Future of Product Testing on THP

$20 is $20 people.....(at least that is the minim. Payment required at this point). Eat out one less day or skip the case of beer on the course (man, did I just say that?) but donating should be A part of what gets you looked at. Just saying.....

$20 is $20 people.....(at least that is the minim. Payment required at this point). Eat out one less day or skip the case of beer on the course (man, did I just say that?) but donating should be A part of what gets you looked at. Just saying.....

But one thing to note (and maybe the best part about THP) is the fact that we have people here from all areas, all ages, and probably all social/economic classes.

20$ does not mean the same to everyone on this board, and to assume that could be a lite problematic.

From the iPhone.

20 bucks is a weeks gas money. I love THP, but there are certain things that take priority. I understand where you are coming from, but sometimes people are strapped for cash.

For real, "Up and Down" didn't get enough listeners? I find that hard to believe. Those were excellent and funny shows. I'd definitely like to see them come back. What constitutes enough listeners? Surely we've all listened to them....

I agree I likes the Up and Down shows. We want more. Sorry for going off topic.

I guess I need to quit raving about all my new Cleveland equipment in the Cleveland threads since none of you want my opinion. I still love ya though.
Don't quit, your posts have kept me interested in the new cleveland stuff. Especially since you seem to be honest about good and bad days and the fitting session, that was you right? As for anyone discounting reviews because they are written by a woman, who would care what they thought anyway. Admittedly I'm not gonna be interested in womens equip. but all the other stuff is being reviewed by a valid reviewer.
Keep up the good work.

I finally made it to the end! My head hurts.

Since I have to get up in 5 hours to go to work... keep testing and selection the way it is because you can't make everyone happy. Having people selected for testing pay for shipping should be instituted forthwith. Donate if you can (now that I'm gainfully employed and after I get my car fixed up, I plan to donate and/or buy that golf umbrella I need with all the rain we're getting in Northern Cali).

A lot of things have been covered and I'm too tired to go into it all but my one pet peeve that was brought up somewhere in this massive thread is when people say they "won" when they were "selected" or "chosen" to test a particular piece of equipment. You win contests. You get selected or chosen to test equipment. I can understand that people feel like they won something when selected but to me, being selected carries more weight and responsibility than winning something. I have only had the chance to test the optic yellow B330-RX and I think I did a fair job (and if not, people let me know so I can do better next time). I felt more responsibility with the selection than if I had won something on THP.

My brain is turning to mush so time for bed so in closing, THP is awesome and thanks to everyone from JB & GolferGal to the latest person who signed up today for making this a great place to come to.

20 bucks is a weeks gas money. I love THP, but there are certain things that take priority. I understand where you are coming from, but sometimes people are strapped for cash.

At over $4.00 a gallon, $20 covers me for maybe 1/2 a day of work.

I have more of a suggestion than a complaint. I think that something needs to be done to improve the testing threads. Some of these threads get so much banter going on in them that it is really hard to follow what each tester has to say because you have to sort through 10+ pages of banter. My suggestion... could THP set up a thread which has two parts to it. One with a timeline of the testers thoughts on the equipment and a second with a comment section where you can banter and ask questions to the testers about the clubs. Kinda like the reviews on the homepage but with more interaction. I think overall this will allow readers get easy access to the testers thoughts. I'm not saying that I don't want the banter, I just think that this will make these threads easier to follow and enjoy by all. Just my 2 cents

I agree and posted a new thread in the tech support forum last week(ish) asking if this was possible. I wanted to see if posts by certain members could be "stickied" to the top of a certain thread (talking sticky posts in a thread, not sticky threads in a forum). My example was the TM Kingdom Experience. I wanted to see the posts by P4B, etc could all filter to the first few pages so I didnt have to filter through 10 pages of "looks sweet man" (just an example) to find thier journal logs, pics, vids, etc. Unofrtunately, JB didnt think it was possible.

I might play with the advanced search function today to see if i can create an easy way to do this via search. If i figure it out, I will post a thread in the tech support outlining how I did it.

What do you believe is a better alternative to determine how active someone is?

Can you guys (admins) pull the site's tech details of how much time a given user is logged into the site? Can you pull stats into how much "active navigating" is done by that user?

When I initially saw this thread I sent JB a personal message to let him know what I thought without getting caught up in the drama. Then though I started reading more of the posts and got more and more pissed so here goes my oil 2 cents. The one thing that I love about this place is its lack of elitism. All of us here are treated with respect and shown that we have worth here on the site. To have some whiny bunch of BS because someone feels left out is a compote slap in the face for what JB and GG do for all here! There's no place for that here, there are thousands of other sites running rampant with that crap and I'm sure they would love to have those that thrive on it. I don't want to see a change, I love the fact that everyone here is treated equal whether they have 10 posts or 3000. If we go to changing just to conform to a few whiny brats it will change what makes this site so great. JB and GG you do a wonderful job running this place. I could care less if I get a single golf product here for free and I know that most here feel the same way. If that's the only reason someone is here then perhaps they should look elsewhere.

Don't quit, your posts have kept me interested in the new cleveland stuff. Especially since you seem to be honest about good and bad days and the fitting session, that was you right? As for anyone discounting reviews because they are written by a woman, who would care what they thought anyway. Admittedly I'm not gonna be interested in womens equip. but all the other stuff is being reviewed by a valid reviewer.
Keep up the good work.

Thanks tnc200. That means a lot to me. I won't quit. I was just joking around to give you guys a little grief. You can't shut me up. Just ask Ole Gray. :act-up: I do try to be honest in all my reviews because it helps no one if everyone just writes the good stuff and omits the bad. I really appreciate the support I receive on this website and I really do understand the differences in my game versus the men.

That's a great post my friend....well said

Your posts have been fine. And I think you've done a great job with the Compression board. I have been a member since September 1, 2009, and I received my first product to review a little over a year later (The Burner 2.0 irons). I watched many other people get the opportunity to test/review products and I was always there to congratulate them and support them in their testing. I asked questions, I bumped the thread with what I thought was relevancy. That's what I mean by putting in the time. There were seasoned THP'ers here before me and I read and supported every one of their reviews. I never complained, never asked for a thing. I made friends, we talked about golf, and equipment, we got to know one another. We had the 12 Days of Holiday Cheer contest that year, and I knew every single person that won except for one, and that person never came back and shared pictures of their win. We got close. I always knew that THP was going to grow, and JB and GG will tell you that I'm one of the biggest supporters and advocates for that growth. Newer members have had opportunities to test things, some of my friends from almost two years ago are now staffers. You don't think it sucked for me not being able to apply for a staffer position? I couldn't, b/c I'm left handed. I think that sucks, but I have always been there for them, I've read every review and I've commented on probably all of them. That's putting your time in, in my opinion. It's not about what one does for themselves, but how they support their friends, their fellow testers, that's what I do. And you will be hard pressed to find anyone who does it as well as I do.

No $$$ for donating = No $$$ for golfing = Not a good candidate to be a tester. So let's all drop the whole I can't afford to donate to the site but I want to still be eligible for testing.

Testing SHOULD be a perk to get more people to donate to the site and to help support this community. It is not a right one has because they post 100 times a week. Hey people, if your posting 100 times a week then don't you think you should help support the site so it continues to stick around??

I am still new and am enjoying my "free trial" period that I know will soon end. All signs point to me sticking around and giving up some of my kids college fund to support what is going on in here (JK, maybe a round or 2 of golf fees....). But let's get off the high horse of what this site needs to be doing for YOU in terms of testing and turn our attention on what this site is doing right for everyone else as a group.

I agree with Nate. When I first saw people earlier in the thread say "I can't afford to donate, but I still want to test, etc" it rubbed me the wrong way. What I was thinking yesterday when reading about lack of donations is this: "If you can't afford to give $5, $10, or $20...anything - then golf is the wrong sport for you". I do expect some people to disagree but this is not a cheap hobby to have. I am not saying that everyone must donate - but I fully expect to see those that get to test and KEEP something throw a little out there to at least give back to what has been given to you (and hopefully a little more than the shipping costs).

Productive posting...but that is nearly impossible to keep track of.

Of course that is used as well.

I don't know if we can exclude post count, but their are other factors. Tenure, ability, and quality of posts are essential. Although I am sure you guys are already looking for all of these.

Nobody has said post count is used exclusively. But I dont think averaging a single post a day is too much to ask for.

I am just saying that post counts as a sole contributing factor is not a great idea. I think quality of posts is more important. I have entered into two of the club testing opportunities and have not been selected and that is 100% fine by me. I know that I don't post on as many topics as I could and if that is the reason that I have not been selected that is fine. I am sure that as an administrator and the operator of the forum you are able to make the decision on who gets to review clubs based off of the quality combined with their number of posts. I have a feeling that in your eyes pure post count is not all that you look at but many people may think otherwise. I have no problem with the way that things are being ran, I was just responding to some of the posts saying that post count should be the primary factor.

Jon

We never would use just post count, but again, I dont think averaging a single post a day is too much to ask for. Like I said, there is a lot of testing going on here with different clubs right now. It does not take look to ask someone a question about their experience or merely thank them and say job well done.

TC, maybe if it needs to be said as often as you are implying here then maybe the masses here do not really know how people are selected. Is it the companies? Is it JB and GG with the help of Ellie on occasion? Is it done with a magic 8 ball? I am tryng to be funny here but perhaps if the method were outilined somewhere then it would be understood by everyone.

Can I ask why it needs to be said? In reality it should not matter one way or the other who is picking them as long as good testers get picked in my opinion. I dont think anybody needs to know if it is the company, THP, or anybody else. This way not getting selected, someone wont hold a grudge against the company (obviously unfair). The information is left out for a reason.

I have not gotten involved with the donation talk, because I dont think its my place, but I have to say something here. You say its your gas money and you just dont have extra money. However I would venture to say that if you got selected for a set of irons, how things might change if you were told you needed to pay $20 for shipping. I dont harp on donations, because they are just that, donations and should be up to the people, but I do see what people are saying. If its money someone does not have, then I understand completely and respect their decisions. Everybody has different economics in their life right now. However if one says that and that somehow miraculously comes up with money because they are getting free goods and need to pay for shipping, that is something different. Again, not my point of view exactly, but I understand what people are saying.

Can you guys (admins) pull the site's tech details of how much time a given user is logged into the site? Can you pull stats into how much "active navigating" is done by that user?

Yes, we can pull that info. However someone logging in or keeping it on in the background and changing pages every so often does little to inspire confidence in an active poster. We have never said that we needed someone with thousands of posts. However averaging 1-2 posts a day for a period of time does not seem like too much to ask for out of activity

Last edited:
Yes, we can pull that info. However someone logging in or keeping it on in the background and changing pages every so often does little to inspire confidence in an active poster. We have never said that we needed someone with thousands of posts. However averaging 1-2 posts a day for a period of time does not seem like too much to ask for out of activity

I agree, 1-2 post a day is not hard, i can do that at work on my lunch break with my phone lol, I do always stay logged in, even at night when im sleeping, i think its just easier to hit refresh then have to sign in everytime but i would say im active.

Sure 1-2 posts a day isn't hard. But imho it's hard if the posts actually have to have some sort of value ;)

Sure 1-2 posts a day isn't hard. But imho it's hard if the posts actually have to have some sort of value ;)

You think so? Like I said, nobody has to post every day, but averaging a post a day does not seem like a stretch. Even thanking someone for their hardwork in testing seems pretty easy and "of value" if you ask me. But we do have to wonder that if someone does not have much to add, will they be able to add full writeups multiple times a week on equipment? How are we to know?

Exactly. 1-2 posts is nothing. Ask a question, talk about what you are pondering, what ball you are playing and why you like it, etc. I could go on all day.

You think so? Like I said, nobody has to post every day, but averaging a post a day does not seem like a stretch. Even thanking someone for their hardwork in testing seems pretty easy and "of value" if you ask me. But we do have to wonder that if someone does not have much to add, will they be able to add full writeups multiple times a week on equipment? How are we to know?

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

That's my biggest problem. If posting isn't one's fortay (and that's fine by me) then why would they be a candidate for testing? If they can't take the time to thank or comment on other testers work, why should they expect the same? I know these aren't your thoughts JB, I'm just throwing more out there.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

I would fully expect a tester to average around a post a day, I was speaking more in the realm of 10 posts a day should not be required.

i'm not sure i understand why it's such a big deal. i've read the thread and i understand both sides of the argument. i personally am not interested in testing equipment but value the thoughts of people that do. like most social-based message boards, problems arise with growth. there is always a perceived aura of cliques or insider-clubs or good-ole boys clubs or whatever you want to call it. THP is not an exception. i value the site for what it is and i share what i feel is relevant in threads and/or situations when i can. i will readily admit that i refer people to this site frequently when they are looking for information and reviews. i will also admit that very few of them have become more than a casual lurker/guest.

my thoughts are.....keep the selection process (whatever it is...it's not been made clear) the way it is. people are going to get mad in any situation where FREE and CONTESTS are involved.

i empathize with JB and GG because everything that seems to happening with the growth is both encouraging and exciting but also frustrating.

That's my biggest problem. If posting isn't one's fortay (and that's fine by me) then why would they be a candidate for testing? If they can't take the time to thank or comment on other testers work, why should they expect the same? I know these aren't your thoughts JB, I'm just throwing more out there.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

The way I see it as far as testing goes. If you are on this forum and not able to post more than 1 a day and are upset that you didnt get to test something, chances are you are only in it for the free stuff. There are WAY to many topics on this forum not to have an opinion to share. If you can read through 20 posts in a 10 minute period and not have a thought to share on atleast one of the subjects, you probably wont have a good thought to share on a product that is given to you to test.

First off I want to say I have shamelessly skimmed this thread, so if I missed something vital you can all line up to kick me in the right direction.

Personally, I would say keep the testing the way it is. I've switched to Bridgestone e7 balls after reading the reviews on here, I've ordered a Mashie because of the reviews on here and in both cases, the reason I have is because the reviewers were just regular golfers, just like me, not paid professional reviewers.

As for the selection process, I would imagine, and imagine is the key word here that there is some manufacturer input into what they look for in testers as well as whatever factors are used by THP.

I've been a member of the site for less than a year and I was given the opportunity to test the Wilson Staff Irons. And testing is a lot of work, I've been spending more time at the range, played more rounds testing these than I normally would be this time of year, playing rounds and hitting the range when it's in the 40's out because testing isn't about getting free equipment, it's about giving a good and timely review of the product that others hopefully can use to make an informed decision. In most cases, depending on what you're testing it isn't "Free" either. You're spending extra time on the range and course, spending extra on range balls and rounds and as was mentioned, with Gas so high the extra money it takes going to and from courses to test.

As for the idea of a VIP testing program, I don't like it. To me it smells of the kind of elitism that many perceive golf to embody, and I think, keeps people away from the game. The whole "It's for rich old white guys" mentality.

Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

I have not gotten involved with the donation talk, because I dont think its my place, but I have to say something here. You say its your gas money and you just dont have extra money. However I would venture to say that if you got selected for a set of irons, how things might change if you were told you needed to pay $20 for shipping. I dont harp on donations, because they are just that, donations and should be up to the people, but I do see what people are saying. If its money someone does not have, then I understand completely and respect their decisions. Everybody has different economics in their life right now. However if one says that and that somehow miraculously comes up with money because they are getting free goods and need to pay for shipping, that is something different. Again, not my point of view exactly, but I understand what people are saying.

I just wanted to post on these two thoughts and that is why I cut it down.

First on the donation part,

I don't think it is that hard to spare a little cash for something you love. I remember reading earlier in this thread that somebody doesn't not put money out that they don't get something back out of. I don't know about you, but I have gotten more out of this website than any other website in my internet history. I also don't see how hard it is to save a quarter a day for 80 days to get $20. My wife and I are both school teachers I bet most people on here make more the both of us combined. I can still scrap together a little bit of extra money for something I love, THP.

The second part is the post a day,

I don't see how hard it is to have 1 to 2 post a day. This is very easy to do, by asking questions about stuff and putting your thoughts on stuff. I know some people claim that they only want their post to be relevant and thought out. I hate to tell you, some of the best conversations I have had about stuff is due to a random two second post I made. Post I didn't even think twice about.

All in all, I thing the donation part should not be required for testing, but it should make you feel better about it. Heck if you can give back to something you love, how do you think they should trust you with something they love.

On last thought or idea,

What if you had to qualify to be a tester, like when THP was looking for a new staffer. You have to post a review of something you have bought lately. This could be used in selecting the next testers. The only problem with this is your time. I know it would take a lot of time to read through all of these to make selections and I know the participating companies don't have this time.

Back