How consistent are your golf balls?

Ive been exclusively using Callaway XLS and CT the past 2 years and have never thought my ball wasn't consistent so I'll stick with these

I trust Callaway doing what they say and checking every ball that goes through their process to be consistent, so I'd say very.

There are about 90 process and product quality checks for the Pro V1 and AVX; and about 120 for the Pro V1x. One ball in 10 million is returned because of some kind of defect. Not at all worried about the consistency of a golf ball.

How much inaccuracy does a bad golf ball really contribute? Maybe an extra 1-2 yards on a low-spin flier?

If I have a 20 yard x 20 yard green in front of me, and I'm going at it with a 7 iron, I've got at least a coin flip chance of missing that sucker entirely.
Well it depends on what the issue is and who you ask.

We learned about Callaway's QC process at the Grandaddy, and I trust them 100%. I don't have access to a launch monitor, and even if I did, my swing brings a lot more inconsistency into the equation than the ball ever would, short of the ball being an outright dud.

I have used the OnCore Avant55 or the Srixon Softfeel for the last two years and they are fairly consistent and similar in performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I buy from Titleist or Callaway so I figure they’ve taken care of the quality control for me before they went in the sleeve.

I simply try my best to give them that same consistency with every swing, but I know they do a far better job than I do

I think that any top shelf ball is consistent enough for my swing. That includes some DTC balls.

Glass of warm water and enough epsom salt to make a golf ball float. I don't do it very often because I'm not that good but that's how I would do it if I were truly concerned.

My e6 balls are as consistent as my golf swing is.

I test the full swing carry yardages out of doors with all my clubs.

Around the green, that's what practice is for.

I just recently started dropping balls on concrete, and measuring the rebound effect (height) against a story pole line. If the ball reaches, or passes the line, they are still good to use for practice..

I found a ball in the rough the other day, looked OK and it was just a solo practice round so I decided to use it.

First tee shot was kind of strange, it just did a sudden hook-and-dive move and was on the ground 100 yards after I hit it with a driver. Not a shot I normally hit but my swings pretty rubbish at the moment so I thought it was me. Teed up one of my normal balls and played that instead.

Couple holes later, decided to hit that found ball on a Par 3. Even crazier. I swear it started out as a low cut and then reversed direction and juked the other way, ended up in the rough up near the green. Had a steep downhill chip from the rough. The ball landed on the green, rolled about 10 feet and stopped dead.

At that point I was pretty sure the ball was knackered. The only visible damage was a small area where a couple dimples were scuffed but it visibly looked entirely playable.

On the next hole, I hit my driver shot and then teed up with the weirdo ball to see what would happen. This time it just got about 10 feet off the ground for a while and then kind of pooped out, dropped to the ground and rolled. I toss it in the next waste bin I walked by.

Here's my point vis a vis this thread...

In that case, I was 100% sure something was off with that golf ball. But it has to be just about that bad for me not to think, even after 3-4 horrible shots, that maybe I'm just hitting it really, really, REALLY bad that day. :poop:

Blue Bloods GIF by ION

I've always played golf balls from major manufacturers
They're not making & selling junk, right?

I try to play one type ball for the entire round - most of the time that's easy. I will try a ball here and there and then just stock up. Today, played the Srixon Z Star XV I was pleasantly surprised. I think the regular Z Star is a better fit. I have a stockpile of Chrome Softs, Z-Star, Q-Star and a few others. Also played a Pro V 1 X today for a couple holes and it was great, Last round out played a TP 5 and it was surprisingly great. I may have a new ball, the thing is I have about 15 dozen on the shelf now.

Titleist is the best right?! They charge enough to be! :LOL:

If the one on the tee and the one in my pocket are the same brand, model, and number…..it’s a good day, Tater.

I read a lot of the golf spy ball reviews and compression guides. You’ll notice brands and their bad ball discussions there. And if it’s not a gen 1 type ball there aren’t the consistency issues. Once I know a ball is a second gen or later I know it’s consistent. Or feel it.

They're the same as the rest aren't they?
Over the long history of golf, there have definitely been periods when Titleist did better than "the rest" on quality and consistency. I think at the current time that may not be the case.

After a lot of bad publicity, Callaway in particular had to tighten up their Q/C. The kind of crude checks that MGS, for instance, does certainly don't guarantee consistent performance. But some of the stuff Callaway was shipping out several years ago was so awful there's no way it could possibly be consistent.

Remember that over half a century ago Titleist achieved its premium reputation by doing 100% manual inspection via X-Rays of their wound balls when nobody else in the industry could be arsed to even worry about it. Of course X-Rays or not, the balls people were happy to play in the mid-20th were absolute crap from a Q/C an consistency perspective. A sleeve of the cheapest urethane balls out of the lowliest factory in Asia nobody has ever heard of is going to be orders of magnitude more consistent than any Balata balls could have been back in the day.

I'd have to find someone with a consistent swing to test the balls on a monitor with say a 7i and PW. And then look at the numbers. My swing is just too variable to get any good data.

I'd have to find someone with a consistent swing to test the balls on a monitor with say a 7i and PW. And then look at the numbers. My swing is just too variable to get any good data.
Even with a swing robot it's going to be difficult, time consuming and expensive to quantify the amount of ball-to-ball variation in parameters like spin and ball speed. In most cases, to get a meaningful statistical estimate of variability requires far, far more trials than getting good estimates of central tendency. I'd imagine we're talking about hitting 20 or more shots with each ball with each club just to see if there are major differences in consistency and more like 30 or 40 shots to really tease out more subtle differences.

I have no idea, I play them because that's what I got for Christmas.

Over the long history of golf, there have definitely been periods when Titleist did better than "the rest" on quality and consistency. I think at the current time that may not be the case.

After a lot of bad publicity, Callaway in particular had to tighten up their Q/C. The kind of crude checks that MGS, for instance, does certainly don't guarantee consistent performance. But some of the stuff Callaway was shipping out several years ago was so awful there's no way it could possibly be consistent.

Remember that over half a century ago Titleist achieved its premium reputation by doing 100% manual inspection via X-Rays of their wound balls when nobody else in the industry could be arsed to even worry about it. Of course X-Rays or not, the balls people were happy to play in the mid-20th were absolute crap from a Q/C an consistency perspective. A sleeve of the cheapest urethane balls out of the lowliest factory in Asia nobody has ever heard of is going to be orders of magnitude more consistent than any Balata balls could have been back in the day.
I meant price.

I bet my swing is the most inconsistent part of my game. I play Maxfli Softfli to this point, but as of last Saturday, now the Straightfli. Found one on the course, cleaned it up, teed it up, and my game turned around, after stinking it up on the front. My swing is not the best, but I don't EVER think it is the ball's fault. With that being said, if a ball can help me play a little better, help me be a little straighter out of the tee box, why not! After all, it IS the only piece of equipment used on every shot.. I trust the quality of the ball I am playing. You must have confidence in the equipment you are playing! If not, why do you use it? Confidence is everything when you are on the tee, or trying to make that delicate chip onto the green. No matter who the ball mfg. is, I'm sure they all have quality standards in place, so they can compete in the crowded marketplace of golf balls...

I trust Callaway especially after learning about them at the Goat Cup. I don’t trust myself to maximize its performance.

Back