Help finding golf gps device.....

Bortass,
Try it with a Skycaddie. My subscription ran out and the unit is basically a brick without one. Atleast with some units you can keep the courses you already had.

Very true, JB. I never took that side of the equation into the mix.

FWIW I saw the Bushnell for about 250 on Amazon today

Ive had my eyes on the Callaway Upro since the $100 rebate started up. But I didnt realize you had to purchase courses to get the full pro mode. I still might go with it though, its better then the subscription like Skycaddie has IMO.

Ive had my eyes on the Callaway Upro since the $100 rebate started up. But I didnt realize you had to purchase courses to get the full pro mode. I still might go with it though, its better then the subscription like Skycaddie has IMO.

If you do the math the amount of money you would spend on pro mode is miniscule if you purchase a large package......i'd rather do that since reading in most of the reviews that it stores the courses you buy so you don't have to buy them again......i'd rather do that then pay a subscription too......

Hey guys, I'm looking for a GPS as well. The Bushnell looks great, but I want a little better stat tracking. Is there anything out that has the same ease of use and accuracy, but better stats?

Hey guys, I'm looking for a GPS as well. The Bushnell looks great, but I want a little better stat tracking. Is there anything out that has the same ease of use and accuracy, but better stats?

OnPar GPS

Thanks JB!

So is the OnPar as good as the bushnell? Or is it worse but has a better stat tracking option. Or is it at the end of the day all of these units are pretty much the same, GOlf Buddy, Sky Caddie, etc. where they all handle the GPS and the distances about the same but some will add additional features ( like the stat tracking on the OnPar)

So is the OnPar as good as the bushnell? Or is it worse but has a better stat tracking option. Or is it at the end of the day all of these units are pretty much the same, GOlf Buddy, Sky Caddie, etc. where they all handle the GPS and the distances about the same but some will add additional features ( like the stat tracking on the OnPar)

Not all GPS units are the same. They may do similar things, but many are very very different. Make sure you read our reviews on each device on teh home page and get an idea of what features you like or dont like. For me, comparing the two goes like this.

OnPar - More expensive up front, but does not have a yearly fee attached.
Full touch screen works great.
Stat tracking if used can be a great and fun tool
Battery life is good not great.
Larger form.

Bushnell - Great deals can be had but does have a yearly subscription.
The best battery we have used in the premium category. I can get close to 7 full rounds without recharging.
Instead of touchscreen there is a cursor for anywhere on the course accuracy.
One of the easiest designs I have ever used.
Has golf news and reviews on the device that updates with syncing for those days when you are stuck waiting for 15 minutes on the tee.
Very small form.

Both have full color displays and both are my two favorites out there right now.

Thanks for the input.. right now I need a gps unit that will last one round let alone 7. The one I have on my blackberry keeps draining the battery and I cant make it past 12 holes. I will look around some more. I was surprised that the major golf stores out here ( Golfsmith, Roger Dunn, Dick's Sporting Goods ) did not sell the Bushnell. Now I will go back to look for the OnPar. If not it is up to onlline ordering.

the Onpar easily can make it through a full round of golf. the battery gets low but it can make it thru the round.

After much review of pros/cons etc. I finally took the plunge and bought the Bushnell GPS XGC last week, and had the opportunity to use it twice this weekend. In a nutshell - I love this unit! Very easy to download the software to my laptop - downloaded the 4 course in my rotation ( really 2 for the most part but just in case ) in about 5 minutes, and transferred them via USB to the actual GPS. Yes - there is a $35 annual igolf subscription - for up to 100 downloads. But if I don't renew next year - all the course already downloaded are still in the unit forever. Bad thing is that it won't update course changes etc down the road I guess. Played my home course Saturday morning - and we were Cart Path only due to rain the night before. Wow this was a lifesaver to have -- normally you can pull the cart ( with GPS built in ) next to your ball and get the reading... and the handheld is then useful in remote places or on the tee box for the most part. The readings are extremely accurate and FAST ! Color display is bright and easy to read ,you can get distances to all hazards easily. One of my buddies has a SkyCaddy unit and our distances were spot on when we compared. I really like the small size of this unit - kept it on the belt clip all round and didn't bother me at all - easy to get in and out of the clip - and small enough that it stays out of the way. Great to always have it with you without thinking about it . Scorekeeping / Putts feature is nice - just wish it would keep the stats stored for future analysis.

On Sunday - went to my course and didn't have a tee time -- didn't want to wait so I went to another course instead. I didn't have that one loaded - went home and downloaded it to the unit in less than 3 minutes and was on my way again ... NICE !

Obviously - I'm a big fan already! Great Unit - got it on sale at Edwin Watts for $249. Saw it online for $200 yesterday :(.

igolf.com you can check out their courses.

As I have said before, I love my Bushnell.

seeing this thread with subscriptions and all these added fees just to use all the features on some gps units has me thinking that a laser range finder might be a better option for the cost conscious

Re: Help finding golf gps device.....

I used JB's again this weekend and I've changed my thoughts on the laser range finders. For one it always works. Don't have to worry if its charged or not. That's burned me a couple times this year. Don't have to worry about if I have the course or if I forgot to get it. And who doesn't like shooting a laser at the dude standing on the green? I still like a gps for distance tracking though.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk

seeing this thread with subscriptions and all these added fees just to use all the features on some gps units has me thinking that a laser range finder might be a better option for the cost conscious

There are quite a few GPS units with no fees.

I used JB's again this weekend and I've changed my thoughts on the laser range finders. For one it always works. Don't have to worry if its charged or not. That's burned me a couple times this year. Don't have to worry about if I have the course or if I forgot to get it. And who doesn't like shooting a laser at the dude standing on the green? I still like a gps for distance tracking though.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk

So you have a more positive opinion on laser range finders now? That's what I have been leaning towards, as a range finder can do most anything that I would use a GPS for. If I want to know the distance to a hazard, I can shoot it and find out. The only time I think I would use a GPS or range finder is when I am finding the distance to the green on my approach shot. I play the same few courses for the most part and know where the hazards are and what clubs to hit to avoid unseen obstacles. Either one (GPS or range finder) would be very beneficial.

So you have a more positive opinion on laser range finders now? That's what I have been leaning towards, as a range finder can do most anything that I would use a GPS for. If I want to know the distance to a hazard, I can shoot it and find out. The only time I think I would use a GPS or range finder is when I am finding the distance to the green on my approach shot. I play the same few courses for the most part and know where the hazards are and what clubs to hit to avoid unseen obstacles. Either one (GPS or range finder) would be very beneficial.

I have and use both, but couldn't the same be said for most GPS units too? I can use the cursor on mine to check the distance to anything. Plus if I am behind trees or a dogleg, the rangefinder is rendered worthless.

I have and use both, but couldn't the same be said for most GPS units too? I can use the cursor on mine to check the distance to anything. Plus if I am behind trees or a dogleg, the rangefinder is rendered worthless.

i didnt even think about that drawback on the lasers... now im rethinking it again... hahaha

i didnt even think about that drawback on the lasers... now im rethinking it again... hahaha

That is one of my biggest issues with them and why I have not abandoned my GPS completely. Here is another scenario where the GPS is huge for me. If the green is elevated and you cannot see the shape of the green or where the flag is. You can certainly get a great measurement to the pin with the laser. But you will not know where it is in relation to edges (back and front) of the green. The GPS is huge in that regards.

I love both and have a need for both. If I had to choose, I would still take my GPS.

Rangefinder has some benefits that OEM mentioned: no fees, no charging, no forgetting to load the course I am going to play, etc. If I bought a rangefinder, I would likely buy one with slope mode. Do any GPS models have the ability to take that into account? Also, I play on smaller courses, and with a rangefinder I don't have to run the risk that the GPS won't have accurate information about the course I am playing.

Rangefinder has some benefits that OEM mentioned: no fees, no charging, no forgetting to load the course I am going to play, etc. If I bought a rangefinder, I would likely buy one with slope mode. Do any GPS models have the ability to take that into account? Also, I play on smaller courses, and with a rangefinder I don't have to run the risk that the GPS won't have accurate information about the course I am playing.

Many models of GPS will let you map courses or will have it mapped for you within 7 days. On our last THP Radio show with Bushnell, our guest mentioned that just about any course requested can be mapped really quickly. As for Slope mode, I dont think it works all that well personally. I think the OnPar club selector works far better.

Many models of GPS will let you map courses or will have it mapped for you within 7 days. On our last THP Radio show with Bushnell, our guest mentioned that just about any course requested can be mapped really quickly. As for Slope mode, I dont think it works all that well personally. I think the OnPar club selector works far better.

If I can be assured that the courses I play will be accurately mapped, I'd be much more interested in a GPS rather than a rangefinder. I haven't had the chance to personally use either a GPS or rangefinder so don't have any firsthand knowledge of how slope mode works. Just took for granted all that I had read about it.

Back