Future of Product Testing on THP

That is why we wanted to have this thread. For open conversation and we WILL NOT allow someone to get trashed. Not personally in here. Its about making this place better.

Well said JB. I am glad I found your site via twitter. I hope one day I get to play with tour club and balls!! Oh wait that didn't type out right did it?? Hehe. I hope one day I'm selected to play with someone's clubs and or balls!! 

Okay seriously keep the format the same. If selected I would gladly cover the cost of product delivery. . I will still stand by my original suggestion though if selected to test one item you are omitted from the next.

Just a thought.

Productive posting...but that is nearly impossible to keep track of.

But I would think that if someone who was a productive posted got choosen for anything here, I dont think many would question or be upset with it. I would much rather have a forum of productive posters than a forum of people who only post thread with a word or two in an obvious attempt to boast stats and post counts

Another possibility:

regardless of who does the testing have all non perishables returned to THP and auctioned off to THP members.

There are many complexities here that I have not considered but it would make products available to forum members and generate $$$ for THP.

There may be many reasons that this will not fly but just another idea.

What do you believe is a better alternative to determine how active someone is?

I am just saying that post counts as a sole contributing factor is not a great idea. I think quality of posts is more important. I have entered into two of the club testing opportunities and have not been selected and that is 100% fine by me. I know that I don't post on as many topics as I could and if that is the reason that I have not been selected that is fine. I am sure that as an administrator and the operator of the forum you are able to make the decision on who gets to review clubs based off of the quality combined with their number of posts. I have a feeling that in your eyes pure post count is not all that you look at but many people may think otherwise. I have no problem with the way that things are being ran, I was just responding to some of the posts saying that post count should be the primary factor.

Jon

I'd agree that post count is not necessarily indicative of dedication to the site. As someone who lurks a lot in posts, I would hate to see people needlessly posting to get up to the 100 or 500 post mark. I'm not sure how that could be changed, but part of it is just being on the boards a lot. You get to see a lot of names and interactions. I'm sure JB and GG know who are active, and how their post qualities are. When someone orders from our store and I see a name I know, I always tell Mr. Blind 9, "Oh, I know him! He's very active on the board." I'm not even on as much as many of you, but still I know many of the active names who contribute regularly and add a lot of value to these discussions.

Oh, and +1 on separating the reviews out and trying to have two threads. I love that idea. I also get lazy and skim on some of the equipment thread, esp. when they are LOOOONG. It would be nice to have the reviews distilled.

How many times does it have to be said: THP doesn't always (or often) choose the testers. They are chosen by the companies that want to participate in seeding. How else are they to gauge whether or not someone is active than to look at their posts. Yes, you can go back and look at someone's past 50 posts or so. It's easy to tell who is active and it's really easy to tell if they are being relevant in their posting.

Keep it the same JB. I'm a fairly new member, but I joined to find out about equipment and just to have fun talking to other golfers about golf. THP's motto is "Don't just play golf, Live it" and I think the people who complain about not winning things are here for the wrong reasons. I think this forum is awesome the way it is JB.

This idea just popped into my head, so feel free to share your thoughts. Maybe a monthly post count could be tied to the retail value of what is to be testing. Say a set of irons retails for $500 or more, then testers would be required to have 300 posts in the last 30 days. Testing a dozen golf balls with a smaller retail value would require less posts to participate. That way you are still including everyone and encouraging activity at the same time. It might not work, but i have been thinking about this thread all night it just seemed ok to me.

One glaring weakness of this idea is some of these guys are testing TM TP iron sets and Wilson staff irons. That would be a whole bunch of posts and would only encourage random zip-a-dee-doo-da posts like we recently saw. I like the idea a lot, maybe just not the post-to-dollar ratio.

Nope, everyone has to put their time in, just like getting a promotion at work. I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just being honest and airing my thoughts on the matter.

Not saying you're wrong and respect your thoughts but that brings up the question of what is putting one's time in? (sorry, I skimmed the following posts after this one so know it has been kind of addressed but...) I don't know if I've put my time in, maybe to some and to others I may just be a nuisance. I hope my review has been helpful and will continue to be helpful. I hope my posts have had some value (OK, I know some have been horrible). I just don't know what putting time is and who decides other than GG, JB, and those that are close to them and THP. Like it or not, and I'm not saying it is a bad thing, there are some good ol' boys vibes that do creep into minds. I think they do have an impact in not only clouding newbies minds but others as well. It is the nature of the beast I suppose.

For me, I feel blessed that I am able to test/review the Compression Board. I believe I said it in the thread, it came at the absolute right time for me and I will always be thankful to GG, JB, Compression Board, and all at THP for this gift and will support THP as long as I am able because of it (and all the other awesome things here). If I never have a chance to test again or win a contest, I've already received the best gift I can. Maybe I don't deserve it but I will always be thankful for the chance. Did I donate to THP the same day I received it? Yes. Was it the only reason I donated? No. Receiving the board just happened to coincide with the payday I promised myself I was going to donate and it showed up to remind me of that promise. I'm babbling now so I'll just say cheers...:drinks:

How many times does it have to be said: THP doesn't always (or often) choose the testers. They are chosen by the companies that want to participate in seeding. How else are they to gauge whether or not someone is active than to look at their posts. Yes, you can go back and look at someone's past 50 posts or so. It's easy to tell who is active and it's really easy to tell if they are being relevant in their posting.

TC, maybe if it needs to be said as often as you are implying here then maybe the masses here do not really know how people are selected. Is it the companies? Is it JB and GG with the help of Ellie on occasion? Is it done with a magic 8 ball? I am tryng to be funny here but perhaps if the method were outilined somewhere then it would be understood by everyone.

TC, maybe if it needs to be said as often as you are implying here then maybe the masses here do not really know how people are selected. Is it the companies? Is it JB and GG with the help of Ellie on occasion? Is it done with a magic 8 ball? I am tryng to be funny here but perhaps if the method were outilined somewhere then it would be understood by everyone.

I think it varies by company. At least that has been my impression

Skim alert...

I have read several pages of this thread but not all of it. It has been a busy day at the Monkey Disco and that has cut into my THP time.

A couple of points seem to be overwhelmingly agreed upon. Payment for shipments should be picked up by the person testing the equipment. I too agree with this option. The other is most like things the way they are. I know I do. The reviews are what originally brought me here. The name hackers paradise made me feel like I was talking to folks that were of all abilities. I struggle with the game and don't know much except that I love playing and talking about it. The testing that I have read as of late has been amazing. I tried clubs that I normally would not have and bought a brand I have mostly disliked in the past. The reviews have just plain old helped me and my game.
I have never won anything or done any equipment testing. I would like to, but obviously it doesn't keep me from enjoying the site.
The donor tag issue is difficult for me to pass judgement on. I was here a long time before I even noticed it. I had no idea of what it was for. I mostly use my smartphone and don't pay much attention to user name and avatars. I only donated when it was brought up in the fantasy golf thread. I know it isn't something that JB and GG want to ask for but I know it is appreciated and needed. I think maybe on sign up for the forum an email could be sent explaining how things work at THP.

these are just some thoughts and I want to emphasize that things seem fine to me:clapp:

Clam I was in the same boat as far as donating. I had no clue and then when the Fantasy golf came up that is the first time I paid any attention to it. I feel bad that I was here reading all the great stuff and I never donated.

Not saying you're wrong and respect your thoughts but that brings up the question of what is putting one's time in? (sorry, I skimmed the following posts after this one so know it has been kind of addressed but...) I don't know if I've put my time in, maybe to some and to others I may just be a nuisance. I hope my review has been helpful and will continue to be helpful. I hope my posts have had some value (OK, I know some have been horrible). I just don't know what putting time is and who decides other than GG, JB, and those that are close to them and THP. Like it or not, and I'm not saying it is a bad thing, there are some good ol' boys vibes that do creep into minds. I think they do have an impact in not only clouding newbies minds but others as well. It is the nature of the beast I suppose.

Your posts have been fine. And I think you've done a great job with the Compression board. I have been a member since September 1, 2009, and I received my first product to review a little over a year later (The Burner 2.0 irons). I watched many other people get the opportunity to test/review products and I was always there to congratulate them and support them in their testing. I asked questions, I bumped the thread with what I thought was relevancy. That's what I mean by putting in the time. There were seasoned THP'ers here before me and I read and supported every one of their reviews. I never complained, never asked for a thing. I made friends, we talked about golf, and equipment, we got to know one another. We had the 12 Days of Holiday Cheer contest that year, and I knew every single person that won except for one, and that person never came back and shared pictures of their win. We got close. I always knew that THP was going to grow, and JB and GG will tell you that I'm one of the biggest supporters and advocates for that growth. Newer members have had opportunities to test things, some of my friends from almost two years ago are now staffers. You don't think it sucked for me not being able to apply for a staffer position? I couldn't, b/c I'm left handed. I think that sucks, but I have always been there for them, I've read every review and I've commented on probably all of them. That's putting your time in, in my opinion. It's not about what one does for themselves, but how they support their friends, their fellow testers, that's what I do. And you will be hard pressed to find anyone who does it as well as I do.

Keep it the same JB. I'm a fairly new member, but I joined to find out about equipment and just to have fun talking to other golfers about golf. THP's motto is "Don't just play golf, Live it" and I think the people who complain about not winning things are here for the wrong reasons. I think this forum is awesome the way it is JB.

Well said lukey. Oh and congrats to your heels beating my dawgs yesterday, good game.

Your posts have been fine. And I think you've done a great job with the Compression board. I have been a member since September 1, 2009, and I received my first product to review a little over a year later (The Burner 2.0 irons). I watched many other people get the opportunity to test/review products and I was always there to congratulate them and support them in their testing. I asked questions, I bumped the thread with what I thought was relevancy. That's what I mean by putting in the time. There were seasoned THP'ers here before me and I read and supported every one of their reviews. I never complained, never asked for a thing. I made friends, we talked about golf, and equipment, we got to know one another. We had the 12 Days of Holiday Cheer contest that year, and I knew every single person that won except for one, and that person never came back and shared pictures of their win. We got close. I always knew that THP was going to grow, and JB and GG will tell you that I'm one of the biggest supporters and advocates for that growth. Newer members have had opportunities to test things, some of my friends from almost two years ago are now staffers. You don't think it sucked for me not being able to apply for a staffer position? I couldn't, b/c I'm left handed. I think that sucks, but I have always been there for them, I've read every review and I've commented on probably all of them. That's putting your time in, in my opinion. It's not about what one does for themselves, but how they support their friends, their fellow testers, that's what I do. And you will be hard pressed to find anyone who does it as well as I do.

Fine post friend, just fine.

That is a quality post right there bro! I know I have said it before but you are the reason that I stuck around. Came for a review and I remember asking a question and you took the time to answer me. Asked a few more and you were always helping out. I have been hooked ever since.

That is a quality post right there bro! I know I have said it before but you are the reason that I stuck around. Came for a review and I remember asking a question and you took the time to answer me. Asked a few more and you were always helping out. I have been hooked ever since.

Same. I came here asking questions and the entire forum was more than helpful, with JB TC and Ole Gray spending more time than any person deserved. I owe them alot.

JB, I am so sad to read your post. I think you make it abundantly clear that what THP provides is not a contest to win free stuff, but an opportunity to really learn about what is out there. THP seems to be one of the few where I can find "real" golfers give their honest opinions, not "internet" golfers. I had never posted my opinion about a golf product prior to joining THP because I felt like a fool not being able to hit 300 yard drives and have scratch handicaps. Now that I have tried my (short) reviews of certain equipments, I know how difficult it is to be objective and write concisely. I truly respect the tester's dedication and honesty and I hope it does not go away. I like it the way it is now, but any ideas you may have, I am sure many of us will fully support your decisions.

Wowww. That took me some time to read through every post and I know I'll share my though.
1- I think the way THP does the selection for testing now is great and doesn't need to be fixed. There will always be people that complain, especially on the internet where one can remain anonymous. I would recommend maybe not letting anyone know what the product they're signing up to test is. The people that say they don't signup to test certain items because they don't work for them and such seems to defeat the purpose of what THP is trying to do with their testing. If you're signing up to test, no matter what the product is you should give them all the same amount of testing and keep an open mind.
2- I considered the suggestions made about sending products back and if you're not going to put in your bag by all means play it forward to someone on here, but what if someone tests a $300-$400 driver, then they fall in love with it and then have to send it back. If they don't have the money to go purchase that driver it seems unfair to them, because golf is such a mental sport they would have zero confidence in their old driver and all they would be able to think about is the driver they can't afford.
3- The tenure idea seems great in theory, but I would think that JB and GGs goals are to grow this site. I think the way it is now brings tons of new users, which I would assume is a necessary for this site to continue to prosper.
4- This is more of a question I suppose. I saw some comments about grammar and peoples writing skills and while I would completely agree you don't want to read incoherent reviews I also thought that one of the upsides of internet forums is the convenience of being able to converse casually. I grew up with my mother being an English Professor and can say she would find errors in most posts, but it seems we all still get out of the post what the person posting intended. If I'm wrong about this please let me know as this is the first and only forum I am a member of.
5- Everyone paying for their own shipping should be done. That is very very little to ask of someone.
6- I would absolutely love constructive criticism about my reviews and please ask me any questions you may have about any product I'm testing.
7- I think the complaints about not being selected to test products are unfortunately a look into our society as a whole. I just had a debate over the weekend with someone about winning the lottery and whether we would take a lump sum (losing a percentage of money) or take monthly payments (that in the long run would equal much more). We factored out the argument of "what if you die in two months?" and also this was just a hypothetical argument I'm not sure exactly how the lottery payout works. The person I was debating with represented the side that I believe the vast majority of the public is becoming. Someone randomly wins the lottery and then needs the money so badly they're willing to take a significant lose to receive it quickly. That seems so wrong to me, there's no way that person was planning on winning the lottery so they shouldn't need that money to survive or maintain their life. I'm not sure that gets my point across, but I don't want to type to much more because everyone trying to catch up on this thread has enough to read already.

HI folks,
As a relative newbie to this fine site, I must say that it is the most comprehensive and informative site that I have been too. Over the past month, I have read many reviews and have entered my name once to test equipment. I feel it is not a contest but a responsibility to the folks who come here. I have yet to find, I am not even looking now, a better site that has reviews by the PEOPLE. I can understand club lust and some wanting the chance to obtain testing equipment. It would be totally RAD, to test cool stuff and review it. I would and have not been upset that my name has not been drawn (I understand that I am new and also that its luck of the drw). What I do like, is the fact that the 'common folk' get to review products. I ask myself how many times have I not known about a sensational product and not had a chance to try it. When I came here, I saw that the people were testing, this information was so VALUABLE, its not just the pro's blowing sunshine to sell product. I HAVE bought products that have been reviewed here because the feedback that RESPONSIBLE and HARDWORKING (its a labour of love I am sure :)) testers provided. I have continuosly recommended and spread the good word about this site. I will continue to do so. I would like to thank THP for even considering the members testing this equipment. I say continue the hard and valuable work you folks do. It is truley a passionate and friendly group here.
Mark

I joined the same time TC did. I too have always been supportive of the testers and offered congratulations and well wishes to them. I also enjoyed reading their reviews and seeing how serious they took their responsibilities as testers. I too have put in my time, helped people out when I could, posted reviews of equipment on my own when I thought it might be of interest, and if I found a deal somewhere didn't hesitate to let folks know. I've donated, bought stuff at the store, commiserated, and tried to be there for others. Unlike TC though I've never been to an outing due to scheduling conflicts, and I've yet to meet a fellow THPer. Also, unlike TC I've yet to be a tester for golf clubs. Yes, sometimes that annoys me and no, sometimes it doesn't. In any event this is a terrific website, and even as it undergone tremendous growth it still retains a high level of civility, which is quite refreshing.

No $$$ for donating = No $$$ for golfing = Not a good candidate to be a tester. So let's all drop the whole I can't afford to donate to the site but I want to still be eligible for testing.

Testing SHOULD be a perk to get more people to donate to the site and to help support this community. It is not a right one has because they post 100 times a week. Hey people, if your posting 100 times a week then don't you think you should help support the site so it continues to stick around??

I am still new and am enjoying my "free trial" period that I know will soon end. All signs point to me sticking around and giving up some of my kids college fund to support what is going on in here (JK, maybe a round or 2 of golf fees....). But let's get off the high horse of what this site needs to be doing for YOU in terms of testing and turn our attention on what this site is doing right for everyone else as a group.

No $$$ for donating = No $$$ for golfing = Not a good candidate to be a tester. So let's all drop the whole I can't afford to donate to the site but I want to still be eligible for testing.

Testing SHOULD be a perk to get more people to donate to the site and to help support this community. It is not a right one has because they post 100 times a week. Hey people, if your posting 100 times a week then don't you think you should help support the site so it continues to stick around??

I am still new and am enjoying my "free trial" period that I know will soon end. All signs point to me sticking around and giving up some of my kids college fund to support what is going on in here (JK, maybe a round or 2 of golf fees....). But let's get off the high horse of what this site needs to be doing for YOU in terms of testing and turn our attention on what this site is doing right for everyone else as a group.

While I can see your point, some people save up for months to pay for memberships at the beginning of the year so they don't have to pay for golf all year. I like your logic though and agree with alot of your points.

I think people just need to try and suck it up and wait for their opportunity. Hopefully we'll all get one, one day, and just capitalize on your chance to possibly make you a great candidate for future testing.

From the iPhone.

While I agree to a certain extent, I do not believe that not being a donor should automatically exclude you from testing. For example, my parents are allowing me a golf membership, meaning I will pay nothing out of pocket for golf. I would still be able to test, but it may take a little bit for me to get a decent donation together. Does that mean I should be excluded if I plan to donate after my next paycheck, but have not at the time of signup. An extreme case, but the no donation, no testing stance is a little extreme too.

Back