Do You Have a DVR/TiVo

Do You Have a DVR/TiVo

• Total voters
In a week or so, after you have everything figured out, you will see how much better the DVR is over videotaping everything. Just make sure you extend your recordings on Sundays (football games going over the scheduled time) and extending any sporting event you record.

Ok - I can understand taping a sport's event that you don't want to miss, but anything other than that - I don't understand. So here is my question - do you find yourself watching more television now that you have a DVR?

Diane, it's not just for sports. We record all the shows that we would watch anyway, and now we can watch them at our convenience AND we can skip all the commercials. A lot of times we will just delay watching a show for 15 minutes just so we can go through it faster (skipping the commercials). We don't watch any more than we did before.

Don't have one. I don't want to pay extra for the DVR. I will eventually break down and get one but I'm just not sure when I will do that.

do you find yourself watching more television now that you have a DVR?

No, im just watching better TV. Now when im winding down, instead of watching the construction of the Panama Canal on History Channel, im watching shows that I actually follow.

I like to watch television first thing in the morning, when I'm on the elliptical machine. I almost never watch it live.

No, im just watching better TV. Now when im winding down, instead of watching the construction of the Panama Canal on History Channel, im watching shows that I actually follow.

Now I hate to admit it, but I tape The History Channel. They just had a great one on the ghosts of Deadwood!

Now I hate to admit it, but I tape The History Channel. They just had a great one on the ghosts of Deadwood!

I do it too but I used to watch anything that was on there, now I filter through the junk.

I also have to admit, I now leave the lights on when Liz isn't home!

don't watch tv at all.

I dont have a DVR. My girlfriend has one and its pretty sweet though.

They really are a great addiction. I tape the early football games on Sunday afternoon and turn the radio off on the way home so I don't hear the score, lol. Don't want to ruin it.

Im going to have to use it for the end of the Dodger game. Ive got hockey tonight.

Does Comcast offer online programming for their DVRs? Until you get your remote, you could just go on to their website and set up what you want recorded.

When do you get your remote?

We should move this part of the thread, and I think I will.

I grabbed the upstairs remote and am forcing it to work. The whole process continues to make me nuts, because I have to choose the show, enter the choice, confirm the choice, press again to prove I really mean it, and on and on. Plus I can't seem to get it to record a show every week. I much prefer set and forget. But I'll look for the online stuff.

And in the meantime, I'll continue to blame you. :blowkiss:

I grabbed the upstairs remote and am forcing it to work. The whole process continues to make me nuts, because I have to choose the show, enter the choice, confirm the choice, press again to prove I really mean it, and on and on. Plus I can't seem to get it to record a show every week. I much prefer set and forget. But I'll look for the online stuff.

That's much more complicated than Verizon's FIOS TV DVR recording process. I just go to the show, click Info, click "Record". If I want to record the series of that same show, instead of clicking on "Record", I arrow down to "Record Series". There isn't a confirmation step to annoy me.

Uhh, usually you just go to the on-screen guide and press the record button once to record only that episode, and press it twice to record the whole series. That's DirecTV though. Maybe someone with Comcast will chime in.

Uhh, usually you just go to the on-screen guide and press the record button once to record only that episode, and press it twice to record the whole series. That's DirecTV though. Maybe someone with Comcast will chime in.

I think that's what the web site is telling me as well, though it's not clear if I have a single or dual tuner DVR--mine doesn't look like any of their pictures. Love how un-intuitive all this stuff is. Remote programming doesn't appear to be an option. Does the DVR need to have the blue numbers showing to record? I'd hope not, but as long as I'm asking dumb questions.

I still blame you for all of this, Harry.

I think that's what the web site is telling me as well, though it's not clear if I have a single or dual tuner DVR--mine doesn't look like any of their pictures. Love how un-intuitive all this stuff is. Remote programming doesn't appear to be an option. Does the DVR need to have the blue numbers showing to record? I'd hope not, but as long as I'm asking dumb questions.

I still blame you for all of this, Harry.

Blue numbers?

Almost all DVRs now are dual tuner. If it's single tuner, take it back and tell 'em to stick it.

Blue numbers?

Almost all DVRs now are dual tuner. If it's single tuner, take it back and tell 'em to stick it.

Blue numbers = the unit is turned on and the channel number is showing.

I wouldn't have a clue how to check if it's dual or single. I can record two shows at once--does that make it dual?

Have you tried not using the beta-max remote Claire?

Well, if the eight track had a remote, I'd try that one...

I give up.

I give up.

I'm surprised you lasted this long. If you did have signatures turned on, you'd see that mind is headed with "Technoklutz."

But I still blame you.

So it really is hopeless. :banghead: I had two shows set to record at 9:00 pm. The Kid was watching television, and it screwed him up. So he shut down the DVR on me. :banghead:

Back