How consistent are your golf balls?

As fun as it is to speculate here, the fact is it's extremely impractical to get any sort of sensible estimate of "how consistent" mass produced golf balls are. People like MGS can flag the "obviously inconsistent" situations like they did with Callaway a few years back or what they find from time to time with DTC balls. So yeah, we can eliminate some models because they're so bad even a sample of 3doz shows obvious Q/C defects.

But the vast majority of name-brand balls that aren't complete Q/C fails, it's really only the manufacturer's in-house testing that is going to have any real insight into the difference between, say, being so consistent even a robot or a Tour player can't see any differences versus merely of consistent weight, roundness and without obvious core defects.

For my part, I just stick to balls from either established mainstream brands or DTC outfits like Snell, et al.. who at least design and test their own balls. Then I avoid the ones that MGS or anyone else has shown to suffer from frequent and obvious defects. I'm fine with knowing only that the balls I'm using are likely to be properly manufactured without knowing if some alternative ball might be another sigma closer to perfectly consistent performance.
I agree. You can't see what is inside the ball, no matter who makes it. You just have to trust that their QC is doing the job. Even the cheapest distance/value balls must have some kind of quality checks. We know a lot of what happens on the course is who is using the ball, and how consistent their swing is. I would like to think that the mfgs. would like to sell tons of golf balls, even those made by outside vendors, and if they are just crap, people will not buy them.. I like to think there is a ball that is a good fit for everyone out there, just have to try to find it, thru trial and error, or get on a sim, and use the numbers. Lots of science tech. go into making golf balls, so I'm pretty sure the claims that mfgs. make about their product is backed up with fact. Finding THE ball that fits you is out there...

After reading Dave Pelz Short Game Bible and Putting Bible I started to use a Check Go Pro and Epsom salt bath to check each golf ball and mark a line on them before putting them in play.

It didn’t take long to discover that the quality control of the various golf ball manufacturers was not consistent. Even among the best manufacturers it was unfortunately far to common to find one or two balls in each dozen that had some problems. The worst balls would sometimes fly off the check Go Pro machine due to severe core concentricity issues.

A couple of years ago the Ping Ballnamic fitting recommended the Maxfli Tour ball as my best fit. I tried the ball and liked its feel and performance. One other reason I like it is that Maxfli subjects their golf balls to an extra quality control step by finding the center of gravity of the ball and then marks it with the alignment line. This saves me from having to do it with the Check Go Pro.

After reading Dave Pelz Short Game Bible and Putting Bible I started to use a Check Go Pro and Epsom salt bath to check each golf ball and mark a line on them before putting them in play.

It didn’t take long to discover that the quality control of the various golf ball manufacturers was not consistent. Even among the best manufacturers it was unfortunately far to common to find one or two balls in each dozen that had some problems. The worst balls would sometimes fly off the check Go Pro machine due to severe core concentricity issues.

A couple of years ago the Ping Ballnamic fitting recommended the Maxfli Tour ball as my best fit. I tried the ball and liked its feel and performance. One other reason I like it is that Maxfli subjects their golf balls to an extra quality control step by finding the center of gravity of the ball and then marks it with the alignment line. This saves me from having to do it with the Check Go Pro.
Short Game Guru is right! Dave is really good with his teachings. I think that all mfgs. should spin their golf balls on a Check n Go machine of some type, and not just put on alignment lines willy-nilly.. Did not think any of the teaching pros thought that finding the balanced equator of the ball was worth anything. I thought wrong... Then, there is this whole thing in the rules about putting lines on the ball. But, that's another thread...

Back