Harrison Shotmaker - THP Preview

Wow. I think it sucks you are getting nowhere fast with this Hawk.

It does. There are quite a few things that are just "interesting" throughout. For instance the reason for not having any tour usage is because the company will not provide it due to upsetting the balance of power on leaderboards. The idea of selling direct to consumers primarily for rankings only. The compatibility chart being end consumer word of mouth rather than any actual testing. And more. The device could be perfect for someone, but there are so many "gray clouds" that I have a hard time with some aspects of it.

I am still working on a few things with some fitters as well as some shaft experts and then we will have some more information on some of the questions being asked throughout.

If this is a golfer's main concern, it is an easy one to overcome. Visit a local Shotmaker dealer and let the dealer test your shaft to see if it is compatible. It only takes a couple of minutes.

If it is not compatible, you did not lose anything. If it is compatible, you have one more option to boost your accuracy. What do you have to lose?

I don't live very near a dealer that has the Shotmaker. What do I do then?

I want to give Hawk and JB credit for pushing the issue of compatibility. It is an important issue.

However, PGA Show is just around the corner. Golfers with incompatible golf shafts do not need to wait too long.

Last edited:
There is one in Dumont, NJ. Bergen Muni GC. Bryan Rossi, 201-674-5935.

That's almost 2 hrs from me (a huge ordeal if it doesn't work at all), but that was mostly a hipothetical. What if somebody did not live at all close to one?

The Shotmaker is a new invention. It addresses a hidden and not commonly known problem with all golf shafts. We understand that it will take time for golfers to understand the nature of the shaft deformation problem and what the Shotmaker does to reduce or eliminate it. We expect everyone to question the functionality of the device.

Before we launch the Shotmaker to the public, everyone we presented the product to rejected it out right. The good thing is since then nearly all of the parties who rejected it initially all changed their mind subsequently.

Conventional Wisdom
The clubs are made by a highly respected golf company. They are shafted with the most expensive custom golf shafts available. The fitting was performed by a well-known fitting center. Everything that can be done to make them the best money can buy has been done.

The Shotmaker is for golfers with poorly fitted equipment. If they need the Shotmaker, the tip of their shaft is too soft. Tour players use only top-notch equipment. They are living proof that shaft deformation does not apply to perfectly fitted equipment.

Experiment
Shaft deformation is the S-shaped vibration of a golf shaft initiated by a golf swing. The S wave is the most prominent when golfer loads his/her club. Below are links to slow motion golf swing videos of some of the best golfers in the world. Let's see if they could escape the wrath of shaft deformation.

Tiger Woods (driver) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc9Wb9JKpTE

Charl Schwartzel (driver) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nPXpJQQpgA

Rory McIlroy (driver) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2hQ5Fe8BuU

Nick Watney (fairway wood) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuv8HnUpqoo

Luke Donald (steel-shafted iron) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVW8DBHWXv8

Result
It is apparent from the videos. Shaft deformation is an inherent part of every golf club.

Conclusion
The conventional wisdom is false. Shaft deformation is present even with the best fitted equipment. Golf shaft deformation contributes up to 50% of inaccuracy.

Solution
The Shotmaker is a foreign object wedged inside a golf shaft. When the golf shaft bends and twists during golf swing, the insert counteracts the shaft deformation process as to improve accuracy up to 40%. It conforms to USGA and R&A rules and comes with a 30 day money back guarantee.

I understand nearly all of the discussions here are hypothetical.

Interested golfers can order from the nearest dealer and everything I stated in earlier posts still stands.

That's almost 2 hrs from me (a huge ordeal if it doesn't work at all), but that was mostly a hipothetical. What if somebody did not live at all close to one?

Last edited:
Now I am even more confused. THP has reviewed the product and in doing so obviously created some questions for consumers and we think its great that you are here to answer questions, but dropping in a press release about the "new invention"? I mean the product has been discussed at lengths about what it does for some and what it doesnt do for others.

Throwing in press copy and/or marketing speak with youtube videos that show off this "shaft deformation" by players that you openly say you will NOT allow to use the product because its so good, that it would change the balance of power at the top of PGA Tour leaderboards is absolutely absurd in my opinion. The only way this type of marketing works is if you then show us another video with the exact same person swinging with this miraculous product in it and this "deformation" not occurring.

Up to 50% of inaccuracy, huh? I'd bet that it's not even close to that number for an amateur.

I think that stuff like that and many of things that have been posted in this thread have done more harm than good when it comes to your company's image. A simple apology for misleading me would have been good enough.

Up to 50% of inaccuracy, huh? I'd bet that it's not even close to that number for an amateur.

I think that stuff like that and many of things that have been posted in this thread have done more harm than good when it comes to your company's image. A simple apology for misleading me would have been good enough.

And 90% of all statistics are made up on the spot with no evidence whatsoever to back them up. :alien:

Please do check the robot test results at harrison.com.

I just did and thanks for discussing your product on the forum. The only thing I would ask however as an objective consumer, is where are the tests with people as I am not a robot. To me, it is hard to translate statistics from a robot to a human as a robot is an ideal situation or swing. I do look forward on hearing more about this in the future.

I do whole heartedly agree. Robot does not play golf. Golfers do.

Up to this point, Shotmaker users have posted over a thousand positive reviews online in golf forums everywhere with negligible number of negative reviews. That should say something about the effectiveness of the Shotmaker.

Up to this point, Shotmaker users have posted over a thousand positive reviews online in golf forums everywhere with negligible number of negative reviews. That should say something about the effectiveness of the Shotmaker.

I agree completely. And several people on this very forum have had wonderful experiences with it. And actually I just found the player testing on your site. Thanks for the heads up about this product.

I just lost 30 minutes of my life reading this thread and I don't think I'm ever getting it back.

But you have to address concerns people have with the product and not discount them like they mean nothing.

When I read reviews, I do look at the glowing reviews, but I really pay attention to the bad ones. Sometimes you can tell it's just a disgruntled person, but when genuine concerns are raised, that's what I pay attention to.

When the people who are representing the company don't address these concerns, and/or trivialize the concerns, it makes me think twice about the reputaion of the company. This is where I am with your company. What action is the company going to take to change my mind?

One of those testimonials specifically mentions the hope that you'll eventually sponsor the site it's posted on. It reads more like an infomercial than a review.

I had really good results with the shotmaker untill it started rattling very badly, with that said I had planned on trying one of the new ones next year but after reading some of the stuff here I think I will pass. You keep saying go to a dealer and they will check the compatibility for you, do they do this with a machine or what, if they just install the shotmaker and check for rattles what is stopping the shotmaker from getting stuck in the shaft just from trying to check compatibility? Would you "Harrison" replace the shaft then? I do know if I was Hawk and the shotmaker got stuck in my shaft I would be knocking down some doors for a replacement shaft, you just cant expect people to be "OK" ruining a $200+ shaft because you lacked the R&D to get a "OFFICIAL" compatibility list. I saw some very promising results and its a shame I dont trust the company enough to actually use the new and so called improved fitting shotmakers.

One of those testimonials specifically mentions the hope that you'll eventually sponsor the site it's posted on. It reads more like an infomercial than a review.

Good point. I missed that upon first read.

I just lost 30 minutes of my life reading this thread and I don't think I'm ever getting it back.
Really coolbreeze...couldn't have given me the heads up a couple pages ago????

This thing sounded more like a CarFax commercial than anything else. "Show me the CarFax". "What about the radio", "Show me the CarFax", "Isn't the paint pretty".

Sorry your shaft is jacked Hawk, I appreciate the fact you were doing it in the name of a test/review for us.

I recently went to one of your authorized dealers to see if I could get this installed. I originally had one installed in a Fujikura Blur 005 shaft and liked it. It fit well initially and worked as advertised. My draw was lessened slightly. I changed drivers from a R9 Supertri to a G15 with a stock TFC 149D shaft and wanted the SM switched over. According to your list on your website, this shaft is not compatible. They were able to install it however. I am not sure how they were able to do that since I believe it is a 350 tip shaft. I am not sure if you need to update your compatibility list but there does seem to be some grey areas with it.

I know that there is a guarantee on your product but this does not take into consideration the labor costs that your authorized dealers charge for the installation, not to mention the cost of the grip if it does not make it through the removal process. This may not seem like much for some people but I have Iomic grips on my clubs and they are $18 each. Does your money back guarantee include the cost of installation/removal or is it for the physical product only? If it is for the product only then I would be out about $100 if it ended up not working for me.

I dont think you can say to potential customers that there is no risk in going to a dealer and trying one out. You cant fall back on a guarantee if it does not cover the entire cost of the process.

I initially really liked the SM and I do believe that it worked for me but the list of compatible/incompatible shafts is concerning. I know that you were collecting different shafts to test in house so I am not sure why you have to rely on customer's input to determine if a particular shaft will work or not. Are you finding that the SM will fit in one shaft model and not fit in another of the same shaft models?

+1 and to top it off I now have a headache from spinning in all of these circles.

I may have skimmed here, but...where do I find such a product? I am so intrigued!!!

Back