Help finding golf gps device.....

If I can be assured that the courses I play will be accurately mapped, I'd be much more interested in a GPS rather than a rangefinder. I haven't had the chance to personally use either a GPS or rangefinder so don't have any firsthand knowledge of how slope mode works. Just took for granted all that I had read about it.

As mentioned they are both great tools. I think if you are going to go GPS, make sure you check out each company's website to make sure your courses are mapped. If you are going to go rangefinder, make sure you try it out at least at a store and know that there are limitations to both sides.

I would also definitely listen to Bushnell from our last THP Radio Show last week and he gives the breakdown of each unit since the company makes both.

Bushnell and Igolf have a partnership that Bushnell now uses their software and IGolf does not make hardware. We spoke about that on the last episode of THP Radio with Bushnell on.

I'm surprised I don't hear more about the Golflogix app for the smartphones. A few months ago I was in the market for a gps, when the app became available for the Motorola Droid, so I figured what the heck. For 35 bucks a year its a lot cheaper than throwing down a few hundred for a device that my phone was already capable of doing. Ive been more than satisfied with it since I've been using it. They've made a few software upgrades since I've had it to make customizing what stats you track easier, and they've added satellite imagery for each hole including your position. Ive also played with numerous players with a variety of different GPS units, and our distances have always been spot on with each other, so I dont worry about accuracy. In fact, many of the guys I've played with have been very impressed with the features and accuracy considering the cost. So I would say anyone with a phone that's capable of running the app, its worth a shot. One less gadget to carry around on the course. I'm also curious as to what others who use the phone app think.

I'm surprised I don't hear more about the Golflogix app for the smartphones. A few months ago I was in the market for a gps, when the app became available for the Motorola Droid, so I figured what the heck. For 35 bucks a year its a lot cheaper than throwing down a few hundred for a device that my phone was already capable of doing. Ive been more than satisfied with it since I've been using it. They've made a few software upgrades since I've had it to make customizing what stats you track easier, and they've added satellite imagery for each hole including your position. Ive also played with numerous players with a variety of different GPS units, and our distances have always been spot on with each other, so I dont worry about accuracy. In fact, many of the guys I've played with have been very impressed with the features and accuracy considering the cost. So I would say anyone with a phone that's capable of running the app, its worth a shot. One less gadget to carry around on the course. I'm also curious as to what others who use the phone app think.

Its great for the cost. But when we tried the free trial late last year, we struggled with both battery life and accuracy (compared to our regular GPS and laser). We moved on. I would love an All In One device, but I have yet to see one that satisfies, me at least.

Battery life would be my main concern too. Once GPS is turned on phones die very quickly, as I learned in FL the hard way.lol.

Its great for the cost. But when we tried the free trial late last year, we struggled with both battery life and accuracy (compared to our regular GPS and laser). We moved on. I would love an All In One device, but I have yet to see one that satisfies, me at least.

Hmmm... that makes me wonder, Im sure battery life would vary from phone to phone, I havent had a problem with the Droid, I've played a couple 5+ hour rounds and have barely got to 50% battery power. But do you know how the GPS works, for example, would Verizon and At&T use different sattelites and perhaps have different accuracy? Or are gps devices on a differnt set of sattelites...sorry if my question isnt very clear, but Im now too sure on how all this network/sattelite/gps stuff works :)

I had golflogix for my phone ( blackberry) and it would run out of juice every time.. not a real good option in my opinion.

Hmmm... that makes me wonder, Im sure battery life would vary from phone to phone, I havent had a problem with the Droid, I've played a couple 5+ hour rounds and have barely got to 50% battery power. But do you know how the GPS works, for example, would Verizon and At&T use different sattelites and perhaps have different accuracy? Or are gps devices on a differnt set of sattelites...sorry if my question isnt very clear, but Im now too sure on how all this network/sattelite/gps stuff works :)

Its funny, I too tried it for the Droid and the battery killed me completely. For the Blackberry, the battery is slightly better.

Its funny, I too tried it for the Droid and the battery killed me completely. For the Blackberry, the battery is slightly better.

I use Golflogix on my Omnia II (verizon) and couldn't be happier. Battery always has 50%+ after a round if I have it charged when I start. One key is screen brightness settings and another is hitting the standby button before you put it back in your pocket so it's not "powering the screen" for another 30 seconds waiting to time into standby. I would swear by it personally.

Two things I love about my first year playing with GPS are having exact yardages to lapup to 125, 100, etc. so I can plan my approach shot (this has helped me make better off the tee club decisions) and even when I'm in the wrong fairway or somewhere else I don't belong there's no wandering all over creation trying to get a yardage. I am certain it speeds up my play.

Back