How consistent are your golf balls?

OldandStiff

AlsoBald
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
Do you know? How do you decide if they are or aren't consistent?

Monitor? Outdoor? Is it based in how consistent you are as a player/striker on any given day/session? The type of club you're using? An accumulation of results? Robot testing?

Replies in another thread have me curious about this.

yes. :ROFLMAO:

I'm sure my balls are way more consistent than my swing is.............so they are the least of my worries
LOL

Explain further.
I say that because I honestly don't know. I trust the manufacturer. I guess if I saw something odd on the course or on a monitor I might question it.

I truly have no idea. I guess I put a lot of faith in the QC departments of the few companies that I put in play.

If they earned a spot in my bag they’re consistent enough. I mostly base my opinion on short game because that’s where I can be the most consistent. If a ball rolls out when contact was high on the face and bites with good contact every time I’m happy. Then it’s approach shots on good strikes. Am I in the vicinity of my expected landing area? Do I catch “fliers” or dead birds more often? Anything beyond 6i has more to do with my consistency than the ball’s consistency. And it always has to be over time because… I don’t know. I just trust repeated results more I guess.

I say that because I honestly don't know. I trust the manufacturer. I guess if I saw something odd on the course or on a monitor I might question it.
So if numbers on monitor had less variation would you think the ball is more consistent or you were with it?

So if numbers on monitor had less variation would you think the ball is more consistent or you were with it?
That's what I'm not sure of really. It would have to deviate pretty significant for me to really notice. My game is going to be the inconsistent factor more than a ball ever would be.

I play PV1X and trust Titleist and Callaway 100% when it comes to QC...can't recall a time when seeing a ball act funky on the course without some type of scuff or damage

But then again, I don't really stray from these 2 manufacturers. Curious to see others weigh in.

According to the data from a certain website that we are not allowed to speak about the Maxfli Tour S I use is one of the more consistent balls out there.
I still don’t understand the vitriol that site gets.

How much inaccuracy does a bad golf ball really contribute? Maybe an extra 1-2 yards on a low-spin flier?

If I have a 20 yard x 20 yard green in front of me, and I'm going at it with a 7 iron, I've got at least a coin flip chance of missing that sucker entirely.

No formal testing, but I haven't seen anything while playing or hitting on sims that would make me question ball consistency. Distances, flight, and spin seem good ball to ball. I play either pro v1 or CT (last year CS X LS).

Now hitting range balls … that's a fundamentally different story. I think about every 3rd ball does something crazy. The differences ball to ball are obvious when hitting them.

I have not been on a launch monitor with my golf balls. For the last few years its been the Callaway CSX and they have been pretty consistent based on the courses I play regularly and the yardages I see off the tee and with approach shots.

Spin, carry and overall performance has been as consistent as it can be which has allowed me to live in the 11-12 hcap range with minimal practice or play. That has to be a testament to the ball that can perform and deliver results with my inconsistent swing/abilities.

Do you know? How do you decide if they are or aren't consistent?

Monitor? Outdoor? Is it based in how consistent you are as a player/striker on any given day/session? The type of club you're using? An accumulation of results? Robot testing?

Replies in another thread have me curious about this.
Way more consistent than my swing.

No formal testing, but I haven't seen anything while playing or hitting on sims that would make me question ball consistency. Distances, flight, and spin seem good ball to ball. I play either pro v1 or CT (last year CS X LS).

Now hitting range balls … that's a fundamentally different story. I think about every 3rd ball does something crazy. The differences ball to ball are obvious when hitting them.
The range I frequent has all random balls for the supply...crazy the differences I see from shot to shot depending on the ball, age, damage.

More consistent than I am. I do all my ball testing on the course except for a few random offseason monitor/sim sessions, but prefer to see it before deciding on one for the season. Currently debating between the CS and CT. Both are playable, but still TBD.

I usually just figure all of the big vendors make balls that are more consistent then the swing i can put on them

Meaning even if a ball is off a bit and it will change my performance by 1-2 yards or a few hundred RPM (i figure this is the max that would happen) i wouldn't be good enough to know it was even happening

when my golf balls smile back at me, that's when trust is earned...

I usually just figure all of the big vendors make balls that are more consistent then the swing i can put on them

Meaning even if a ball is off a bit and it will change my performance by 1-2 yards or a few hundred RPM (i figure this is the max that would happen) i wouldn't be good enough to know it was even happening
This is kinda how I feel. There are certain ball characteristics I like and look for but I don’t get much into the minutia and trust that as long as there aren’t some glaring visual issues I trust that the mfg of the ball I play has decent QC.

i’m not gonna notice the small variations that would probably exist anyways

I don't have access to a LM to use with my Callaway golf balls but i 100% trust they are fine. I am stuck using horrible range balls at my lessons.

This is kinda how I feel. There are certain ball characteristics I like and look for but I don’t get much into the minutia and trust that as long as there aren’t some glaring visual issues I trust that the mfg of the ball I play has decent QC.

i’m not gonna notice the small variations that would probably exist anyways
This. In the last year, I've played Bridgestone, Callaway and Taylormade. I've not seen anything that has caused me to suspect something is inconsistent about a ball. And, my strikes are not consistently enough the same to draw much in the way of conclusions on whether a ball might be bad.

Back