Flying leap on equipment

Templet0n

washed...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
snow..
What was the last piece of equipment that you ordered or purchased site unseen and just taking a flying leap on?

How did it work out?

C722 driver with a ventus blue. Loved then it had an issue TE sent me a c723 and I love it.

Apex UW. Love it so far

What was the last piece of equipment that you ordered or purchased site unseen and just taking a flying leap on?

How did it work out?
Probably my irons from college.. Callaway x forged from 08/09 ish.. worked great then

Cleveland Hywood 3+. Ordered it with a Tensei Blue 55R rather than the stock Aldila. Had never hit it or the shaft.

Result - when I actually did go do a fairway wood/hybrid fit, nothing performed better. Tried a bunch of various 3W and 5W, the Hywood was longer and always straight. Same result with a Ping G430 4H Alta R that I also bought sight-unseen. Nothing else out-performed it. I left the fitting how I walked it, with the Hywood 3_ and 4H at the top of the bag along with driver (that I was fit into the previous week).

That said, the driver was an example where what I was going to buy sight unseen (either G430 Max 10K or Cleveland) ended up being a lesser performer to the one that I hit significantly better (Smoke Max). So it is a mixed bag going blind for me...

How did it work out?
It's been a while but it's probably a putter. I will get enamored with the aesthetics of one and will buy without trying. Right now its the Odyssey AI Milled 6T that is calling me.

Tried new gloves. Local company out of Idaho called Pelican Golf. Look great. Grip was lacking though. The palm was slick for some reason and caused the club to move in my hand. Need to open another to see if maybe it was just and issue with the one.

Tried new gloves. Local company out of Idaho called Pelican Golf. Look great. Grip was lacking though. The palm was slick for some reason and caused the club to move in my hand. Need to open another to see if maybe it was just and issue with the one.
I know them. I think they are an Asher offshoot.. they look the same..

Everything TSR in my bag. Wasn’t really a flying leap, however, I did factor in the shaft and grip properties that were likely to work best.

I know them. I think they are an Asher offshoot.. they look the same..
Look very similar but the fit is definitely different and the leather feels different. The thumb is a bit long for my hand for the Pelican. Asher fits my hand so well.

In 2012, after reading reviews on THP, I ordered the following without having ever seen them in person:

- Cleveland Mashie 15.5* with Miyazaki shaft
- Cleveland Mashie 3h with Miyazaki shaft
- Bridgestone J15CB 4-PW

I still have the Cleveland Mashies in play and only took the irons out of play October of 2023. I would say both purchases worked out favorably.

I'm too big of a coward and cheapskate to buy something without hitting it first.

Callaway Rogue driver with an Evenflow Blue shaft. It was either pre-THP or very early in my THP time. It was a total blind flyer from the Dollar Driver Club.

It was an improvement over my 4-5 year old RBZ Stage 2 but not nearly as good as the Epic Flash with which I replaced it. That shaft is one of my favorites.

I was looking at an Evenflow Blue last night and almost pulled the trigger.

Bought a 3 wood unseen and it's not working for me...will be in the market soon

How did it work out?
Almost 6 years ago I told @spacebandito I was tired of mallet putters and that he could take a Scotty blade he had and refinish it. Still using it.

ST-MAX - so far so good. But I have a few shafts here and did buy another for additional testing.

Jaws Raw wedges - also so far so good - but still very very new - few swings/uses.

My current 3W and 3hy. I was just coming out of a long hiatus from golf a few years back and needed to fill out the bag, so I picked up used Ping G410s without any thought. They've actually worked out fine so I haven't replaced them, but after having hit some new stuff, definitely pondering an upgrade. I've also picked up wedges and putters in the past sight unseen that have generally worked out fine. There was one putter that I really didn't get along with.

I've come close on an Apex UW several times purely due to rave reviews on THP. To the point where its been in the cart on multiple occasions (new and used) and then I chicken out.

Blind bought a set of 3 OG Cleveland CBX wedges (48*,54*,60*) based off initial THP review from @Jman. Worked out great. I've always had at least one Cleveland specialty wedge in the bag every refresh since.

Tour Edge HL4 driver - didn't work well at all.

Last year. Bought a Srixon ZX utility iron in 23° with a UST Recoil 95 shaft. I was hoping to fill a gap around the middle of my bag.

Love at first swing. Great balance, really nice top line, considering it’s thick sole, and feels beautiful when struck well. Best of all, it gaps exactly where I wanted.

Everything in my bag, with the exception of putter, was purchased this way, all between Nov23 and Jan24. The last items bought were the Ai Smoke Driver and 3wd. Prior to that it was the Apex Super Hybrid. I took a flying leap on these because of reviews here on THP. I'd say its all worked out very well!

I hadn't hit the King Tec hybrids at all before I pulled the trigger on them at the start of the season. I heard a bunch of positive feedback on them and the adjustability they offer from several forum members I trust and went with it.

Glad I did I've been enjoying the 3 and 5 King Tec hybrids I got.

Apex UW. Love it so far
This for me as well. Saw so many people gushing about it, ordered it and it has performed better than I could have hoped for.

Back