Highest spinning wedge

Templet0n

washed...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
snow..
For you, what have you seen to be the highest spinning wedge out there?

I’m not sure about the highest spinning, by my 60* Cleveland RTX Full Face cuts up a Pro V1 pretty good!

Cobra Snakebite. Either my 56° or 60°.

I don’t find a lot difference on full swings in my experience. Not sure on partial shots

JAWS Raw Face

Hard to say - depends on your technique.

My Artisans were getting great spin acc to Trackman. But again, it depends on technique and the fit of the wedge grind.

Jaws Raw and Cleveland Rtx 6 Tour Rack

My 58⁰ Cleveland CBX zipcore will regularly hit a TP5X @ 11,500 rpm on a full shot, and it's over a year old. Don't want or need any more spin than that, if I wanted more spin I'd play a TP5..
I'd like to add that I don't have numbers, but all evidence would indicate that my set UHX PW spins too much. I am often getting that old balata flight, where it starts out low, then jumps up in the air before dropping very steeply. It even did it a few times downwind(breeze) yesterday. I think the shaft may have a lot to do with it, as it has one degree less
loft than my CBX Zip. The entire set has zip grooves, all the way up to 4I, but I am never going to complain about pulling back an 8I 12', its yanking a wedge off the green that irks me.

Last edited:
Cleveland CBX2 wedges. I imagine besides the wedge, it depends on the ball too.

@templeton80 didn't you do a 60° wedge spin test a few months ago? I was shocked seeing a few of them, but don't remember which ones they were.

Wedge spin has far more to do with the ball you use, loft, and technique than the brand of wedge.

Wedge spin has far more to do with the ball you use, loft, and technique than the brand of wedge.
Absolutely true, but, not all grooves are created equal present day with how companies have innovated. I still think it’s funny the groove rule ended up not making a difference in the long run, it just made companies innovate.

And whether the sole grind fits your swing.

@templeton80 didn't you do a 60° wedge spin test a few months ago? I was shocked seeing a few of them, but don't remember which ones they were.
I did. But I wanted to see what others came up with. That was just full swings on a sim.

For me my Jaw Raw spins significantly more than my Cleveland CBX 2, even more than the Cleveland RTX that I have. I think it was like 1k more spin on the Jaws Raw than the CBX2 😲

Ping…

they spin the same wet or dry, you can dial it in after that with ball selection.

I'm recent history, probably the T22s. Those things were borderline nuts right out of the plastic.

Golf magazine just robot tested all the 2023 wedges and according to them PXG made the highest spinning wedges

Thank you for posting this. It's probably the closest we're going to get to an objective answer on this. Having said that I'd like to point out some of the flaws on depending on this type of robot testing as the definitive answer.
  • Note that the article specifies they did this test with one specific loft (56 degrees), one specific swing speed (80 MPH), one specific robot, and presumably one specific ball. Would you get different rankings if you changed one or more of these variables? Possibly, but we'll never know for sure, because they only tested under this one set of conditions.
  • Is what you are after actually the maximum spin rate, or the stopping power you hope it will produce? If it is the latter, you could be sorely disappointed if you depend on these results to select your wedges. The PXG wedges that topped the list for spin rate also produced the lowest launch angle. That might translate to a more shallow angle of descent (though since they didn't measure that we don't know this for sure). If it does, the more shallow angle of descent might actually produce more rollout than another wedge that has a steeper angle of descent.
  • As stated in an earlier post, technique has a LOT to do with how much spin is produced. This was done with a robot. Your swing is different and might produce very different spin ranking results with these very same clubs and balls assuming you could replicate your swing consistently.
  • There is also such a thing as too much spin. At higher swing speeds, dynamic launch angles, and angles of descent the ball may back up too much. Meaning you'd be better off with a wedge that doesn't spin as much.

I haven’t measured on a launch monitor, but just anecdotally through observation, my Cobra Snakebites spin more than anything I remember in recent times. Prior to putting those in the bag, I would have said Jaws Raw.

Thank you for posting this. It's probably the closest we're going to get to an objective answer on this. Having said that I'd like to point out some of the flaws on depending on this type of robot testing as the definitive answer.
  • Note that the article specifies they did this test with one specific loft (56 degrees), one specific swing speed (80 MPH), one specific robot, and presumably one specific ball. Would you get different rankings if you changed one or more of these variables? Possibly, but we'll never know for sure, because they only tested under this one set of conditions.
  • Is what you are after actually the maximum spin rate, or the stopping power you hope it will produce? If it is the latter, you could be sorely disappointed if you depend on these results to select your wedges. The PXG wedges that topped the list for spin rate also produced the lowest launch angle. That might translate to a more shallow angle of descent (though since they didn't measure that we don't know this for sure). If it does, the more shallow angle of descent might actually produce more rollout than another wedge that has a steeper angle of descent.
  • As stated in an earlier post, technique has a LOT to do with how much spin is produced. This was done with a robot. Your swing is different and might produce very different spin ranking results with these very same clubs and balls assuming you could replicate your swing consistently.
  • There is also such a thing as too much spin. At higher swing speeds, dynamic launch angles, and angles of descent the ball may back up too much. Meaning you'd be better off with a wedge that doesn't spin as much.
I can’t say I have ever consistently experienced too much spin. Situationally , maybe once in a while. I would love to have a 60 degree that spin “too much”. You could just attack holes and it would be awesome.

I can’t say I have ever consistently experienced too much spin. Situationally , maybe once in a while. I would love to have a 60 degree that spin “too much”. You could just attack holes and it would be awesome.

Come on!! Image being off the green and just being able to throw the ball at the hole every time and it just stop..
Except for ripping it into trouble all the other times.

Back