to. amazed at what extra speed you will get

THIS +1 easy sounding.. but harder to do than I think!!

The key, IMO, is to find that groove in the early holes with a smooth delivery. If you have control over that swing, pumping it up will work.
Increasing swing speed for me is a combo of chest and increased arm speed.

I think a lot of people in general go about it the wrong way. To me, there's two ways to do it. Either get a bigger angular displacement between your shoulders and hips at the top, or get more wrist hinge at the top. Both will increase SS.

Two of the biggest hitters in the game show this. If you look at the top of his swing, DJ's shoulders are turned back way further than his hips. This allows him to unload and get more speed on the way down.

At the top of Bubba's swing, his wrists are hinged more than just about anyone else's. His club goes very far past parallel, and that allows him to get more speed as he unhinges his wrists on the way down.

I'm currently working on both. I'm trying to become more comfortable as a ball striker with my wrists hinged a lot at the top, and I'm also working on my flexibility so I can twist more on my backswing.

Swing Speed

Swing Speed

Any good drills/practice aids to help improve my swing speed? It is very low right now, and I would like to improve it and hopefully see my driver distance increase some. Thanks in advance.

Turn your driver upside down and swing a few times, try to make the swooshing sound louder, then turn it the right way and swing with that same feeling

Damnit I thought this was gonna be a thread where you post your driver swing speed.

Damnit I thought this was gonna be a thread where you post your driver swing speed.

No one likes a bragger

I swing at 145 and hit the ball 360 :lol:

Tapin for bird

haha you're is like 130 or so huh haha I can barely hit 105

I was staying away from this thread for that exact reason!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back