Hot Tubs - Are they worth it

My next house will have one, or at least we will install one there. Was watching the parents house/dog and used it every night as a wind down and after golf

We have an inflatable one and love it. Some would say it’s redneck but best $400 we’ve ever spent and heck if it don’t work out or you don’t like it you aren’t out a ton of money.

We’ve had ours almost 2 years now and it’s still going strong.
We did exactly the same thing and love it. Maintaining it isn’t difficult at all, especially once you figure out what combination works best with your water. Once this does, we will be installing a pertinent one.

We had a MasterSpa 4 person unit. Had an Ozone system meaning it required fewer chemicals. Ours was very reliable. I replaced the circulation pump once as a DIY job. Easy and inexpensive compared to paying the dealer to do it. For my money it was well worth it for the relief it gave. Helped sleep too.

Craig Robinson GIF

My dad had one when he lived up here. I miss being able to use it. I helped him take care of it when he was away, and it was easy enough. I can't speak to "worth" it, but hell I want one.

I have one at the beach house and rarely use it. So I say no

We have the pool/spa combo. When it’s hot out we can swim, and when it’s cold out we can soak. It’s nice to have the option to get in the water all year round. I can never stay in the hot tub for very long though. I like it toasty (103F). About 10 min is all I can stand. Feels great though!

We are on our second one.
I cannot say it’s worth it as we don’t use it enough to justify it.
But when I do use it man oh man is it nice.
Early morning soak as the sun comes up and head to the course. So nice.
Drinks with my wife getting pretty tuned up is fun.
Maintenance is a P I T A.
I drain and refill about once a month.
I don’t use the chemicals so I that’s why I refill more often than most.

will ferrell snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

We use ours every night ( like 360/365) days a year. I don't drink, but it's a great place to have a smoke before bed and I'm sure would be the same for a nice bourbon. Upkeep is super easy. We've been using ours hard for years and haven't had any of the problems @War Eagle mentioned and we got this used for free, but maybe we're just lucky. My wife has a rod in her spine from scoliosis surgery and and I have a better, but still fairly jacked up back and it's been amazing for both of us.

image.jpg

And yes, I'm posting this from the hot tub.

Last edited:
We have one. It’s nice. But I would be fine without it as well.

My dad owned a chain of pool and spa stores so I have had to do a lot of maintenance and service calls when I was younger.

If you keep the water in balance and the filter clean they are actually fairly easy to maintain. Mechanical and electrical stuff eventually breaks and needs to be replaced. As long as the pipes don’t leak you everything else is not too difficult to fix.

An inversion table will help a lot more with back issues than a hot tub will. And it's a lot less expensive as well as easier to maintain. Only downside is, you can't hang around on your inversion table and drink a beer.

Never owned one, but I had a friend growing up that did. We used it in all year round, as long as it wasn't super cold out but going from hot tub to snow back to hot tub was always a fun thing to do.

An inversion table will help a lot more with back issues than a hot tub will. And it's a lot less expensive as well as easier to maintain. Only downside is, you can't hang around on your inversion table and drink a beer.
I have one of those as well

We had a hot tub at one house. Had to replace the control panel twice and the 3rd time I gave up on it. We used it a bit after each fix but it bled into the background of our lives and was forgotten and unused pretty quickly each time. I would rather have a dry sauna for real.

We had a hot tub here when we moved in. The hot tub itself was in great shape, but the deck/enclosure they had built around it was falling apart. We chose to get rid of it and I sort of kick myself for that now.

If there are back to back rounds and I can sneak into a hot tub between rounds it’s worth at least 2-3 strokes for me 🤣

Lots of ifs, but if you get one, and if it's going on your deck, build it into the deck instead of putting it on top and thank me later.

Back