How far would you drive for a free round?

fairband

#THPLegacy
Reaction score
Handicap
I ask this question because if you go to the Minnesota Golf Show you receive ten free rounds of golf. The courses are all fairly nice, but I have only used two or three a year because the courses vary from 12 miles to 84 miles away from my house.

The rounds come with restrictions, first off you must pay for a cart, usually after noon on weekends and anytime during the week. The all expire May 31st, how far would you venture to golf for "free?"

75 miles would seem about right...that would be about an hour and a half ride

2 hours max for a really nice course.

Depends on the course. I regularly drive 60+ miles to pay for rounds of golf. For free golf on a good/special course I would go further 120->150 miles no problem. For a bucket list type of course I am willing to drive quite a ways.

I drove 4 hours last year for an unofficial THP event! After this winter I'd driver a loooong way to play.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I drove 4 hours last year for an unofficial THP event! After this winter I'd driver a loooong way to play.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Same here Andy! Same here man. I plan on going up about 2 1/2 hours into Michigan this year as CJ insists on owing me a round for some reason. I'll take it tho!

I have gone 4 1/2 hours multiple occasions for free golf. Always two or more rounds on nice courses and at least one night stay. If it was just to go, play and drive home it would have to be no more that 1 1/5 hour drive.

I drive 75-100 miles into Houston to pay to play all the time....if the course is decent I would drive 100 miles + to play it.

And you guys talking about driving 4 Hours to a THP event.....meh....I drove over 16 hours to Des Moines for a THP event and stopped along the way to pick up Jman :D

I drive 5 hours round trip for a simulator once a week. I love driving so it could be out of state for me even if I had to pay.

I drive 75-100 miles into Houston to pay to play all the time....if the course is decent I would drive 100 miles + to play it.

And you guys talking about driving 4 Hours to a THP event.....meh....I drove over 16 hours to Des Moines for a THP event and stopped along the way to pick up Jman :D

And stopped in Kansas City for Chipotle!

10 hours if I liked the course and I would make a weekend out of it with the wife.

60-75 miles. 85 if Chipotle is involved.

50 miles or so since I'm still paying for cart....would also depend on quality of course

Totally depends. If it's just a free round on good course, maybe 75 miles. If it's a free round with friends, and it becomes like a thing...150 miles. If it's an THP event, maybe an 8-12 hour flight :D

Depends on the course and the playing companions. For a really nice course with friends, a 4 hour round trip would certainly be in the cards.

I'd probably go about an hour, 90 minutes if it was a really nice course. I'm spoiled though, since there's so many great courses up here. Well, when it's nice out, anyways!

An hour and a half is my limit for a day trip. Used to do that all the time to play with a group for no more than $20 for a great course.

IDK maybe 2 hours or so I would say.

Depends on the course. I regularly drive 60+ miles to pay for rounds of golf. For free golf on a good/special course I would go further 120->150 miles no problem. For a bucket list type of course I am willing to drive quite a ways.

Agree. Depends on the course. Around me, I'll double take on a free round at a course 10 minutes from my house, but would drop everything to go 60 miles to another. Quality of the course, schedule around that time, and pace of play are factors to me too. Would hate to drive nearly 2 hours for a 5.5 hour round...

I think 90 minutes would be my max. Would hate to drive to far and have the course be average or my game pitiful ;)

It depends on the quality of the course or who I'm playing with. I've driven pretty far for a good course and good people. The golf show deal sounds awesome, I'd hit all of them most likely.

How far would you drive for a free round?

A few weeks ago I drove 3 hours, 45 minutes to play a simulator round with a bunch of THPers...and I had to pay for it. Then when it was over, we grabbed a bite to eat, and I drove 3 hours, 45 minutes home. So if I'm willing to drive 7.5 hours to pay for fake golf, I'm not sure there's limit for me to drive for real golf, free or not, as long as THPers are involved.

Back